Bias Ply vs Radial Tires - toughness? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 28th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Bmxer06pa
Doug S
2000 disco 2

I really like my KM2's. I would absolutely recommend them. They handle very well on the road. I'm positive you won't even notice the slight road noise they make with your earplugs in. I hear they don't have the longest life, but I have had them for a few years. I assume we drive our trucks about the same amount of time, only once or twice a week so you should expect a pretty long life too.
As far as size is concerned you should get 33's and buy a lift. It is only a matter of time before you do it. The only thing worse than buying something expensive is taking it off and buying something else. I could have saved myself tons of money in the long run if I just went for it the first time instead of trying to be conservative and sane a few bucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2012, 06:11 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
A defender on 235's will go anywhere a defender on 285's will go.

When you lift it you run the risk of driveline issues, and the extra wear and tear of the bigger heavier tires. I have found the KM2s to be a little louder than the originals. I have been impressed with the KM2's nonetheless.
Old February 28th, 2012, 06:47 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
FYI:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=36162
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 29th, 2012, 09:13 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
No kidding, mud tires wear out quick on pavement.

------ Follow up post added February 28th, 2012 09:14 AM ------

The MT/Rs are a long way from getting dirty, so I can't offer a review. The Dura Tracs are prolly a better all around tire. Compound not so soft and an almost equally aggressive tread to the MT/R. Slightly cheaper too. I will certainly try to off road on them.
I've read the Duratracs are the better all around tire. And they a supposed to run a bit smaller/lighter than the same size in the MTR/K which would be of help to some people.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the MTR/K's. But I'm close to saying "truck it" and just getting a set for mine. I cannot find one bad review of them on all the Jeeper and Yota forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
You should just get a different set of wheels and tires for offroading. It takes little time to change a set and then you don't have to sacrifice anything but time before you go hit a trail or go camping.
Like Charles mentioned about space issues, there is also the factor of the cost (wheel, tire, mount, balance) and if you are running lower gears the factor of keeping the same size or bigger to enjoy better MPG. If your tire of choice is a bias ply Swamper than I agree a 2nd set of road tire but it might be easier just to get a small compact car for DD duties.

And there is a factor of how many miles the Defender is driven. I do about 5,000 miles/year on mine and that is including the trips to the trail. Even if I wear thru a set of tires in 20k miles, I will be sick of looking at them anyways

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Ed, my advice to you based on your multi-use would be to go with a 235/85-16 (stock size, and what I have on the 110) in either a BFG A/T or BFG KM2. I think you'd be better served by the KM2 as you'll find they're surprisingly comfortable on road, but may cost a tad more.

It isn't going to be cheap, BUT you'll avoid the issues you had at Rausch this weekend. Just my $0.02.

However, it is also worth noting that Ed - and his stock D - did great with the exception of this tire issue at Rausch. As Charles kept saying, it is a testimonial to what a stock Defender is capable of!
Stock defenders are very capable especially a light one like Ed's. I bet his could be an easy 500# lighter than mine maybe even 500# lighter than a stock NAS rig. I know from mtn biking that riding a lighter bike take a lot less energy and is easier to manuver.
Old February 29th, 2012, 12:54 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
One thing I failed to mention was the two month wait for the MTR/K. The Dura Tracs came within a week of placing the order.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old February 29th, 2012, 01:11 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
One thing I failed to mention was the two month wait for the MTR/K. The Dura Tracs came within a week of placing the order.
That's what I've been finding. Trying to find them online and get shipped. I might even do it 2 at a time so the cost doesn't hurt as bad all at once.
Old February 29th, 2012, 01:35 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
5x 235/85-16 MTR/K delivered for 1018.90.
5x 245/75-16 delivered for 1068.70

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old February 29th, 2012, 01:53 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
If your tire of choice is a bias ply Swamper than I agree a 2nd set of road tire but it might be easier just to get a small compact car for DD duties.
Don, this was my reasoning.

I have two other very reliable and civilized cars. The Defender is an animal and I don't see using it for anything or than wheeling or taking the occasional drive around Fairfax or DC to "boil the oil", so to speak.

The only thing that worries me about the bias ply is when I drive the truck to and from the trails. But I had to wear earplugs in my truck with the street tires. I don't see the noise becoming worse (god forbid it could get worse) with bias ply tires on.

From what I am reading, I could live with the disadvantages of the bias ply in order to have its extreme toughness for when I really need it.
Old February 29th, 2012, 02:04 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I still doubt you "need" it! the stiffer sidewall may will not necessarily help you with the type of wheeling you currently do. It seems that the disadvantages of a bias ply far outweigh the advantages in your case.
Old March 1st, 2012, 06:05 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
The only thing that worries me about the bias ply is when I drive the truck to and from the trails. But I had to wear earplugs in my truck with the street tires. I don't see the noise becoming worse (god forbid it could get worse) with bias ply tires on.
Oh yes it can

In answer to your PM. The truck was lifted, can't for the life of me remember what the springs were, possibly RRC police spec. heavy duty. I do remember the shocks being 2" over and the springs giving about 1 1/2" to 2" lift. The top mounts on the rear shocks were dropped 2" too. The rear radius arms are cranked for extra droop and strengthened. (I've seen rear radius arms collapse if the truck rolls back hard into an immovable object.) It was a very capable truck in the right hands and would get to places that it didn't look like it should have.

I found tyres larger than 235/85 to be hard work on the road with the 3.54: diffs and the 1.222:1 transfer box.
I did run some pretty aggressive tyres towards the end of my ownership - Simex.

Two spares is the way forward.

The pic below it was running 7.50 16 S.A.Ts Cross ply tyres. The radial's were better. The only tyre I ever broke had a huge "flake" of flint straight through the centre of the tread - complete write off - sliced straight through and left a 3" gash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	southern_safari_2003_025.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	48478  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tire, tires