Defender Source Forum banner

Best way across the US

Tags
ac
29K views 173 replies 56 participants last post by  Rugbier 
#1 ·
OK if we go through with this trip across the US what I would need to know is a good root across the US. Based on peoples locations mostly who would be willing to help if need be. Right now the time line is looking to be the 26th of December to whenever I get there :)

So if you would like to be part of the great expedition across the US sign in here! Any ideas on best path or places to avoid are also welcome.

Thanks all!

#6 ·
I'm sure the further south you go the warmer it will be. Just make sure you don't go so far south you miss Colorado!
I'm sure there are much more capable mechanics here than me, but...

Absolutely anything you need that is within power to do would be my pleasure to do.

some numbers:

#7 ·
Mike Hippert said:
So if you would like to be part of the great expedition across the US sign in here! Any ideas on best path or places to avoid are also welcome.
It all depends on how much time you have. If I was doing this and I was taking my time, I would get across the flat part and head for the Rockies as quickly as possible. Then, I'd slow down and take I-70 through Colorado, taking time to stop at Vail or maybe a side trip down to Aspen. Then I'd head west until I got to Rifle, where I'd head northwest through Rangely, CO and Dinosaur, CO. From here, I'd go through Vernal, UT and Duchesne, UT (pronounced Du-shayne, I think...). I'd pitch camp around the Strawberry Reservoir area. The next morning, I'd make the quick run up to Heber City and Park City, where I'd have lunch and then kick back with a good beer at O'Shucks. From Park City, I'd hop on I-80 and head west once again, possibly camping around Salt Lake or perhaps out in the Great Salt Lake Desert that covers the northwest portion of Utah. The next day, I'd make the push across Nevada, heading for Reno. I'd either set up a snow camp around Lake Tahoe or get a hotel in Reno. The next morning is an exciting run over the Sierras and down into the Central Valley and finally into the SFBA.

It's a shame that my truck is in Texas and not Maine. I'd do this trip without a doubt.

#11 ·
The southern route will definately be warmer, and between Flagstaff AZ and Californa the scenery is nice. I-15 between Las Vegas and LA is a 200 mile long parking lot on Sunday afternoons so it is good that you are missing that section.

I-80 across Iowa and Nebraksa is pretty brutal, flat, cold, and windy. With no doors it would be bad. Looks like your mapquest route is the way to go especially with your stop in NM.

#12 ·
'Nother option, once you figure out how to navigate the Boston/WashingtonDC mess is to go a bit furthur south (I81 to I40) and go through Knoxville, Memphis, Little Rock and then up to Oklahoma City and on to Albuquerque). This is sorta the route we took last year backwards. Puts you a bit furthur south which may be a wee bit warmer. Also depends on how allergic to tolls you are. I avoid them like the plague if there is an option (which means take 80 or 78 instead of 90/Mass Pike). And avoid the Pa Pike - its a tollway also :(

#13 ·
The scenery is nice along I-70 and the Rockies in Colorado, but you're talking about high mountain passes (11,000'+ at Eisenhower tunnel) in the winter. If there is no storm coming, then all you have to deal with is the alititude, if it snows, though, the chain law will be in effect and things can get a little slow, and cold. Along that route you pass through Utah, but all the great stuff is off I-70. I-15 south through St. George and Lost Wages is nice too. Depending on the condition of the truck, and the weather, however, you might consider drifting southward toward I-70 through Indianapolis then at St. Louis take I-44 and wander down to I-40. Now going through Flagstaff can be a bit snowy (7,000'), but there are things to see and enough towns to provide respites if the weather turns on you. You won't have the high passes to contend with and it should be pretty smooth sailing.

#17 ·
Mike,

I will be driving from Los Angeles to D.C. in my D-90 starting around December 28th or 29th. I will be taking the Colorado route though (I-70). If you happen to go that way let me know and I will snap a few "proof of life" photos of you and the parts caravan as you speed by...:)

Michael

#18 ·
I'm happy to help you navigate the Baltimore/DC mess plus there's always Trevor's shop outside Baltimore.

#20 ·
If you come in VA I'm in Charlottesville in the evenings, but Harrisonburg during the day, I can take you to lunch one your way through on 81 ('bout halfway between Northern Va and Roanoke) and point you in the right direction. We have a parking lot at work if you need to do some minor stuff, and I've got a computer you can upload pics/video of the trek to the board from.
Of course, none of this is really on your route.

#21 ·
I'm in Arlington, VA -- having driven from Manchester, NH to Arlington about 8 times in the last 6 months, I can tell you it's a reasonable full day's drive. You're welcome to stay in the guest room and I have full regular and air tools, welding equipment and enough spares to get you on the next leg of the journey. Plus it sets you up nicely for the southern route.

Tony

#23 · (Edited)
Your driving directions go right through buffalo (where I will be on the 26th) and will give you a place to sleep on Day 1. If you want a co driver I am game.

I can tell you now that you should take your D90 doors and put them on the truck and then take them back as baggage (or alternatively sell them to JimC as you don't seem to use them) as the trip even to buffalo will be COLD without doors in late december.

Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.