Best GPS Maps for PC - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 28th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Owen Jones
Yellow`95 D90 ST #2188
Best GPS Maps for PC

Does anyone have some advice on the selection of PC GPS Map software for off/onroad navigation?

I'm planning on using a mini PC and an iTrek receiver mainly on offroad trails. The TOPO! series from National Geographic seems the most attractive choice but there are several out there and I dont relish trying them all!

Thanks in advance!

"I think you need a little weatherstripping - right here..."
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW
I have been using Maptech for several years now and am very happy with it.

They use the regular USGS topo maps which have lots of detail. Haven't used any of the others though. It is very easy to tell public from private land if you combine it with a paper BLM of NFS map.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -Thomas Jefferson
Old May 30th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Sean-Paul Ferrera
1994 D90 POE
I have been using Delorme Topo for years (Versions 5, 6, 7) I also have a copy of Delorme Street Atlas from 2004. When went to purchase a portable GPS I decided to go with the brand I trusted and purchased the Earthmate PN-20 which is a portable GPS that works with their software (maps upload to it etc.). Software works very well and allows you to download and use USGS quads, NOAA nautical charts, etc.

Best of luck,

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions