Bfg Km - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 16th, 2004, 02:12 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Bfg Km

I'm about to purchase a set of BFG MT 33x12.5x15. Costco has the KM for $161.

I assume this is the only MT model out there, right?

Anyone know of a better price out there? I was going with Towne Fair but they're at $210!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2004, 05:36 AM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
I have been checking around for the 255/85 R16 version of the MT and have found it at BJ's warehouse for $151 (that includes mounting and balancing), and at NTB for $132 (plus $15 mounting and balancing for each tire). I just got my 2 inch lift from rovertym and need to purchase some new rubber. BTW, the new springs and trailing arms look really nice.

-Mike
Old April 16th, 2004, 08:46 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Art, I'm not sure if I understood what you mean but there is a whole line of BFG MT's. The KM series is just the current design of the MTs. Here is a link to their whole MT line up:
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/asset...rain_ta_km.pdf

Also, do you already have 15" rims?

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2004, 10:25 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Chris,

I meant is there another current designation besides KM.

I purchased Rockware's setup with 15x8 Unique rims. Looking at the chart from your link it says that the 33x12.5x15 rim width range begins at 8.5. I hope this isn't a problem since many run the 15x8's with this setup.
Old April 16th, 2004, 10:28 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

You should be fine. I've seen people run the 33X12.5 on rims sizes between 7"-10".
Old April 16th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/currentGr...?productID=138

They have them for $146 then you take this into Discount Tire and they will match it. I got my 37 MTR for $161 a tire this way. Oh and BTW, if you have a moment of clarity, they also carry the MT/Rs.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 16th, 2004, 12:00 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

"Oh and BTW, if you have a moment of clarity, they also carry the MT/Rs"

Well, my moment of clarity came when I decided that my on road use requirement means the BFG is a much better option.

This is my daily driver so I need a relatively long lasting, quiet tire. So, the MT/R is out.

Right???
Old April 16th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Well, maybe. The MT/r is way quiter than the BFG on road but I have heard the bfg does last longer. I know people that got 30k out of MT/R's too. Think it depends on application. If you are not really going to take it offroad, then it doesn't matter!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 16th, 2004, 12:27 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Sure it goes offroad but 90% of the time it won't. I can't afford to replace tires on too frequent a basis so longevity is the overriding issue.

Quiet is secondary. I'm already running a louder exhaust so no need to compound that unnecessarily. I can crank up the music only so much!
Old April 16th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

In that case, I would recommend the BFG All terrain, cheaper and will last the longest and is quiet. It does okay for what it is offroad too.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 16th, 2004, 12:50 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I'm running AT's now on stock rims. I want to go to a larger size MT, use Rockware's setup and save the stock rims/tires.

Hence the decision to go with BFG.
Old April 16th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Have you look at Interco TrXus?? Much better traction IME in all conditions. Should be about the same price. Probably won't wear as long though.

MT/Rs are also much better but usually more expensive.
Old April 16th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

BFG All-Terrains are maybe the worst tire you could buy IMO. If you want a good combo mud/street tire look at the Dunlop Radial Rover R/T.

I have run those on two different Range Rovers and have liked them a lot.

I had AT's on my RRC for a year or so and they were terrible. I was wheeling in the PNW at the time in lots of muck, so maybe that's why I don't like them that much.
Old April 16th, 2004, 02:09 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

From being around them on the trails, AT's are horrid in mud and on out East coast mountain trails covered with that loose woodland moist dirt crap.

Out West like in Moab however, they performed nicer than my MTs

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old April 16th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hey,

I never said they didn't suck. But if you are offtroad 10% of the time and longevity and price is paramount, they are a good pick. BTW Mike, you sure you don't want my CV? I am leaving Sunday and my truck is going to be out of commission for a while so it will be hard to need a spare when you are not really driving it. You could just get one back to me whenever.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 16th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

David, I think I might need two of them actually, so getting one, although good, isn't what I need to do.

Thanks though!

Old April 16th, 2004, 03:17 PM
KeithD
Keith Duckett
90 V8 Import

Registry
I'll repeat John B's comments on TrXus. a couple of weeks ago in mostly snowy but a fair bit of mud too - TrXus on my near standard 90 (just a rear truetrac) comprehensively outgripped a Rubicon with MTRs. And remember the Rubi has a rear LSD and lockers. Common sentiment is that The MTR is not that good in mud either and is best in dry conditions. They are quiet too, but prob won't last as long as BFGs. Identical price here to BFGs and much cheaper than MTRs. The Rubi was on 245s against my 285s but at 12 against 16 psi so i dont think tire size a huge enough factor to explain why the Trxus gripped better. Certainly not my (crap) off roading technique.
Old April 16th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I don't want to jump on this and come off as a jerk and have NO first hand experience with TrXus so it might be an amazing tire. But the above quote means absolutely nothing. Different vehicles, different weights, different drivers, much differnent suspensions. The D-90 transfers weight in a completely different fashon than the 4-link TJ. Next well compare the two tires on a MIL LAV and Toy Mini truck.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 16th, 2004, 04:30 PM
januconn92
Jan Jurgielewicz
97 D90 #1477 Green ST

BFG's

I just ordered 4 NATO rims from AB, they recommend the 255/85 as the biggest tire to put on, are the BFG KM's (link Chris sent) Radial tires??

does anyone know if BJ's or Costco carry them?

thanks,

Jan
Old April 16th, 2004, 06:21 PM
roverx
Scott Preston
1969 Ser IIA Tdi Hybrid

BFG MT

Hey Art,

I just got a set of 255-85-16 BFG-MT last month from the Plymouth Town Fair tire off exit 5 RT3. They were $132. each plus $15 for M&B.
2003 VW Jetta wagon 1.9 Tdi 5 speed
1995 Range Rover Classic 300 Tdi SoftDash (My Son's)

"Be the person your dog thinks you are"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bfg