best way to remove rusty door hinges?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 5th, 2011, 10:36 AM
bar11
rob grentz
1994 defender 90

best way to remove rusty door hinges??

I kno this may seem like a silly question but hey arn't they all, I am replacing my doors on a '94 d-90 and the hinges are the ones that came with the truck they are rusty as heck and won't budge even after a good soaking..... I'm looking for any tips/tricks Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 5th, 2011, 10:42 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Try an impact screwdriver. If that fails drill the screws out.
Old July 5th, 2011, 10:44 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
What Kevin said. I had to drill through mine. It's easier if you can grab the bolt on the inside so it doesn't spin when you drill:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...7&postcount=83

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 5th, 2011, 01:30 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Impact screwdriver. $30 or so at sears.
Old July 5th, 2011, 02:30 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

I had decent success with a bolt/screw extractor set I got at sears. I busted several of the grabit style - they were fine for lighter duty, but could not stand up to the doors.
Old July 5th, 2011, 02:57 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

IF the hinges are totally FUBARd, then a thin angle grinding blade and just slice through the whole hinge until you cut through the bolts.

Then replace with stainless hardware.
Old July 5th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Miller
Jon Miller
'85 ROW 110 SW

Registry
I recently replaced all of the original hinges on my '85 110. Some of the bolts were so rusted that they wouldn't budge, even with a good soak of penetrating lube. I had to drill a few of them out. I replaced the old hinges with TD5 hinges and used stainless hardware from Nakatanenga 4x4. I agree that if you can secure the nut on the other side, it makes removing them easier. Of course this next to impossible with the j-nuts. (have fun trying to retrieve those from your bulkhead if they fall in)

- Jon
Old July 5th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The lower J-nuts are the problem.... Usually seized solid. Impact screwdrivers only go so far. I agree drill the head of the screws off is the easiest.
Old July 6th, 2011, 07:36 AM
bar11
rob grentz
1994 defender 90

Thanks guys I got the project done as I was only replaceing the doors and the hinges were good i was able to access the nuts from inside the door and tapped them out with a punch leaving the part of the hinge that is attached to the bulkhead in place.. Thanks for all the help

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door