Defender Source Forum banner

Best NAS Year?

Tags
nas
3K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  ini88 
#1 ·
Hello, I am new here but have been lurking in the dark for the past couple of months. I am looking at getting a Defender 90, my childhood dream truck (like many of you!). Anyways, I've been obsessed about them ever since my mother bought me an old Matchbox of the Defender, Christmas 1985. Now that im grown up and have a job and income I would look to fulfill this dream. Since most of you guys and gals on this site know so much about Defenders, which year would you say would be the best to get? Which year has a lot of problems and which ones should I steer away from? I’ve been reading at the 97 looks like the best. But what do you all have to say?

Much appreciated!
Daniel

#2 ·
95. Good luck hunting!

#3 ·
I think they're all the same.
If you want an auto, you dont have much of a choice. You have to go with a 97.
If you want a stickshift, then its either a 94 or a 95.
if you have decided on a station wagon, then you're either looking at 95 or a 97. 94POEs are cool, but kinda tough to find one.

Like David said...Happy Hunting...

-arbi

#4 ·
Well I definitely want stick. Why would you drive automatic anyways? All cars and trucks should be driven stickshift. I almost bought a 94 POE but I heard parts are hard to get for them to fix. Like door and roof parts, because they basically did a shoddy job putting the roofs on when they shipped them over. And yeah... I know the hunting is going to take about a half a year to get one! haha.

#6 ·
ini88 said:
Well I definitely want stick. Why would you drive automatic anyways? All cars and trucks should be driven stickshift.
Well, sure, a stick is the only way to go in a TR6 or even a Jetta GLI but...

Try driving a 110 Tdi around Boston traffic and you'll soon enough appreciate an automatic - I know I'm desparate for one. I much prefer to drive the D90 because of its auto.

So, the hope is that a ZF behind a 300Tdi is a worthwhile solution.

Somebody tell me this is so ! :)

#7 ·
ronward said:
You might want to wheel one with slush-box before making a statement like that. :)
Ron kinda has a point. I've got a '94, with a manual obviously. I've been wheeling many times with friends in their Discos and RRCs with autos and think that autos are just as good offroad if not better in some situations. Being able to work gas and brake simultaniously is a plus. Personally, when it comes time to swap trannies, in the far future as mine only has 20,000 miles on it, I'll most likely move to an auto. It all comes down to preference in the end.

#8 ·
"94 POE but I heard parts are hard to get for them to fix."

Like what?

They is little difference between 94 and 95. Outside the early AC on most 94s and the LT77 manual which has been replaced on almost all of them, there is nothing of substance. I like 94 lights better as they don't rot out.

Ron

#9 ·
the main thing to consider is how much are you willing to spend.
I am a die hard manual tranny guy; however, I have 2 90's and they both are 97's with auto. Remember you're not driving a sports car here. No need to shift into 2nd and floor it out of a turn. The main differences are 94's have square tail light and a different/weaker transmission and transfer case.
95 have round tail lights (my preference)
97 look like 95's with auto tranny's

prices:
94's $13-22
95's $18-27
97's $30-40
depends on condition and miles. If you're interested I have a 97' LE SW with 72K in Manhattan. has a super charger and auxiliary fuel tank, looking to get $36K for it.

#11 ·
Personally, I like stick just fine. I wheel my auto disco and my D90 and it is a preference thing. There is not a soul that could convince me that going downhill that an auto is better--the sticks rule because you have much better control over your speed. Also, I have been running an LT77 and I have had no issues. One of the reasons for the swap to R380's was the 77's are hard to shift into reverse for the general public. All R380's I know about snick from 1st to 2nd (but not my 77!). If you find a 94 with a 77, just make sure that you either have the drilled input shaft or the oil recycle plate fitted.

If you plan to wheel, just get the cheapest one you can find with as little rust as possible. Since stock trucks are more $$, try and find one already modified--it is the best bang for the buck. If you want it as a commuter, get your head examined. If your exame comes back that you are crazy (like half the people including me on this board) then get as get the least expensive, rust free example that does not have the frame beat up by rocks.

As far as parts go for the POE, they are all available--at least the ones that rot. Don't worry about that. You can find a nice example D90 for $15K if you are patient. You can get a beater for $10K if you are patient.

#12 · (Edited)
ini88 said:
Hello, I am new here but have been lurking in the dark for the past couple of months. I am looking at getting a Defender 90, my childhood dream truck (like many of you!). Anyways, I've been obsessed about them ever since my mother bought me an old Matchbox of the Defender, Christmas 1985. Now that im grown up and have a job and income I would look to fulfill this dream. Since most of you guys and gals on this site know so much about Defenders, which year would you say would be the best to get? Which year has a lot of problems and which ones should I steer away from? I’ve been reading at the 97 looks like the best. But what do you all have to say?

Much appreciated!
Daniel
With only 5000 to choose from, can you really be too picky? If you know which sidw of a screwdriver to use, then it doesn't matter which one you choose, beyond personal preference. It's not like one year really sucks compared to another. There's only the three years to choose from unless you get to know George from RDS better ;)

And FYI - if you want a 4 wheeling machine, get opne that's already set up - it's cheaper than the "never offroaded (never maintained) examples out there. If you want a yuppie wanna-be but took-ten-years-too-long-to-get-there "hep" mobile, then go here!

#15 ·
I had my trans and transfer case replaces about 2 months ago with another LT77 as I saw no reason to upgrade. So far its been running fine. Chris do you have the 77 in your truck now with the 4.6? Any issues mating the two?

#16 ·
David your prices are off. There is almost no price difference between 94 and 95, maybe a grand or two at most. 97s do not start at 30k. More like 21-35 for 97s, and for 35 you can get a 30k truck. Only really low miles trucks get 40+.

94 15-25
95 16-27
97 21-35

#17 ·
isn't 30K miles low for an 8 year old truck?
I have never seen a 97 for less than $23K and that had 150K miles on it.

#18 ·
You guys are all giving bs PC answers instead of hard core opinions backed up by opinions! The answer to your question is still 95. 94's had crappy trannies. Some are were replaced, some not. 97's had serious overheating problems that many here are still trying to deal with. Plus, many had auto's which are only acceptable if you are handycapped, or a woman :girl So, that leaves.... 95! Go get er done! :thumbs

#19 ·
Thanks guys. So basically the years of the trucks don’t really matter. Obviously the condition and miles and wear and tear matter like any car/truck would when buying a used one. I understand more now with the stick/auto debate. I love stick, but being from NYC and having a standard car down here; it does suck in traffic, like that in Boston. Plus I would probably burn the clutch out off roading within a season. Dave, I saw your truck the other month down in the east village. I actually too a picture of it with my phone. haha. I’ve seen your white one, a blue one and I test drove a POE green one.

I guess Price really isn’t an issue at the moment. I would like to spend up to 30,000.

G
#23 · (Edited)
Well, I love my 94 D90 five speed...
Alot more fun than my 200 BMW.528I
with its stupid " steptronic" transmission my husband upsolutly
had 2 have and doesnt even know how to use :lol
kinda like me and that dif-lock:grin
ALSO " it depents a great deal on how someone took care of the vehicle!!!!
A 94 may last you alot longer if it has been properly maintained and keept, unlike
an 97 thats been trashed and run in the ground!!!!!
Every Defender, Disco or freelander is unique there are ALOT of things that
could go wrong on ANY OF THEM reguardless of year.
You do the math...use your'e OWN judgemant!
Best of luck
Christine

#24 · (Edited)
Automatics are a bore. The torque converters siphon off power and response. They shift at inopportune times and make four wheeling about as much fun as "safari" ride through a theme park. That said, they're great for folks with disabilities or arthritis.

Truth is lots of people grew up with auto's and never really grew accustomed to shifting. Mine's a daily driver and I like shifting. Much nicer when driving on gradients. Nothing worse than a heavy truck whose auto keeps shifting around for a gear that doesn't exist.

#25 · (Edited)
sheki said:
I have never seen a 97 for less than $23K and that had 150K miles on it.

I have seen several 97 in the last year that were under 20K, they were not low mile perfect examples but they are out there it you take your time and watch.

Here is one that I wanted to bid on sooooooo bad it hurt :angry One owner with a clean carfax

had a few little issues but standard stuff for a LR.... The owner did not have a reserve on it and it just closed today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=4565496010&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

#26 ·
Lucas, you could have sold all the stuff you won at the raffle and bought that bad boy. 18K for that!? What a bargain, in deed! I don't know if I should feel bad for the seller or happy for the buyer. That's a rare find. Of course, with 2 D-90's, I stoped looking at prices a while ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.