Best Diagnostic Tool for TD5 ? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 18th, 2016, 07:09 PM
WestCoastRover
Jeff
2000 TD5

Registry
Smile Best Diagnostic Tool for TD5 ?

Hello,
I am looking for advice on a scanner tool for the TD5 Defenders.
Mainly to read engine light codes and issues.
Affordable would be nice, I am in Canada but can order from the UK easy.

Hope to hear of some great products. Thanks!

PS, I understand that remapping involves installments of microchips, and boost boxes.
Is there any remapping or performance gains available out of these scanner tools?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 18th, 2016, 08:34 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Early Td5's you need to have a chip from the ECU removed and a new on re-installed. Later Td5's you can download a new program into the ECU.

Stay away from boos boxes.

Remember, more power, more heat (EGT for example) ...it's never just as simple as plug and play if you don't want to run into issues down the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 18th, 2016, 08:59 PM
WestCoastRover
Jeff
2000 TD5

Registry
Yes it's always a good idea to get an Allisport intercooler, better air filter, EGR delete and mid pipe delete when you remap to keep EGR's down. I have had 3 Defenders with re-mapped ECU's and have been very impressed. -I am curious, what year TD5 did they switch to the plug and play?

And for this thread, I am still looking for the best scanner tool. And due to technology changes, researching all the forums is not that relevant.
Old October 18th, 2016, 09:44 PM
WestCoastRover
Jeff
2000 TD5

Registry
Is this a solid choice? The Nanocom for the Defender. $450cad.

Products - NCOM01 Defender TD5 kit - NANOCOM Diagnostics
Old October 19th, 2016, 12:03 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Snap on Solus Ultra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 19th, 2016, 12:56 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastRover View Post
Is this a solid choice? The Nanocom for the Defender. $450cad.

Products - NCOM01 Defender TD5 kit - NANOCOM Diagnostics
"You should note that there are 2 variations of the TD5 ECU, MSB denotes a non programmable version where the later NNN can be programmed using the Nanocom Evolution."

Guess it all depends on what you are planning on using it for.
Old October 28th, 2016, 02:51 PM
jhealey
John Healey
2003 110 Td5 hardtop

Hey WestCoastRover,

I use a Nanocom on my Td5 (not in the US) and I can't recommend it enough. It's super simple -- very small for what it does and I actually leave mine plugged in all the time and will often use it to monitor water temp accurately when on longer trips (it has an alarm you can set to alert you if the engine goes over a certain temp), and also just to nerd out on the engine while driving. You can use it to check and clear fault codes, watch injector timing values, change certain settings, test injectors, gauges, etc. And with the latest firmware update it auto records to an SD card, so anytime you turn it on it'll start recording data from a drive, which you can then graph and analyze later. Probably the most common use for a Nanocom is to test and view data from the sensors in the engine to determine which ones are working right and which ones aren't.

Mine paid for itself within the first few months of buying it. While on a drive in the Himalayas I started noticing that the water temp was going higher despite not being under much load. The alarm then went off (it's not very loud, but you can notice it) and I look under the truck and there's a pin-hole coolant leak that had been spraying for a little while. As you may know the coolant gauge on a Td5 is run by the ECU and isn't an accurate gauge of water temp -- so the gauge was still in the "normal" zone... and often in a Td5 if the gauge hits red it's too late.

Recently I had an injector harness fail while driving. Suddenly got a misfire, pulled over and read injector timings and saw #5 was showing wildly fluctuating numbers. Pulled off cam cover and immediately found #5 had a crack in the harness that was allowing oil to mess up the injector. Cleaned the oil out which temporarily stopped the misfire and it was fine until the new harness arrived. Had it sorted within 20 minutes. Without the Nanocom that may have taken quite some time.

I also was able to determine that my cat converter was clogged b/c I was seeing very low MAF readings. First thought it was a bad MAF, and then eventually realized something was restricting air flow and found that the cat was totally clogged. Removed the cat (where I live it's not needed) and air flow values were back to normal.

As much as I like the 300 and 200tdi's, having an engine that you can read and store live data on and "see" exactly what's going on with it is really helpful both for diagnostics and prevention.

One note though -- the glass touchscreen isn't super strong and it's easy to crack it if you're touching it while driving off road and you press too hard on it by accident while bouncing around (ask me how I know). Other than that I've been using mine for over 4 years and it's worked flawlessly.

Hope this helps.

John
Old November 9th, 2016, 06:19 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

As said above, nanocom is good. I have a first generation unit (not even USB) and it works well. It will store several ECU maps in its own memory, so can be a truley stand alone unit if you want to program an ECU. (although using is as an interface from a laptop makes it much easier as you have a decent screen to check and view information)

Regarding the ECU's, CDN38 is correct, the early (MSB*****) ECU's can't be "flashed" without physically opening the lid and swapping chips over. best to get a later NNN500020 (which is the manual gearbox defender spec ECU), which will swap straight over.
The mamocom also has "file manager" software with all the basic engine files for every type of Td5...defender, disco, manual, auto, 10P, 15P etc. so if you fit the later NNN ecu to your early 10P defender then you can install the proper software to it (the engine will run with the later software but *apperently* it isn't good for longevity as the injectors are considerably different between early and late 10P & 15P engines.

10P and 15/16P being the engine number, in case you didn't know.

as JHEALY says, the nano is great for fault finding. I had a similir issue with my 110, misfiring, was just a crappy connection on an injector plug, but I could go straight to it, no messing.

Also you can play with the 10AS alarm settings, interior lights, alarm plippers etc.

I've got some nanocom ECU files here too if anyone wants them... stage 1 130bh, an allisport 170bhp, but for that one you need the intercooler and turbo "boost box", which is a masking device that stops the ECU from getting an over-boost error and going into limp home more (nothing more than a voltage regulator in a snazzy ali case really!) but you need to inscrease the boost slightly to get that power...

alive tuning does one too: Td5 Turbo Booster Module

Here's a link to BAS (Bell Auto Services.,... what he and allisport don't know about tuning isn't worth knowing!) with the full instructions, and how to adjust the turbo:

https://secure.bellautoservices.co.u...td5booster.pdf
Old November 9th, 2016, 07:44 AM
Jbullis
Jason Bullis
1986 110, 1994 NAS 90 #1810, 2006 L

Registry
Nanacom, or so I have been told....
Old November 9th, 2016, 12:52 PM
WestCoastRover
Jeff
2000 TD5

Registry
Wow guys! What useful information!
Remapping, finding faults and evening adjusting alarming settings!! That's exactly what I al looking for. Ordering one shortly.

When did the NNN come out?
Was it in 2001 when the rear door and fog/reverse lights changed?
Or 2002 when the TD5 dash console changed?
Old November 9th, 2016, 01:02 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

I think it was more 2002 when the dash changed and the 15P engine came into fruition (also changed to a 3 track throttle/gas pedal,different injectors and a different EGR system I believe)

------ Follow up post added November 9th, 2016 06:04 PM ------

edit: doesn't have to be just the NNN500020, there's a couple of other ones that can be used in the defender... I'll dig out my notes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
td5