best battery for cold starting 200 tdi - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 31st, 2012, 12:47 PM
Sandt Michener
1984 Ninety
best battery for cold starting 200 tdi

I've looked around old posts but haven't really found exactly the info I'm looking for.
I haven't had the need to look at the battery so with the cold weather looming I finally thought to check out what I had. The battery has been working just fine but I want to make sure it will start if it gets to be a proper cold winter. Last year in NH was very warm so it wasn't a concern.
After looking I was a bit surprised to find a GM battery with a piece of blue tape that someone wrote "good" on it. And nothing holding it in place.
So, I'm looking for advice on the best battery for cold starting a diesel after it's been sitting at work all day. I don't have any fancy lighting or a winch (yet). Also, what group size should it be and any mounting ideas. (I did see some good mounting threads, any favorites?)

Old October 31st, 2012, 12:53 PM
Viton Johnnson
Smart 4x4
The closer you can get to 1200 CCA the better, though close to 1000 CCA is aceptable. Many people are buying the Sears Platinum series.

Old October 31st, 2012, 01:11 PM
I have never seen a rover in person
I like the interstate battery for a NAS D90. The one for a bosch p38a fits but is a lot more money and does not fit quite as well but it is bigger.
*not legal advice*
Old October 31st, 2012, 02:50 PM
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb
First thing is to have the current battery load tested. Usually they can do that at any local auto parts store for free. That will tell you if there are any cells that are bad or not performing. A flooded lead/acid battery should be good even for low temps as long as it is in good condition.
Batteries are made in two types; starting and deep cycle. Think of them as a sprinter and a marathoner, respectively. A deep cycle battery can be used for starting, but a starting can't be used for deep cycling.
You can tell the difference simply by trying to lift them. The same group size will weigh quite a bit differently, with the deep cycle being much much heavier due to the thick plates of lead. Start batteries have grid plates with lots of surface area so that they can release lots of energy quickly, thus their plates are lighter. Also, deep cycle batteries will be made in far fewer group sizes; usually only in 24, 31, 4D and 8D.
Most people would agree that the new development of absorbed glass mat (AGM) has far exceeded the performance of the old flooded lead acid battery. They come in both starting and deep cycle and even in a combination of the two. They last longer, hold a charge better and allow more flexible mounting options than flooded cell batteries. They cost more, but outlive flooded cells by at least three times so end up being cheaper in the long run. I highly recommend this type of battery especially in cold climate conditions.
I think you can fit a Group 24 battery, which shares the same footprint as a Group 34 but is taller.
The most popular brands are Optima (spiral), Odyssey (traditional plate), Deka (ditto) and Sears Die Hard. My personal choice is the Deka made by East Penn in good old Pennsyltucky.
Bill Adams

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Old October 31st, 2012, 02:53 PM
1994 RRC SWB
I have been running the Napa Commercial batteries and they are working very well.

Eric Riston
Commission-Based Retail Sales Representative
1-800-533-2210 ext 231
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.!/pages/Atl...31/75127965866
Old October 31st, 2012, 02:59 PM
Defenders Northwest
D-90 Source Vendor
Originally Posted by brn24whl View Post
I have been running the Napa Commercial batteries and they are working very well.
Same here
Old October 31st, 2012, 07:01 PM
Matt Oaks
1992 Defender 90
You have to go with Odyssey or the Die Hard Platinum. They are both produced by Enersys. Enersys is a huge Defender Supporter!!!!! Plus if you go Odyssey and shoot me some photos I will send you some free gear!!!! I too have a 200tdi. PM me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

battery, start, starting, tdi