Best practices help for running audio/power wires to rear of D110 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 21st, 2011, 08:53 PM
silverlight
Geoff
1993 Defender 110 NAS

Best practices help for running audio/power wires to rear of D110

Hi - I'm just about finished prepping the passenger side box for an audio amp install (clean-up, paint, dynamat, seal up screws, etc.). So the question I had was best practice opinion(s) on wiring. I drilled a hole to run power and line-levels from battery box and center console, respectively, and will use a grommet and sealed loom to make it hopefully waterproof. Next step will be to run power +/-, amp control on, and line level audio cables to the rear of the D110. At this point was just going to drop in a powered 8" bazooka tube woofer under one of the jump seats (if necessary can upgrade to a better custom box; had tried a powered MTX box but just a little too large). So question is do I either (a) run the wires in a loom under the chassis and drill a hole somewhere in the back to bring them into the rear cargo area, or (b) drill a hole in the rear of the passenger box and run the wires through there and under the carpets to the rear cargo area? "b" creates less of a water leakage risk. In any event, not an expert at this and haven't done it a bunch of times with a Defender to see what works best in the long term. Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2011, 01:16 AM
Yudda
Rob
1997/300tdi/110

Good question....i would like to know also.
Old September 27th, 2011, 09:30 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Generally it's always better to run audio lines seperately from all other power lines and on the interior. There's no real problem with running them outside as long as they are rated for exposure. One reason the interior is a better way to go is that audio components are often changed and it's usually better to have all the cabling easily accessible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
what he said! When I was installing my amp/Roverpc in my tuffybox, I had to undo all the wire and rerun the speaker wire seperately because when they were bundled with power wires they were picking up all kinds of feedback/interference. All my wires run internally except through the tunnel cover.
Old October 1st, 2011, 11:20 AM
silverlight
Geoff
1993 Defender 110 NAS

thanks guys that's helpful advice, that's what I'll do! I had picked up some speaker and RCA cables that allegedly have good EMI/RFI rejection capabilities. I also have a few little gizmo's from my home audio gear that help with this as well. I'm cleanly running all power and grounds to the same fuse block in the battery compartment which should minimize/eliminate ground loop / humm issues (hopefully!).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, ac, d110