Best way across the US - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 27th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

I'm in Arlington, VA -- having driven from Manchester, NH to Arlington about 8 times in the last 6 months, I can tell you it's a reasonable full day's drive. You're welcome to stay in the guest room and I have full regular and air tools, welding equipment and enough spares to get you on the next leg of the journey. Plus it sets you up nicely for the southern route.

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2005, 09:58 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Th BEST way across the US has to be this: www.transamtrail.com - but not neccesarily the fastest

4800 miles and 90% dirt - Sam says that most of it is passable to an expedition equipped 4WD
Old November 27th, 2005, 11:42 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Your driving directions go right through buffalo (where I will be on the 26th) and will give you a place to sleep on Day 1. If you want a co driver I am game.

I can tell you now that you should take your D90 doors and put them on the truck and then take them back as baggage (or alternatively sell them to JimC as you don't seem to use them) as the trip even to buffalo will be COLD without doors in late december.

Ron
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2005, 11:55 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Also, if you need be, I'll FedEx any excess stuff you have with you back home so its not a hassle to take on the plane.
Old November 28th, 2005, 12:28 AM
evilfij
evilfij

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/m...iso+&2s=ca&2z=

I think we should go this way.

Mike drives to me on the first day, and then we go this way. Unless we need to go to New Mexico?

This is doable in three days with two drivers.

Ear plugs and gloves!

Then shorts and sandals!
Old November 28th, 2005, 12:34 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
That route doesnt support wheeling in Moab which I think Mike has in mind. I've got to call Rob D to see if he wants to load up cores or if he got a better deal from Forward Air.
Old November 28th, 2005, 12:40 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Ok.

I have not been keeping up, moab seems fun. I have to be back Jan 10-12 or something so I have plenty of time!

It is only an extra 2 hours to detour through NM anyway.

Ron
Old November 28th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

If the fellas are hauling cores, but don't want to dip south on their way to Moab, I could meet them as they zip through town and take the cores off their hands. Then I could arrange to meet Rob at the border or something.

Is Mike going to hook up with the Colorado guys that are going to be in Moab over the new year?

Good Karma abounds.
Old November 28th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I talked to Yousef, he and a buch of other d-90 members will be in Moab from the 28th to the 1st, it would be cool to stop there for a day or so to check out the action and say hi to everyone.
Old November 28th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Sergeant_V
Abel Villesca
1995 D-90 ST

If you go through Denver I've got the $200.00 gift certificate for serice at Land Rover Denver East that we won this year at the National Rally. It expires on 29 December. I'll happily donate it for whatever repairs the truck needs at that point on the Odyssey. If you make it through Albuquerque you are welcome to stay at my place.

Abe
Old November 28th, 2005, 03:53 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
Absolutely on Colorado! I am south of denver, but if there is anything I can do let me know.
Old November 28th, 2005, 10:46 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

I actually intend to take this comming August and September to do a trip around America... Be sure to let me know how your trip goes, Mike. I`ll definately have to reference this post before I head out.
Old November 29th, 2005, 04:04 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

I did the northern route a few years ago - you get the most national monuments per mile that way Taking 90 to 94 then up through Wisconsin & Minnesota, then through S. Dakota, Montana, head south through Wyoming to Denver (backtrack just a tad on the 25) and then west over the rockies. You could also take 80 west through Salt Lake City, too. Or, you can continue west on 94 through Montana and pick up the 90, hit Yellowstone in the winter (very beautiful geisers in cold weather) and take the 15 down past Lake Tahoe. Both those routes are the best scenery per mile.
Of course, if you want to stay warmer and travel quicker, by all means, go south! But for me, half the fun is getting there.
Now I'm in the mood for a road trip.
Old November 29th, 2005, 06:35 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I will be back in Colorado on the 30th if you need anything (heated shop? tools? food? shelter?)

Located in Fort Collins Colorado

http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=Fort+Collins,+CO
Old November 29th, 2005, 10:51 PM
jblieb
john

I am in NE Arkansas an hour from Memphis if you take a southern route. i'll put you and will give you full access to a STOCKED garage. plus my mechanic will take care of anything you need. you guys need to make t-shirts for this trip.

Freezing, torquing and hauling nuts across the country.
Old November 29th, 2005, 11:17 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

I'll be in Moab from the 28th-2nd Start early and join us!!!! Just think the kids will be there. I still hear about Mike and how fun he is!!!
I think you're set on the Colorado front range anywhere you chose to breakdown...Err.. ahh.. take a rest..

Keith

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old November 30th, 2005, 12:13 AM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

The northern route is pretty cool, but not so good for a winter trip. Even for you, Mike. Although you'll get a ton of laughs from the truckers when you drive by with no top, no hood, and shorts going through Souix Falls.

I agree with the guys that you need to bomb across the flat states as quickly as possible. Nothing to see there.

I followed the Lewis and Clark route as much as I could a few years ago. Damn, that sure gave me a lot of appreciation for those men and those days. Portaging over the Great Falls ID!!! Thank goodness for the D90 these days. You might want to go to the St Louis Arch. I thought it was pretty cool with a good display at the base.

Bomb across Neb, Kans, and eastern CO where the highest terrain are the grain silos. Just about everywhere in western CO, UT and Cal/Nev Sierras are awesome. Eastern NV is nice, but in a different way. Some good BLM land to go offroading on.

And of course, if you decide to come to the Nation's Capitol, I'm sure Zach would be honored to have you curl up on his old bed....
Old November 30th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Monkeyboy

Lovely Sioux Falls .... supposed to get 6" of snow this afternoon Known by residents as "the sewer" you know, eh?

KAA
West Des Moines, IA
Old November 30th, 2005, 01:26 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblieb
Freezing, torquing and hauling nuts across the country.
That's hilarious!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
/
Old November 30th, 2005, 01:43 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

My friend drove his CJ5 soft top through one complete Wisconsin winter 30 minutes freeweay each way to work. Of course he looked like Kenny out of South Park, but survived
I'd go the northern route - snow? Heck, it's a 4WD! Now, the time I drove a Lotus Esprit across country in the winter, that was a different story (funny though, it did handle OK in the snow).
This trip will be hillarious. You def need to make a trip website. If you pass through the Chicago area I'll be in town visitting family for Christmas - I would enjoy meeting you guys.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac