BFG or Goodyear MT ? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 11th, 2003, 10:56 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

BFG or Goodyear MT ?

Well, I'm getting ready to purchase a set of these in 33x12.5x15 and 15x8 rims and could use some help finalizing the decision.

They're going into a '97 D90 with a Rockware/OME HD/Rancho setup. Bottom line, which is better for on road use? They're both good enough for the off road use I'll be giving them so I guess this is the deciding question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Britt Easterly
Britt Easterly
97 Defender 90

Thumbs down

I had the MTR on my Disco and will never buy them again. Although they were very quiet on the road, offroad they were to soft and broke off in chunks when encoutering rocks. Just my two cents but they are are not a Northwest offroad capable tire.

SOLID
Old October 11th, 2003, 06:43 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Its vert funny peoples different opinions. I would say get the MTR's. i have had both and believe the Goodyear is far superior in everything but possibly mud. If you do get the MTR's go 35s they run small.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2003, 12:12 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I also have 35" MTRs they do very well in everything but mud.
Old October 12th, 2003, 12:47 PM
comac90
Troy McNeill
Always looking...

i've run 35" and 37" MTRs on my D90 and BFGs on a disco i used to have. in my experience, without question, the MTRs are a superior tire. I've run both tires on east coast trails (read: mud and loose dirt) like Tellico, etc. numerous times when living in NC and on rocks (Cruces, Moab, Iron Chest, etc) while living here in CO.

i my in experience, in ALL cases, the MTRs were superior. mine have rarely 'chunked' (no more than the BFGs did) & the sidewalls have held up better. i went thru 3 BFGs with small sidewall tears & 1 MTR with a big tear.

&, i echo Buck .... go with the 35s. they only measure a hair over 34".
T
Old October 12th, 2003, 09:20 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

The only time I would chose BFG MT over the MTR if I'm looking to get the most life out of the tires other wise go with MTR's. I think BFG MT could last up to 60K miles with no problem where the MTR is 30K miles max.
Old October 12th, 2003, 09:32 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Yeah, I think that's the deciding factor for me since the vast majority of the time the truck will be a daily driver.
Old October 12th, 2003, 09:46 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Regarding the 35's don't listen to those guys (Take it easy on me now) Unless you have gears then 35's is the way to go. Auto with 35's and no gears is a bad idea. The transmission will keep shifting and shifting trying to find a low gear and 4th gear, what 4th gear If it's a manual then it's a different story.

33's is a good way to go with your setup.
Old October 12th, 2003, 09:55 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

No way to 35's...

A man's gotta know the limitations of his toys!
Old October 13th, 2003, 08:09 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I only got 25k out of a set of BFG MTs so I don't think the milage is that different.
Old October 13th, 2003, 11:06 AM
Toddco
Todd Klueger
1995 Defender 90

More power

Beef up your motor, Electic fans, Better intake, K&N, Headers, Igintion, and 2.5 " exhaust out the back. My 95 D-90 sports 37" MTR's with stock gears and 96,000 miles. On the interstate GPS-mph 75 in fith is right at 2400 RPM. This pulls fine with plenty of power to pass. 70 MPH in 4th is 3000 RPM. I get on average about 15 mpg. These motors will make some power if you free them up a little! When I blow everyone off the mountain they allways want to see whats under the hood. I do a lot of rocking crawling with these gears also. I wanted to be in the middle of drivabilty on the road (speed wise), and still go off road.
Old October 13th, 2003, 04:53 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Mike, were they km or older style. I had the older style in 35X12.5X15 and I used them for 30+K miles and the previous owner had them for 15K miles and when I sold them they had 50% tread and the current owner of those tires is still using them. I know two guys here in CO, one sold his when he had 60K miles and the other is at 40K miles and they still look good.
Go to www.colorado4x4.org. There is a good discussion about how long they last vs. the MTR's, and Swampers.

I agree with Britt, mine are losing big chunks of rubber and if they keep doing that then my next tires won't be the MTR's.

BTW, check with Art Vigil, he is running BFG MT KM in 255/85/16 with similar suspension setup and his 90 looks sweet.
Old October 13th, 2003, 06:54 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

They were the old ones. Not sure why the whent so fast?? They were 265 75 R16s and they were on my old Ford Ranger. I rotated them twice???? I don't know why they whent so fast???
Old October 20th, 2003, 03:17 PM
KeithD
Keith Duckett
90 V8 Import

Registry
Interco TrXus are probably better on road than either, and in snow - where the BFGs suck. The MTRs are a better all round traction tire - not sure if BFGs are better than TrXus in mud. The 285/75s are a bit smaller than spec, but don't know if this applies across all size ranges.
Old October 20th, 2003, 03:34 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I thought my BFG 285/75 MTs were fantastic in last years snow ot on and off road. Aired them down to 30psi and was all good to go.

CVC

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old October 20th, 2003, 03:46 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
LOL, from Mike: "I don't know why they went so fast???"...

I wonder Mike, I really wonder...

I run 285/75 MTR's. Arthur, I'll be at the Cityside Garage (Holliston, MA) event on Wednesday night, the 22nd if you want to see what they look like. They are barely 33", if that. Maybe even 32"...ugh. The MTR sizing is small across their range of sizes; 33, 35,37, etc.

I've only had a problem in with mud at 20 psi. I should have gone lower but was lazy. The sidewalls on the MTR are stiff, so you have to take them low in pressure. It must be that "durawall" construction.

I've got about 20K miles on them so far and the wear is minimal. Even with some tears from rocks. My neighbor in my garage asked me the other day if they were new tires.

I would also recommend the Interco Trxs as they seem solid on the other trucks I've seen run them.

The BFG MT's run really well in mud, as they should and seem to do good on rock. Tires are such a tough choice.
Old October 22nd, 2003, 10:59 AM
KeithD
Keith Duckett
90 V8 Import

Registry
Even BFG themselves don't rate their mud tire well in snow - check their web site. Unless the snow is very deep ATs can be a better bet in snow - its a matter of sipes mainly. You can always get chains, as long as you have enough clearance, and then you are laughing no matter what rubber you have - dont go over 30mph though! I got some Norwegain V chains for $100 Canadian a pair and they are awesome.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bfg