Best way across the US - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 23rd, 2005, 02:24 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Best way across the US

OK if we go through with this trip across the US what I would need to know is a good root across the US. Based on peoples locations mostly who would be willing to help if need be. Right now the time line is looking to be the 26th of December to whenever I get there

So if you would like to be part of the great expedition across the US sign in here! Any ideas on best path or places to avoid are also welcome.

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2005, 02:38 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

You're more than welcome to crash here Mike. But if your cross country trip brings you through Tampa, you've got bigger problems than where to stay! lol
Old November 23rd, 2005, 02:39 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
I-80 will get you from NYC/NJ to Northern CA area. Don't know which part of CA Jim is from but it least it'll get you to the same state as him. If you run into any issues in the NY/NJ area give me a holler. I can donate my AAA tow miles to you and help out any way I can. Damn, this is gonna be epic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2005, 03:21 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Some mapquest info going from me to Rob D then from Rob D to Jim C.

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/m...252fupUgLwLtEf

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/m...vale&2s=ca&2z=
Old November 23rd, 2005, 03:41 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
You're welcome to crash here Mike if you need to. Champaign is on I-74, which is just a tad north of the I-70 route advised by Mapquest, but I-57 connects you back onto I-70. Let me know.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 03:42 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

I'm sure the further south you go the warmer it will be. Just make sure you don't go so far south you miss Colorado!
I'm sure there are much more capable mechanics here than me, but...

Absolutely anything you need that is within power to do would be my pleasure to do.

some numbers:
Old November 23rd, 2005, 03:53 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert

So if you would like to be part of the great expedition across the US sign in here! Any ideas on best path or places to avoid are also welcome.
It all depends on how much time you have. If I was doing this and I was taking my time, I would get across the flat part and head for the Rockies as quickly as possible. Then, I'd slow down and take I-70 through Colorado, taking time to stop at Vail or maybe a side trip down to Aspen. Then I'd head west until I got to Rifle, where I'd head northwest through Rangely, CO and Dinosaur, CO. From here, I'd go through Vernal, UT and Duchesne, UT (pronounced Du-shayne, I think...). I'd pitch camp around the Strawberry Reservoir area. The next morning, I'd make the quick run up to Heber City and Park City, where I'd have lunch and then kick back with a good beer at O'Shucks. From Park City, I'd hop on I-80 and head west once again, possibly camping around Salt Lake or perhaps out in the Great Salt Lake Desert that covers the northwest portion of Utah. The next day, I'd make the push across Nevada, heading for Reno. I'd either set up a snow camp around Lake Tahoe or get a hotel in Reno. The next morning is an exciting run over the Sierras and down into the Central Valley and finally into the SFBA.

It's a shame that my truck is in Texas and not Maine. I'd do this trip without a doubt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
/
Old November 23rd, 2005, 04:05 PM
devinchi
Tim Brown
'95 D90 ST '99D2

Not that you are likely to come this far north, but I have a reasonably equipped garage here.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 04:09 PM
BillyT
Billy Tesauro

Make sure that your route takes you through the bypass RT 128 from I-70 into Moab, Utah. It is one of the coolest roads in the country.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 04:38 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

Hey Mike if you make it down the I93 to methuen in Mass i'm sure i can help you out

Old November 23rd, 2005, 06:17 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
The southern route will definately be warmer, and between Flagstaff AZ and Californa the scenery is nice. I-15 between Las Vegas and LA is a 200 mile long parking lot on Sunday afternoons so it is good that you are missing that section.

I-80 across Iowa and Nebraksa is pretty brutal, flat, cold, and windy. With no doors it would be bad. Looks like your mapquest route is the way to go especially with your stop in NM.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 06:52 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

'Nother option, once you figure out how to navigate the Boston/WashingtonDC mess is to go a bit furthur south (I81 to I40) and go through Knoxville, Memphis, Little Rock and then up to Oklahoma City and on to Albuquerque). This is sorta the route we took last year backwards. Puts you a bit furthur south which may be a wee bit warmer. Also depends on how allergic to tolls you are. I avoid them like the plague if there is an option (which means take 80 or 78 instead of 90/Mass Pike). And avoid the Pa Pike - its a tollway also
Old November 23rd, 2005, 07:25 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
The scenery is nice along I-70 and the Rockies in Colorado, but you're talking about high mountain passes (11,000'+ at Eisenhower tunnel) in the winter. If there is no storm coming, then all you have to deal with is the alititude, if it snows, though, the chain law will be in effect and things can get a little slow, and cold. Along that route you pass through Utah, but all the great stuff is off I-70. I-15 south through St. George and Lost Wages is nice too. Depending on the condition of the truck, and the weather, however, you might consider drifting southward toward I-70 through Indianapolis then at St. Louis take I-44 and wander down to I-40. Now going through Flagstaff can be a bit snowy (7,000'), but there are things to see and enough towns to provide respites if the weather turns on you. You won't have the high passes to contend with and it should be pretty smooth sailing.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 08:27 PM
Troys
Troy Smith
1995 D90 SW

Hippert

If you choose the I81, I40 Route, you are welcome here in the Star City.

Roanoke, VA

Troy
Old November 23rd, 2005, 10:08 PM
jabber
m j

If you end up coming near Boulder.... Y'all have a place to crash, food and beers!
Old November 23rd, 2005, 10:12 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Mike,
If your heading through Kansas City, youve got a place to stay and use of the tools ive got.
Old November 24th, 2005, 01:57 AM
Seriesman
Michael Elliott
1997 D-90 Hardtop (#2369)

Mike,

I will be driving from Los Angeles to D.C. in my D-90 starting around December 28th or 29th. I will be taking the Colorado route though (I-70). If you happen to go that way let me know and I will snap a few "proof of life" photos of you and the parts caravan as you speed by...

Michael
Old November 24th, 2005, 07:18 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

I'm happy to help you navigate the Baltimore/DC mess plus there's always Trevor's shop outside Baltimore.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old November 24th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

AIRPLANE! LOL!
If you need we behere in Chitown. But go south its fu**en cold here! My 110 with the doors on is see your breath. Yours will be swallow your man berrys!
Old November 24th, 2005, 06:29 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

If you come in VA I'm in Charlottesville in the evenings, but Harrisonburg during the day, I can take you to lunch one your way through on 81 ('bout halfway between Northern Va and Roanoke) and point you in the right direction. We have a parking lot at work if you need to do some minor stuff, and I've got a computer you can upload pics/video of the trek to the board from.
Of course, none of this is really on your route.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac