Best way across the US - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 22nd, 2005, 10:36 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

I CAN'T STAND IT ANY LONGER!!!!

Is there a plan or itenerary yet? The anticipation is worse than a little kid at Christmas time.

(bitches and ho s can't always be lined up on a moments notice)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 22nd, 2005, 10:42 AM
Monkeyboy

Hey, I forgot to speak up - as though it makes any difference -

We're home next week - not as planned, Moab, grrr - and so available for pit stop, whatever in Des Moines if needed.

KAA
515-669-9366 mobile
Old December 22nd, 2005, 11:51 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hey guys, I was waiting to post until tonight. I have to drive up to Maine and make sure I can make the 110 driveable! BWO, and ECR are both way to busy to get anything done on it, so now only a few days before I leave I need to make sure it is safe for the road.

But right now my road plan is basicly head west on I90 Cleaveland and pick up 71. Take 71 to Columbus and pick up 70. Take 70 to St. Louis and pick up 44. Take 44 to Oklahoma City and pick up 40. THen the long haul on 40 to Albuquerque. Then Albuquerque to Moab (as long as we can make it before new years) Rob Dessler has a plan on which rout to take and I forgot to write it down .

Then From Moab to San Jose CA, this rout I am not sure what the best way to go is? There are a bunch of non major highways that will be very direct, but we are driving a 22 year old Rover? Then there is 70 on the North route and 40 on the South route that are both major highways?\

So if anyone has any input on the planned route? Orif ya would like to PM me your phone # in case we run into problems and you live close to the planned route

Thanks All!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 22nd, 2005, 12:36 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Mike - you might want to go to Moab first, then drop back south and east to Albeq, then take 40 across to CA and then up. That increases the chances that you'll get to Moab while people are still there, and puts some more of the driving down South.
Old December 22nd, 2005, 03:28 PM
Dfndr90
Matt Wunderle
1995 Defender 90

Mike,

I live in Columbus, Ohio and you are more than welcome to call if you need anything. I know some great rover mechanics also.

Matt...

www.greenovalguild.com
Old December 22nd, 2005, 03:37 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
I was a little bored at work today so put this together... This will be a cool T-shirt if someone can print it. Maybe in the back is all the cities that you stop in and the corresponding dates... kinda like a concert t-shirt. LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	map.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	4652  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 22nd, 2005, 07:08 PM
devinchi
Tim Brown
'95 D90 ST '99D2

Cool shirt, but you need to start the line in Maine not in NH.
Old December 22nd, 2005, 07:38 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

My heart jumped when I saw a new post in this thread!
Not anywhere near the route, but uhhh, if I can help you can email or something...Oh, if you make shirts I'm in.
Old December 23rd, 2005, 10:48 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well some bad news guys, here is what I have been sending everyone.

Well last night I went up to Maine to check everything out and to try and get it running and take her for a test drive. The good news, the breaks seemed to work and I tightened the panhard bolts as I could have taken them out by hand they were so loose. The bad news, it overheats, the radiator is blowing steam out of the core, the oil pressure is low (oil light is coming on at idle) and I think the fuel pump is dieing (it is clicking rather loudly). So I thought about it some last night, at a minimum it would need a new radiator, a new fuel pump and have the oil changed with something a little thicker to see if the pressure comes up. I donít think that will fix the overheating as the top hose on the radiator was VERY hot and the lower hose was only warm and the heaters (both of them) blew hot air for a few seconds then only blew cold air after that so I am a little puzzled about the overheating. Oh and to top it all off the power steering isnít working, it is very hard to steer and the pump squeals when you turn the wheel.

It does idle fine once it warms up but until then you need to have the coke out and the idle is high, this might be normal I have never driven a carbureted engine. The exhaust smells a little funny (like burntish metal but maybe thatís normal for a carb with gas thatís months old?) The lights and the radio/CD player work! It even had an air freshener in the chubby box so I hung it on the mirror. Oh and it has ĺ of a tank of gas, so I could at least make it home if I drove it lol.

what does everyone think? At the least I won't be able to leave anytime next week.
Old December 23rd, 2005, 11:02 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Mike,
Bummer! I have a V8 Defender radiator sitting here from a 300tdi conversion that I'm sure the customer would sell cheap (it's not mine or i'd donate it to the project). I'd pull the t-stat and have a look at it. The fuel pumps on those trucks could be fairly loud...should be a big ole Carter pump located on the pass side frame rail. The oil is probably full of gas from running rich. I have a t-stat & gasket if it's necessary. Let me know if there's anything I can do.
Old December 23rd, 2005, 12:04 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
Well some bad news guys, here is what I have been sending everyone.

Well last night I went up to Maine to check everything out and to try and get it running and take her for a test drive. The good news, the breaks seemed to work and I tightened the panhard bolts as I could have taken them out by hand they were so loose. The bad news, it overheats, the radiator is blowing steam out of the core, the oil pressure is low (oil light is coming on at idle) and I think the fuel pump is dieing (it is clicking rather loudly). So I thought about it some last night, at a minimum it would need a new radiator, a new fuel pump and have the oil changed with something a little thicker to see if the pressure comes up. I donít think that will fix the overheating as the top hose on the radiator was VERY hot and the lower hose was only warm and the heaters (both of them) blew hot air for a few seconds then only blew cold air after that so I am a little puzzled about the overheating. Oh and to top it all off the power steering isnít working, it is very hard to steer and the pump squeals when you turn the wheel.

It does idle fine once it warms up but until then you need to have the coke out and the idle is high, this might be normal I have never driven a carbureted engine. The exhaust smells a little funny (like burntish metal but maybe thatís normal for a carb with gas thatís months old?) The lights and the radio/CD player work! It even had an air freshener in the chubby box so I hung it on the mirror. Oh and it has ĺ of a tank of gas, so I could at least make it home if I drove it lol.

what does everyone think? At the least I won't be able to leave anytime next week.
I thought they all came like that?

No really, bummer, but you could think of it this way - At least you know what's wrong with it. I'm not driving it, so I can't really tell you what I think. However, since it's in my personality to do so anyway (as well as the personality of most people on this board I would say...), if you get going and can't make it you can always take someone up on their offer to AAA tow you to somewhere convenient, hop on a flight from there, and save Jim some shipping costs by getting it closer than it was...
Old December 23rd, 2005, 12:33 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hmm, the expansion tank was pretty full before I started it last night soI would think it had enough coolant, but only wat to tell is to pop the top off the radiator and i wasn't going to do that last night when steam was comming out of it .

I'll let Jim chime in on the radiator, I am not sure what the plan is now. But I was thinking changing the oil could fix the low presure. Hearing that it is kinda normal that the fuel pumps are noisy makes it also not as bad. But if we get the over heating, radiator and low oil pressure fixed things might be a go for later on next month as long as I can get the time off from work.
Old December 23rd, 2005, 01:24 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Ship the damn thing!

Mike, you're not too far from me but far enough that I can't slap you silly and wake you up from this dream/nightmare.

What the heck, I can drive up there today and do it. Slap you silly, that is.
Old December 23rd, 2005, 04:07 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
Ship the damn thing!

Mike, you're not too far from me but far enough that I can't slap you silly and wake you up from this dream/nightmare.

What the heck, I can drive up there today and do it. Slap you silly, that is.

LOL, your not the only one! Just about everyone I know has said the same thing! They are all against it knowing the history of my 90. But I like a good chalange!
Old December 24th, 2005, 03:27 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
As long as I don't have to pay $$$ for a rlad that comes in a pretty green and white box then I'll be OK. I know Ron has a good rad since I sold it to him...

And this has gone past the point of trying to save a buck - now this is a mission!
Old December 24th, 2005, 10:16 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Yes if you can get it to buffalo, I pretty much have a whole 110 sitting here to scrounge parts from.

Ron
Old December 27th, 2005, 11:18 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Mike leaves to go to Buffalo tomorrow morning. Then we both leave from here on the 29th with the goal to make it to Moab as quick as possible. 29 hours strait through maybe! We will see how the old girl holds up.

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/m...Moab&2s=UT&2z=

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/m...viso&2s=ca&2z=

Here are the routes (above).

If you are in Des Moines Omaha Las Vegas etc. shoot me an email at evilfij at yahoo dot com
Old December 28th, 2005, 12:07 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Ron I am not sure where to check but I thought someone told me either part of 80 or 70 is closed due to snow? Jimmy I think you had told me this?

Rob, due to running behind, and we are planning on taking about half a trucks worth of parts with us we won't be stopping at cityside garage to pick up the extra trannies and t-cases, sorry.
Old December 28th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Monkeyboy

Hey guys,

80 was closed in Nebraska closer to Thanksgiving, but looks ok now ...

http://www.intellicast.com/IcastPage...v=none&loc=I80

KAA
Old December 28th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

WHEEEEEE DOGGIES! GIT 'ER DUN BOYS!

Weather in CO looks typical for this time of year, pleasant on the plains and a little snow in the hills.
www.cotrip.org -pretty good weather and up to date road conditions if you are interested.

Just a thought.... You guys could post up a cell phone number so your D-90 Source brethren could keep track of you as you make your journey. A little spontaneous encouragement as you cross the fruited plain. Callers could then post up for the rest of us on your progress, state of mind, etc.

Best of luck,

Rod

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac