Best steering shock absorber for a Defender? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 3rd, 2011, 08:30 PM
Santiago Gigola
Best steering shock absorber for a Defender?

I have recently installed four brand new Koni Raid shocks in my 2.8 TGV Defender 110. I tried them today at speed in a rough dirt road we near Mendoza (Argentina) and they are SUPERB. The Defender is another vehicle!

Thing is my steering shock absorber is a cheap Britpart one and I would like to see some serious improvement in this respect. What do you recommend as a top quality shock absorber for a D110?
Does Koni make steering dampers for Defenders?
The only one I have heard good comments about is the OME one. I willl be happy to buy an OME but I just want to check if there are any other options?
Is the Old Man Emu really good? Anything even better?
I ride 265/75/16 MT BFG by the way.

Thanks for your opinions.

Old April 4th, 2011, 07:23 AM
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88
Very happy with OME as a steering stabilizer, but remember that any shock has a limit of durability if used in extreme conditions.

Old April 4th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi
Any one had tried the Old Man Emu? I'm about to change mine (don't even know what it is!?) and most available one is the Old Man Emu. They're not that expensive (at least cheaper then Original Rover Parts from the Land-Rover dealer..) and Rover's North carry them.. I already have a good experience with the OME suspension shocks but never heard of them steering dampers.
Younger, we pointed the lad I now became.
Old April 14th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Severin Blenkush
97 D90 LE, 10 Lotus Exige S, 05 LR3
OME steering stabilizer

I installed an OME steering stabilizer years ago and am very impressed with it. If I recall correctly, it was larger than stock - whether or not that made the difference I don't know, but I was running stock wheels/tires with 1" lift and stiffer springs. Didn't get near the shimmy in the steering wheel when hitting bumps/pot holes/trail debris, etc. Price is reasonable to boot. I don't think you can go wrong.

Old April 14th, 2011, 11:15 PM
barry f
94 ST #395
Where is the cheapest place to get one?
Originally Posted by DefenderPilot View Post
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions