Best donor 90 to do a diesel conv.? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 20th, 2005, 10:20 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

Best donor 90 to do a diesel conv.?

So I'm shopping finally for a replacement 90 (now after 3 years of being 90-less and having to rough-it with Rangies)

I'd like to do either a 300Tdi or 2.8 swap into the new 90 eventually (preferably sooner rather than later) and was wondering what would make the best donor...

A 3.9/LT77 or R380 model or a 4.0/ZF model or does it make any difference at all. I have no preference as to whether the transmission is a manual or auto now or later.

Thanks, Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2005, 11:57 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

I was in your same situation and bought a 97 because of the ZF. As a daily driver the ZF is a stronger tranny for the 2.8, plus with such a torque engine you end up going through the gears in a manual so quickly before you get up to a driving speed. The resale on a 4.0 is better than that of a 3.9. I know good ole buck will disagree, ain't that right buck.
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Old October 21st, 2005, 07:28 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I agree... through the gears in seconds...lol
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2005, 10:57 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
I was in your same situation and bought a 97 because of the ZF. As a daily driver the ZF is a stronger tranny for the 2.8, plus with such a torque engine you end up going through the gears in a manual so quickly before you get up to a driving speed. The resale on a 4.0 is better than that of a 3.9. I know good ole buck will disagree, ain't that right buck.
What am I not supposed to agree with? I don't agree that I am not supposed to agree.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 21st, 2005, 10:08 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Well, I guess there is a first for everything.
I know your feeling on autos, "they are for girls and the handicapped". So I assumed you would be all for recommending a manual tranny.

Old October 21st, 2005, 10:29 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
Well, I guess there is a first for everything.
I know your feeling on autos, "they are for girls and the handicapped". So I assumed you would be all for recommending a manual tranny.
How could I? Maybe Aggie is a girl or handicapped and needs an auto. I don't judge.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 24th, 2005, 01:55 AM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

David,

How can you argue with such insightful and non-judgemental reasoning
...right there with ya Buck!

-arbi
Old October 24th, 2005, 07:35 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Kevin,
If I'm correct, the LT77 would have to go. The R380 would be swapped out for a diesel one (K suffix?) as the bellhousing is different. So if you go with the 3.9/5spd, either way the gearbox gets changed out. I do know people have futzed with the ZF and have hooked them up to the diesel, but dont know any more than that.
Ultimately, what do you want?
Old October 24th, 2005, 10:50 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

the bellhousing can be used, it needs to be modified to fit the starter. Essentially a little cutting and some simple metal work are required. The only thing that needs changing with the ZF is the torque converter.

Old October 24th, 2005, 01:46 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

LOL...

Well I'm not a girl nor handicapped, but my father does go with me on trips and is handicapped which is why my first 90 was an auto.

I'm honestly pretty lazy about driving and would probably go with an auto given a choice...unless it was a car that was rarely driven and one I would kick my own ass for buying an auto in.

Sounds like there'll be some work involved either way. Thanks for the comments.
Old October 30th, 2005, 01:37 AM
Broke It
Dave Butler
99 disco

I like the control a manual transmission has on wet slippery surfaces, when a tire slips it dosn't take off. But on the other hand an auto is nice because it gives you infinite gearing between 1st and fourth. I used a 2.5 liter out of a 90 Wolf in my 2A and loved the torque, it would crawl all day, On the freeway it was a "little" gutless. The 200 tdi is available in canada, there is a guy in Kamloops who gets all the military rigs that have been totaled out, he can only sell the parts. Thats where i bought my engine. My buddy bought a transmission with a transfercase already mated together for his 110 and it worked really well. Plus the transmission and tranny were already set up for the 300tdi.
Old October 30th, 2005, 11:42 AM
dnewman9
Dennis Newman
*SOLD*Conniston 97 NAS 90

Wouldn't it be better to use a 94-95 and convert from gas/manual to auto/diesel? From the research I did here in Colorado, if you convert a 97 you have to have an OBD2 diesel meaning alot of electronics. That is to remain emissions legal. If you start with a 94-95 you only need the same level of electronics as was on the gas engine? I know there are ways around that but they could cause issues if you sell the vehicle to someone in another state?
D

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, diesel