Best Replacement Headlamp Bulbs? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 9th, 2010, 03:25 AM
dsh12
Daniel Hayes
1994 Defender 90 Soft Top

Best Replacement Headlamp Bulbs?

I'm looking for the best street legal headlight replacement bulbs. Best for me would be the greatest lumens, brightest light and best beam pattern, ruling out costly HID. I'm willing to forgo longevity for the above.
I would point you to the following link: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=231144 . Note especially Scheinwerfermann's post.
I'm considering the Philips X-treme Power or the Hellas. Can anyone confirm these numbers for the Hellas: http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=267 .

There are no guarantees expressed or implied of the accuracy or correctness of the contents of this message, and the Author is not liable for the taking of any action in reliance upon the contents of this message. As always, do your own research. To the extent that opinions are expressed in this message, they are not necessarily the opinions of the Author.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Dredd
Harlan Boone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh12 View Post
There are no guarantees expressed or implied of the accuracy or correctness of the contents of this message, and the Author is not liable for the taking of any action in reliance upon the contents of this message. As always, do your own research. To the extent that opinions are expressed in this message, they are not necessarily the opinions of the Author.
I might know the answer, but am afraid to post since I don't have a disclamer.
Good luck doing your own research.
HB
Old November 9th, 2010, 04:32 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

on my TJ I had great luck with H4 conversion housings which i assume you have by that link you posted (Hella knock offs) and sylvania silverstar bulbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2010, 04:33 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I have tried a bunch of "performance" bulbs and they all don't seem to last for me. I think it is because of the crap wiring to the headlights in a D90. I went back to cheapo sylvania halogen sealed beams.
Old November 9th, 2010, 04:48 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

I've had the same set of 55/60W Sylvania bulbs in the Disco for years, and they're pretty darned good.

Prior to those, I had some wacky IPF bulbs in there (that my brother gave me). They worked fine but didn't last more than a couple of years.

I just wired up some Hellas and their 55/60s with some fat wire and relays in the 90 over the weekend. Wow! Why didn't I do this years ago?!

As a crazy kid I ran some 100/130 Cibie bulbs in Marchal lamps that were insanely bright, but except on hi-beam really didn't illuminate any more area that the 55/60W bulbs.

I'm old....I drive slow....the 55/60s will work just fine thanks.
Old November 9th, 2010, 04:56 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Hella Euro H4's and 55/60W Sylvania bulbs in mine ... added benefit of being pretty cheap too
Old November 9th, 2010, 05:52 PM
dsh12
Daniel Hayes
1994 Defender 90 Soft Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
I might know the answer, but am afraid to post since I don't have a disclamer.
Good luck doing your own research.
HB
Smart man!

Old November 9th, 2010, 11:32 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfrozenCaveman View Post
I've had the same set of 55/60W Sylvania bulbs in the Disco for years, and they're pretty darned good.

Prior to those, I had some wacky IPF bulbs in there (that my brother gave me). They worked fine but didn't last more than a couple of years.

I just wired up some Hellas and their 55/60s with some fat wire and relays in the 90 over the weekend. Wow! Why didn't I do this years ago?!

As a crazy kid I ran some 100/130 Cibie bulbs in Marchal lamps that were insanely bright, but except on hi-beam really didn't illuminate any more area that the 55/60W bulbs.

I'm old....I drive slow....the 55/60s will work just fine thanks.
Maybe I'll do something similar. Naive question but, did you basically clip the wires coming into the harness, and instead use those as the switched power for a relay?
Old November 10th, 2010, 03:31 AM
Backstay
John Hilton
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

PIAA makes a number of higher output 55/60 Watt bulbs. They are able to increase the output by using a proprietary gas mixture. No need for harness change as they have the same power draw as stock. Any higher output Philips/Hella/Sylvania/Osram etc. bulbs I've ever seen have been just that - higher wattage bulbs. PIAA's Xtreme white gives a good contrasting light and are available in an anti-vibration model. The Europeans have figured out the lamps - Hella, Bosch or Cibie. I've never seen any knockoff lamp that comes anywhere close to the pattern put out by the Europeans. I'd also be wary of Japanese lamps like IPF as the pattern may be designed for rhd vehicles.

http://piaalights.com/detailsBulbs.p...BRATION%20BULB
Old November 10th, 2010, 08:21 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
Maybe I'll do something similar. Naive question but, did you basically clip the wires coming into the harness, and instead use those as the switched power for a relay?
I just did the Hella E-Code w/ Hella 55/60W bulbs in my D90 and like the difference. Also upgraded the wiring with a homemade harness consisting of some connectors from Eastern Beaver and a Hella Relay Block from EE. I ran separate 12ga homeruns back to the battery for the relays. Really simple and no cutting into the factory wiring in case I want to go back to it.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/El...onnectors.html
Old November 10th, 2010, 08:24 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
I just did the Hella E-Code w/ Hella 55/60W bulbs in my D90 and like the difference. Also upgraded the wiring with a homemade harness consisting of some connectors from Eastern Beaver and a Hella Relay Block from EE. I ran separate 12ga homeruns back to the battery for the relays. Really simple and no cutting into the factory wiring in case I want to go back to it.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/El...onnectors.html

cool that looks easy, 1 relay per headlamp I assume.
Old November 10th, 2010, 08:35 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
cool that looks easy, 1 relay per headlamp I assume.
Yeah, I actually am using a 4 relay block with two relays dedicated to the headlights, one is going to the auxiliary lights (future) and I plan to also put the taillight circuit through a relay so when I begin towing a trailer I will have plenty of power in that circuit.

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/ca...roductid=19186

I can show you what I did at next week's HH if you want.
Old November 10th, 2010, 09:08 AM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Quote:
Hey Danny, there's no need to cut anything off....just in case you want to return it to stock sometime down the road.

Use one of the existing headlight connectors to get the hi and lo trigger sources for the relays you'll install.

Make sure you've got an appropriately sized relay for the maximum wattage bulbs you plan on using.

Run a fused 10 gauge power supply to the relays (one for hi and one for lo), then you can run 12 gauge to the lamps from the relays.

Tape off and hide / tie down the unused o.e. headlamp connector and all you have to do is unplug wires and remove the relays if you want to return to stock.

...ed...hah! Just noticed the GTi reference...I've got an HID bulb failing on my '08 GTi this week too!
Old November 10th, 2010, 10:07 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

If you don't already have it, ALL Defenders should be fitted with the ARB or Painless Wiring headlight wiring harness. Not only will it prevent your headlight switch from failing, but it will increase the light output from your headlights.
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/arb/

I think the Painless Wiring kit is better quality.

As for bulbs, just get the Hella H83140091. If you get too hot of a bulb, the lens can't cool because there is not enough surface area on the Defender headlights and you'll crack them. Also, there is nothing worse than an asshole passing you in the other lane with headlights brighter than the sun. Don't be that asshole.

And don't be that asshole thug with the blue tinted headlights.
Old November 10th, 2010, 04:01 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I have tried a bunch of "performance" bulbs and they all don't seem to last for me. I think it is because of the crap wiring to the headlights in a D90. I went back to cheapo sylvania halogen sealed beams.

Hella H4 Lens with a Piaa H4 bulb has worked fine for me.

Dirt Cheap Hella's: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HELLA...Q5fAccessories

Dirt Cheap Bulbs: http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-70456-Xtr.../dp/B000TK3U4O

I have been running this combination and have had no "asshole" comments from people who I have followed. But I do have the ability to adjust the beam from inside the car when I want to go to asshole mode...

MY DISCLAIMER: I did crack a lens but it was my own fault (driving underwater after lights where on for 5 hours...)
Old November 12th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I just got the ARB headlight harness upgrade. Can someone explain the replacement process (from stock to this) in simple terms to an electrical novice? The diagram does not show how to wire it into the dash lever. Do I remove the old harness completely?
Old November 12th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

It's really easy. The new harness just plugs into one of the factory headlight connections (where they connect to the actual headlamps). You can use either one. then you just mount the relay block somewhere and hook it up the + and - to the battery, and the new connections to the headlamps. You do not need to mess with the switch or anything or do any other wiring. There are a few unused wires with the ARB kit.
Old November 12th, 2010, 12:57 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

For all lamp questions go to www.rallylights.com

You can get a custom headlamp harness for less than the ARB stuff and they are incredibly helpful.
Old November 12th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks for inspiring confidence! I will give it a shot this afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore Ranger View Post
It's really easy. The new harness just plugs into one of the factory headlight connections (where they connect to the actual headlamps). You can use either one. then you just mount the relay block somewhere and hook it up the + and - to the battery, and the new connections to the headlamps. You do not need to mess with the switch or anything or do any other wiring. There are a few unused wires with the ARB kit.
------ Follow up post added November 12th, 2010 02:17 PM ------

Forgot to mention I have a pair of hella black magics wired into the high beams. Still plug & play?
Old November 12th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I had a couple more ARB Harness questions but since I'm hijacking this thread I moved them to a related thread.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=4450

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, lamp