Best approach to prevent galvanic corrosion? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 25th, 2008, 09:37 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Best approach to prevent galvanic corrosion?

Does anyone know which Aluminum Alloy has been used for the Defender body skin? I'm looking at the galvanic chart and Aluminum seems to be between .75 and .90 with the next closest material that seems suitable for plating the mild-steel parts seems to be Chromium at .60 which I figure could also be used to plate stainless steel parts as well to bring their galvanic potential closer to that of the Aluminum.

Does anyone have any specific advice on keeping things from turning to white dust over the years beyond the common sense of keeping things clean and dry, using aluminum fasteners when possible, using cad-plated bolts, and putting nylon washers between steel and aluminum parts when re-assembling things, as well as the obvious of keeping the waxoyl up to date (something the PO neglected to even get done, it's a good thing they don't use much road-salt in Oxfordshire, but we do use substantial amounts here in Canada).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 25th, 2008, 09:47 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I don't know but galvanized steel is not galvanically active with the alum in rovers.
Old November 25th, 2008, 12:06 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Thanks, that helps a lot. Zinc it is then.

Has anyone tried the Cadwell zinc plating kit? They have a pre-treatment that will even let you plate aluminum, sounds like one possible option. I do fully intend to swap in a galvanized chassis as well, and hot-dip the parts as they come in for replacement /off for restoration.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 25th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Galvanized. That's why Series rovers used galvanized fasteners where they came in to contact with the Birmabright.
Zinc plated fasteners don't last in my experience.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old November 25th, 2008, 09:20 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I use Corrosion-X. Look it up, buy it, spray it everywhere.
Old March 18th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Bringing this thread back. I have a fair amount of galvanic corrosion on my door skins. As I am planning to repaint the truck what measures can be taken in order to prevent galvanic corrosion in the future? What kind of precautionary measures can and should be taken?
Old March 18th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Strip the skins off and galvanize the steel structural parts of the doors.
Use Armor Coat fasteners.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old March 18th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

It is all about isolation. Dis-similar metals will react with each other. Just go to any Boat forum and you can find a world of information on Galvanic action. On one of the re-builds I found a lot of aluminum rot in the brackets that hold the mid bulkhead. These steel brackets were connected to the steel frame that intern were connected to the aluminum bulkhead. The aluminum was in horrible shape. If you isolate the different metals you will stop or at least slow down the problem.
Old April 7th, 2012, 02:06 PM
hank17
Lilya Vorobey
94 D90

Hi Guys,
LANACOTE is a marine grade rust and corrosioin inhibitor - to the point where absolutely no air or moisture gets into what ever you have put it on. The one draw back with this stuff is that it is sticky and dogs love it....

I use it on my sailboat and the rover. Just keep it away from the other rover and wear gloves otherwise you will be trying to wash it off for days.
Any boat place should have it, about $10 for a small jar that will last a very long time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, event