best replacement headlight e code? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 11th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC
best replacement headlight e code?

I have done the searches, but I have to ask. I have DOT Hella H4 headlights, both cracked, both mud filled. I am going to replace them. I have seen e code (european code) headlights and they make more sense to me, so that is what I am looking for. Two questions--do the Hella E-Code headlights have the same mud filling problem and/or is their a better replacement? I have heard of the NAPA Tufflights or something like that, and they seemed really thin (plastic lenses). I am after something really effective (as bright as possible while still being considerate of oncomming traffic), not a stickler for DOT rated, ect. Also a cheap bastard that will get the best bang for the buck, but if the best makes sense even spending more, I will. But not HID more. No money bags here.

Old September 12th, 2006, 06:51 AM
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles
Chris, did you have the rubber cap on the end of your Hellas where the wiring harness meets the spades? I would have started by sealing that cap up to stop the mud ingress. I run the e codes with a 110/80 hella bulb set from (d-90 source gets 10% off there BTW). Upgraded the wiring harness as well. I sealed the cap and have no issues.

I recall a while back that their was a light set with a gore tex breather. Can't recall what they were though or who sold them.

Old September 12th, 2006, 08:15 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow
i just got sealed beams from auto zone $14 each
3rd low and BOOT IT
Old September 12th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Joseph Reseland
I really like the Silver Star sealed beams. About $20.00ea at AZ.

Old September 12th, 2006, 09:34 AM
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
Try here:

Hella Vision Plus, glass lens in ecode or DOT and whatever bulbs you want.
Old September 12th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel
I use Cibie E-codes with the Phillips Vision bulbs - I've never had a problem with water getting in them. One of the Mazda Miata places sells the Cibie lights (I'm a luddite when it comes to lights - I like Cibie and Marchal - old brands from the sixties).
Old September 12th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Alpine White 95 Soft Top
Is this what you are talking about? I was looking at these and was wondering what other people thought of them.
Old September 12th, 2006, 02:29 PM
I have never seen a rover in person
another vote for silver star. Legal and bright.
*not legal advice*
Old September 12th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Mike Hippert
94 D-90 Grinding Rover
The E-codes fill up the same as the others if they sit under water, but mine are still pretty bright even after being dunked a few times. I pulled them off once and hosed them out after the worst mud, they seem to be holding up pretty well after 2.5 years.
Don't forget to Search first then ask questions later! The loose nut behind the wheel
Old September 12th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Re-Fendered 90
I am torn if I should really expose the depth my C.B. ways, but hey, why not. I did this three years ago and it is still working extremely well. You can take out your stock lenses and wash them as best you can. Then you can pick up motorcycle bulbs at any Napa. $4. They are 80watt low 110watt high. Very bright, easily as bright as any aftermarket headlight. You have to trim some rubber on the female portion of the light, but very little. Then you take Duct tape (thats right baby) and tape over the rubber portion behind the light which is where all the water comes in. Dry as a bone and still bright for $8.
2009 King of the Hammers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old September 13th, 2006, 05:21 PM
94 ST
Land Rover Defender Halo Angel Eye Xenon Lights

Any issues using these???

I heard some of these aftermarket HID lights can be bad on the electrical? Anyone have any knowledge of this?

"It insists upon itself" Family Guy
"Your Defender insists upon itself" Dave Parker

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

ac, ht