Best cabin heater for 110 dcpu - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 4th, 2013, 09:19 AM
gomotomoto
adam
None

Best cabin heater for 110 dcpu

about to purchase a cabin heater. I found a few, but I'm not sure what makes them different, so looking for some advice.

I have a 110 dcpu so the cab is smaller than a 110 wagon. Most of my trips are very short, so heating up the cab quickly is important.

I found a unit for under $700:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Planar-44D-1...d115aa&vxp=mtr

Brand name one for under 1000:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Webasto-...94d4dd&vxp=mtr

I'm also not sure if there's a better product for my truck, but I think going with the webasto is a safer bet.

Any insight is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 4th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Someone else asked the same question about a Russian heater a day or two ago.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old December 4th, 2013, 09:45 AM
gomotomoto
adam
None

Yes, sir -- that was me. I am thinking that the 300 difference isn't really worth the gamble. I'm also not sure if the webasto is the right model for the cabin in my 110 dcpu. Just looking for some guidance on what to buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 4th, 2013, 10:06 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
The planer is for heating something much bigger than your 110 cab ... talk to Tom Slaughter he knows about the webastos.

If you have short journeys why not use a core heater or coolant heater to avoid the cold start wear on your engine.

Alternatively seat heaters work well ... thats what I have to bridge the gap between startup and warm air.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 4th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
A 2kW Webasto or Espar is a good fit.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old December 4th, 2013, 10:24 AM
gomotomoto
adam
None

Yes, Tom is actually going to help install I think. Great guy, very cool too.

I'd love to bypass it altogether, but I need the heat quickly. I live in NJ now & I surf all winter long. When I get out of the water, I need that heat. Otherwise comfort is beyond shit changing in & out of a wetsuit when your freezing cold.

I am after the info you just gave. I was not sure what the coolant heater did. now I get it -- it helps with the cold start and heats the cabin, is that correct? Do the coolant heaters bring the cab up to temp quickly too?

Thanks again for this info and I know it buried in this forum already, but it's scattered about and tough to put the pieces together -- at least surface level, so it's not just pure laziness (not reading through). I have read quite a bit, but nothing really walks you through the basics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
The planer is for heating something much bigger than your 110 cab ... talk to Tom Slaughter he knows about the webastos.

If you have short journeys why not use a core heater or coolant heater to avoid the cold start wear on your engine.

Alternatively seat heaters work well ... thats what I have to bridge the gap between startup and warm air.
Old December 4th, 2013, 10:32 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
The coolant heater allows the engine heater to warm the cabin faster ... in your use case though I would imagine the ability to run the heater without running the vehicle is paramount and as Red90 a Webasto or Espar is what you need.
Old December 4th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Sorry about that. Honestly, I'd spent the extra $300 and get the Webasto. I've found trying to save cash on somethings ends up costing more in the long run.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old December 4th, 2013, 04:46 PM
gomotomoto
adam
None

Thanks all. Bought the webasto 2000 -- appreciate all the help. Looking forward to being warm
Old December 4th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
It also helps to fix all of the air leaks. I replaced my front door seals and added the 2011+ style lower door seal, and it made a world of difference.
Old December 4th, 2013, 10:42 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Was looking at this setup myself; there are several sellers on fleabay selling GSM controlled relay switches... If I buck up and buy one ill document the install
Old December 4th, 2013, 11:36 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
Was looking at this setup myself; there are several sellers on fleabay selling GSM controlled relay switches... If I buck up and buy one ill document the install
So how do you get a GSM receiver to work in the USA without having to pay monthly carrier fees? I run a long distance remote on mine, but a GSM would be nice if there were no fees to keep the SIM card alive.

Old December 5th, 2013, 07:05 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
So how do you get a GSM receiver to work in the USA without having to pay monthly carrier fees? I run a long distance remote on mine, but a GSM would be nice if there were no fees to keep the SIM card alive.
You can't.
Old December 5th, 2013, 07:18 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
You can't.
Well, you can, you just buy a prepaid GSM sim card from a tracphone or similar company. I mean it isn't free but as long as the minutes and credit don't expire the cost is really negligible. Combined with the fact that you only need the sim card for the winter months you'd be looking at maybe $25/year to run the remote via cell phone. Compared with the cost of a long range remote it's actually comparable

I mean the kids plan is only $5/month :P
http://www.kajeet.com/kajeetStore/serviceplans.do
Old December 5th, 2013, 07:33 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
The models on fleabay have 2 relays in them. If one could bypass the fan control in the dash and switch on both the Coolant heater and the fan in the truck you would have, effectively, a diesel fired cabin heater as well. With a dual battery setup I think it would be a very bright solution to a cabin defroster. If you get fancy you could even throw a 'fan switch' or similar somewhere in the system to power the fan only when the coolant reaches a particular temp.

All hypothetical, I mean I don't even have my truck back yet, but it would be an interesting MOD and a great addition for all of us freezing in the north country.
Old December 5th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You don't need two relays for a coolant heater. The heaters have the control system built in to turn on the interior fan once the coolant is warm enough. I already have this all setup with a long distance remote that works great and cost very little.

Old December 5th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
Well, you can, you just buy a prepaid GSM sim card from a tracphone or similar company. I mean it isn't free but as long as the minutes and credit don't expire the cost is really negligible. Combined with the fact that you only need the sim card for the winter months you'd be looking at maybe $25/year to run the remote via cell phone. Compared with the cost of a long range remote it's actually comparable

I mean the kids plan is only $5/month :P
http://www.kajeet.com/kajeetStore/serviceplans.do
I will have to look around, but I don't think in Canada, you can't do anything less than $10 a month. My long range remote cost $15. I guess $10 a month is not bad, but there are not a lot of situation the long distance remote does not work.

Old December 5th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Jbullis
Jason Bullis
1994 NAS 90 #1810, 2006 LR3

Registry
What kind of long range remote do you have, how long is the range?

Quote:
I will have to look around, but I don't think in Canada, you can't do anything less than $10 a month. My long range remote cost $15. I guess $10 a month is not bad, but there are not a lot of situation the long distance remote does not work.
Old December 5th, 2013, 02:33 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
You don't need two relays for a coolant heater. The heaters have the control system built in to turn on the interior fan once the coolant is warm enough. I already have this all setup with a long distance remote that works great and cost very little.
What heater did you end up using?

JT

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, heater