Best Way to Change Clutch Master in a '95? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 26th, 2012, 01:06 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Best Way to Change Clutch Master in a '95?

Is it best to just remove the wing (how hard is this), or go the blood, sweat, tears (and mutilated hands) method trying to be a contortionist?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2012, 05:43 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

not sure if it is in the same position as my 90, got an 86 over from the UK, but what I did was to remove the brake box mounting bolts and shift that whole unit over a little and it gave me enough room to slide the clutch box and pedal out from between the wing and brake box.
Old June 26th, 2012, 06:41 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
I changed mine by swiping my credit card :-)

With the amount of labor I was charged I don't think they could have removed the wing...

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2012, 07:16 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Having done the job I've wondered if it would have been easier to just cut the pedal off and then replace it. It's easy to remove the pedal from the box and reassemble but then you have to put it back in...........
Old June 26th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

It is a pita but I too had loosened the brake box to get the slave out. If the fenders have never been taken off they can be a pain too.
Old June 26th, 2012, 10:39 PM
roverx
Scott Preston
1969 Ser IIA Tdi Hybrid

Remove as much of the brake fluid from the reservoir as you can. Disconnect the hard line. Remove the 6 bolts that hold the pedal box in place ( should be 3/8 / 15mm) and with care remove the pedal box. Replace the master clutch cylinder on the bench and re-install the pedal box.

I personally cut a 6" access panel into the wing with a aluminum hinge. One 10mm bolt and you can easily check the fluid and change everything without scraping a knuckle

Remember " a job is not done until you bleed on it"
2003 VW Jetta wagon 1.9 Tdi 5 speed
1995 Range Rover Classic 300 Tdi SoftDash (My Son's)

"Be the person your dog thinks you are"
Old June 27th, 2012, 12:53 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Literally just did this the other week. What roverx said is pretty spot-on, HOWEVER I did not have to disconnect any lines to the brake reservoir. I just undid the 6 bolts that hold the brake booster on, and carefully slid it over out of the way an inch or so (that's really all you need).

Then getting access to the clutch is a little easier, and you'll be able to get the clutch assembly out. Just drain the clutch reservoir, disconnect the lines, undo the 6 bolts holding the clutch assembly, and wiggle it out so you can replace the master on the bench.

It's really not hard - I was dreading it after I read things on here, but I've done many worse jobs. Just do yourself a favor and replace the slave & flex line while you're at it. And use Castrol GT LMA. And for the love of God don't cut any access panels into the wing!

Oh, and I used the Motive European Black Label Power Bleeder to fill once reassembled. Love that thing for brakes/clutch.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 27th, 2012, 09:07 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Literally just did this the other week. What roverx said is pretty spot-on, HOWEVER I did not have to disconnect any lines to the brake reservoir. I just undid the 6 bolts that hold the brake booster on, and carefully slid it over out of the way an inch or so (that's really all you need).

Then getting access to the clutch is a little easier, and you'll be able to get the clutch assembly out. Just drain the clutch reservoir, disconnect the lines, undo the 6 bolts holding the clutch assembly, and wiggle it out so you can replace the master on the bench.

It's really not hard - I was dreading it after I read things on here, but I've done many worse jobs. Just do yourself a favor and replace the slave & flex line while you're at it. And use Castrol GT LMA. And for the love of God don't cut any access panels into the wing!

Oh, and I used the Motive European Black Label Power Bleeder to fill once reassembled. Love that thing for brakes/clutch.
x2 - pretty much exactly how I was going to respond.

I might remove the wing next time I have to do it as my bulkhead was a little snotty from leaking fluid over the years. I did a quick wire brush, primer and spray paint job but will want to get it dialed next time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
95, clutch, master