Best ARB Compressor installation location? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 7th, 2011, 09:29 PM
silverlight
Geoff
1993 Defender 110 NAS

Best ARB Compressor installation location?

I am planning to install an ARB compressor (CKMTA12) on the 110 this weekend, just for tire inflation, not lockers at this point. Would prefer not to install under passenger seat given I'm planning on doing an audio amp install there. Any particular location under the hood that would be best/safest under the hood? I think I recall reading that someone here installed on front drivers side behind the horns with a custom mount. Appreciate any suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 7th, 2011, 09:34 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Yes I did this, but do not recommend it for one reason - it's difficult to access so it makes maintenance much harder than it should be.

On my phone but there should be a thread here on it if you still want to go this route.
Old September 7th, 2011, 09:39 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I would skip the ARB and go for a belt-driven York compressor with a small tank. The York puts out real PSI and can drive air tools. If all you want to do is inflate tires when you go wheeling and you don't want to install the York, pick up a Power Tank. I have one and they are indispensable. It can inflate my tires easily and carry it from truck to truck to run air tools. It doesn't have the infinite capacity of the York but it's a pretty good compromise if your needs are more basic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 7th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
the ARB unit will take frickin forever to air up tires. its great if you don't have anything else, but the powertank setup is worth the extra dough. you will have all four tires aired up and ready to go before the arb can finish one.
Old September 7th, 2011, 10:33 PM
silverlight
Geoff
1993 Defender 110 NAS

The PowerTank looks like a more practical suggestion, only question would be finding a fill station. I could be doing fills 1x/weekend so could be a regular trip to get refilled. I'll start searching for places to get the tank filled
Old September 7th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Can a person use a Co2 tank from a welding supply house instead of power tank?
Old September 7th, 2011, 11:45 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Yes, welding tanks work fine and you can get your CO2 at a welding or industrial gas shop.
I'd suggest asking for an aluminum tank and repeating that when you re-fill as you may not get the same tank back.
Old September 8th, 2011, 12:24 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

You can put a Power Tank regulator on a standard scuba tank but the cost is a wash unless you already have the tank.

Fills are easy. As cdb suggested, any welding supply or gas shop like Praxair, Airgas, etc., can fill your tank. It takes about 10 minutes and costs $10-20 per fill.

I bought the 10 lb. Power Tank from EE in black, with the optional tank boot. I bought the Power Bracket COMP to store the tank but ended up just shoving the tank into the cubby that I built, where it fits like a glove.
Old September 8th, 2011, 05:29 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I've had trucks with the compressor under the seat and now under the hood. I have a good spot on my Tdi where the AC is supposed to go. It vibrates like hell, but has held up for two years now. Under hood is more accessible, and I added an auxiliary tank built from a 3gal fire extinguisher, and a line that goes to the rear. I also put in a valve to isolate the air tank.

After all of the above, I just bought a Source Air OBA complete 20lb setup for $400 shipped. I may eventually use it to run the lockers too.

I just got tired of spending half an hour to air up 35" tires....

------ Follow up post added September 8th, 2011 05:34 AM ------

Oh, I also contemplated using a scuba tank and building my own system, but you don't save a significant amount of $$. My welding shop wanted $150 for a 20lb tank, plus $30 for the fill, then throw in a regulator, bracket, etc and it started to get close to a decent manufactured OBA setup. Check out 4x4 Group Buy for good pricing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old September 8th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

If you make your own tank be careful that the valve is the proper type. If you just get a standard valve they have a tendency to freeze up more than the powertank set up. I get my Powertank filled at the welding supply. One other option is to get the Warn Powerplant winch. It works fantastic. I installed my ARB pump in the Battery box. I like it better than the engine compartment since it doesn't get as dirty and I can feel it when it is working.
Old September 8th, 2011, 07:04 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I've had my Powertank for 6 years, check ebay and CL... Get a second tank and you won't have to get them filled as often. Call around and you will find better prices on CO2. I used to go to a welding shop and they were $16 to fill a 15# tank, and now I go to Control Beverage, and they are $12. Some of the other welding shops wanted $36.

Old September 8th, 2011, 09:44 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I do not use my arb compressor for my tires since I'd rather it live a long healthy life actuating my lockers instead of wearing it out filling tires.

I have an Outback Air tank (similar setup to a powertank but with a fixed regulator and cheaper) but the only downside is the cost and inconvenience of filling it. The best price I can get locally is $22 for a 10# tank. Fantastic otherwise. My long term plan is to convert my now unused A/C compressor into an OBA setup and have the best of both worlds - unlimited air but the powertank when you want portability or shear speed/volume of air.
Old September 8th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Charles, I get mine filled at a Fire Extinguisher Company, $ 12.00 for a 10 or 15 lbs.

Maybe I'll get it from you between HH and fill it *LOL*
Old September 8th, 2011, 10:04 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Haha, thanks but as cheap as I am, it's not worth the inconvenience to either of us
Old September 8th, 2011, 02:54 PM
silverlight
Geoff
1993 Defender 110 NAS

Just ordered a 2 tank PowerTank setup from EE and should be ready to go. I think I'll have to drive for 1.5-2 hrs round trip to get a fill so 2 tanks was more practical. will keep researching hopefully will find something closer.
appreciate the help!
Old June 5th, 2012, 01:07 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlight View Post
I am planning to install an ARB compressor (CKMTA12) on the 110 this weekend, just for tire inflation, not lockers at this point. Would prefer not to install under passenger seat given I'm planning on doing an audio amp install there. Any particular location under the hood that would be best/safest under the hood? I think I recall reading that someone here installed on front drivers side behind the horns with a custom mount. Appreciate any suggestions
So where did you end up installing it? I have the same compressor, but I am pretty set on putting it under the passenger seat.
Old June 5th, 2012, 08:53 AM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

mounted above alternator on fender with support bracket on bottom...works well and easy to service...inserted blue air lines in clear tubbing at any friction points...this is the smaller unit used only for lockers. I use Co2 for tires and carry a backup 12v compressor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D-90 ARB 1.JPG
Views:	1086
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	52572   Click image for larger version

Name:	D-90 ARB 2.JPG
Views:	1020
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	52573  

Old June 6th, 2012, 02:56 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

I will second Chris' advice. The AC York compressor is the way to go.
Old January 1st, 2015, 01:00 PM
jmx
John Cross
1993/D110 NAS

AC York Compressor Install Questions

I've a '93 D110 which already has an AC Compressor installed. Is it possible to install a second one for the purpose of tools/airing tires/etc.?
Old January 1st, 2015, 01:09 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
jmx...this is a real old thread revival from a newb!! Whom actually lives close to our monthly Happy Hour spot - you need to get your arse to this in January so we can drool over your NAS D110, and give you some in person answers!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
compressor, installation