Best way to pull wire through bulkhead - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 25th, 2008, 03:10 PM
WI-ROTTIE
Pete Bethke
'95 D-90 SW #305

Best way to pull wire through bulkhead

I am in the process of adding a pair of bumper mounted Hella lights and just finished installing the OEM rear fog light switch on the steering column but could not see a clear path to the pull the wires from the switch to the relay that I plan on mounting inside the engine compartment. Is there an easy way to pull wires through the bulkhead? I can see a rubber gromet at the top of the bulkhead on the drivers side and assumed that I could get to it from the inside of the truck once I pulled the instrument cluster but I was having trouble detaching the spedometer cable. I had read a previous post from DJ and it sounds like the cable should just pull off the back but I can't get the cluster out far enough to reach behind and pull the cable. Is this the easiest way to pull the cables or am I missing something easier.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Pete
'95 SW #305
'05 LR3 HSE
'07 RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2008, 03:26 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The grommet where the speedo cable goes through is a good one, especially for wires going to/from the front end. I like the center grommet for clean installs, but this runs behind the dash tray and takes a lot of disassembly to get to.

The speedo cable has to be squeezed at the back of the speedometer to detach - I've seen more than one that was broken and reattached in a cheesy manner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 25th, 2008, 03:51 PM
WI-ROTTIE
Pete Bethke
'95 D-90 SW #305

Thanks Jim, do I have to pull the instruments to get to the spedo cable gromet or can I get to it some other way? I have only had the truck for about 8 months and have not previously pulled the dash or toe kick area so I am a bit of a novice in this area. I would like to avoid pulling the instrument cluster and spedo for fear of breaking off the cable. If I have to pull it I will. Assuming I have to pull it do you have any tips on pulling the cable off the back of the spedo? Do you just pull it strait back or is there some other trick to removing it.

Thanks again
'95 SW #305
'05 LR3 HSE
'07 RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2008, 04:16 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
No tricks - just pull the instrument binnacle face - its only a few screws. You can reduce the chance of breaking the speedo cable by feeding the cable a bit from the engine side for extra slack. Once the binnacle is out, you can see the hole in the bulkhead down by steering column to the right hand side. There aren't any alternative access means.

Old March 25th, 2008, 04:23 PM
WI-ROTTIE
Pete Bethke
'95 D-90 SW #305

thanks Jim, I will give that a try tonight.
'95 SW #305
'05 LR3 HSE
'07 RR

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions