Best way to take off soft top? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 13th, 2008, 12:50 PM
ollieskins
Wade Garrett
1994 defender 90

Best way to take off soft top?

I know, I'm a newbie, but I've heard these tops are hard to take off, & I don't see any tensionors etc in the front above the windshield. What's the best approach?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2008, 01:17 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

getting it off isn't the difficult part. it's getting it on that's a PITA.

... as for getting it off, I always undid the belt rail first, then undid all the snaps/ velcro inside, then rolled it up from the back of the truck forward. it's really pretty self explanatory once you get to doing it. In front above the windshield is just like another belt rail. Again, pretty self explanatory once you get to it.

as for getting it back on... i always kept a heat gun handy. worked beautifully, no matter how cold it was outside.
Old June 13th, 2008, 07:48 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Just be sure if you take the door tops off to be careful -it's a pain the first time especially if they've been on a while:

1. Once you remove the door top nuts there is nothing else holding it down. DO NOT use a hammer to strike it - you'll get nowhere and possibly dent the door.

2. Slide the window open and put some upwards pressure on the door tops for a while - you'll think nothing is happening but then you'll realize the only thing holding it down is the rubber seal. It shoudl start to give. Sometimes they've been on so long it's virtually glued to the top of the painted aluminum door. If it's really stuck I'd spray some silicone lubricant and let it sit a bit - say overnight. Maybe use a plastic knife to get under it with lubricant. On my 97 when I pulled off the tops it was so stuck that it took some of the paint off so I wish I had taken more time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2008, 07:56 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
when you try and put it on leave it in the sun for a few hours. I had a friend with an FJ40 it was a major FB to get it back on.
Old June 13th, 2008, 08:25 PM
badgerman
Christopher Laws
1964 Land Badger
D-90 Source Vendor

Hey Sheik Youbouti,

What are you goin' on about?

"Me and my pygmy pony over by the dental floss bush"
Old June 13th, 2008, 08:39 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerman
Hey Sheik Youbouti,

What are you goin' on about?

"Me and my pygmy pony over by the dental floss bush"
Heh Heh. Hey shouldn't you be behind the machine finishing up the Badger I top just ordered Mr. Laws!!!??

You know what's funny? I JUST got back from Montana on a trip with the family. I thought about that song a bunch while I was up there. I didn't see any crops of dental floss.... strange.... and this whole time I thought it's where they grew it.

Hutch
Old June 13th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch
DO NOT use a hammer to strike it - you'll get nowhere and possibly dent the door.
I learned the hard way on that one!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old June 14th, 2008, 07:55 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch
Heh Heh. Hey shouldn't you be behind the machine finishing up the Badger I top just ordered Mr. Laws!!!??

You know what's funny? I JUST got back from Montana on a trip with the family. I thought about that song a bunch while I was up there. I didn't see any crops of dental floss.... strange.... and this whole time I thought it's where they grew it.

Hutch
Did you get the notice. Badger is closed for the weekend for Le Mans
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
soft top