Best paint to go over powder coat? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 4th, 2012, 03:17 PM
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118
Best paint to go over powder coat?

My NAS rear step and tire carier have powder coating that is wearing off. What is the best paint to go over the powder coat with? (i am not going to get everything galvanized or re-powder coated) i have heard PPG is great, but not sure which product would be best. or other paints? if the parts are rusty maybe use POR as an under coat? i wanted to see your thoughts. Thanks

Old April 4th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Sand blast it, then repair it, then paint it. You are only putting a band aid on it by painting the powdercoat.

Old April 4th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Jason Lavender
D-90 Source Vendor
I had some pc flake off in a spot on mine, hit it with Eastwood Chassis Black Extreme in that one spot. Seemed to do the trick.
Jason Lavender
'71 Series IIA
'88 127 #F96 DKN
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE
(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")
SDO Instagram
SDO Facebook
Old April 6th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Capt Milks
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25
Your complete fix is what Thomas said. What happens is some moisture has gotten below the powder coating and is causing it to flake off. You really may have a hard time finding out just how far the water intrusion has gone. However, if you sand around the bad area and make sure that you are to powder coat that is adhering well you then can spot spray that area. It may last for ever but also may not last very long at all?
Land Rover 110

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions