BesTop Repairs? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 29th, 2003, 07:02 PM
boshea
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

BesTop Repairs?

Has anyone out there had any seams repaired or tears sewn up on their soft-tops? If so, what did it cost and how effective was it?

Thanks,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2003, 09:55 PM
Neo
Jeffrey Rosbrugh
95 D90 ST #2585

I have repaired mine, and will probably continue to do so until I can afford a Badger, if that will ever happen. Mine tore out at the back sides, same place I have seen others when the top begins to deteriorate. It cost $75.00 and has actually worked quite well. This was about six months back, and it continues to hold without further ripping. They glues and then stitched new fabric over the old. After purchasing tops at $500 for other trucks I own, (J$$P) I cannot understand why a D-90 top costs 5X more. Still does not make sense to me except LRNA wont allow BesTop to sell to anyone else! But thne my local dealer charges roughly 5X what I can buy the parts for elsewhere.
Old December 29th, 2003, 10:08 PM
boshea
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

Thanks Jeff, I will give it a try. Mine are tearing at the same spot...and in the back along the sides. What a piece of crap the top is, almost as shotty as that poor excuse of a cubby box.

Cheers,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2003, 10:22 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Having had too many convertibles with rotted out seams, I was able to repair mine myself.

Go to a sewing store and buy a curved needle kit. May also be called a canvas sewing needle. Also get some heavy duty black canvas thread. Then, go home and start sewing! My top had about 6 ripped seams when I bought it and I sewed them all back together. When you're done, spread a little clear silicone on the inside of the repair job.

FWIW, I zipped the back window up the other night in the cold and my repair job held while the parts I hadn't repaired ripped.

Only costs a few bucks and an hour or two.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bestop