Bending door tops? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 17th, 2010, 06:10 PM
SeattleRRC
Woody
1990 RRC SWB, 1994 D90 ST

Bending door tops?

Installed a great new Badger I FDS top not long ago, but the door tops do not make a seal with the soft top (see attached picture). In particular, the top rear part of the door tops leaves a big gap where water/wind pour in. I spoke with Chris at Badger, who recommended bending the door top inwards, and suggested that I ask folks on D-90.com the best way to do that.

Any guidance on bending the sliding-glass door tops inwards to make a tighter seal against the soft top?
I should note that these same door tops made an excellent seal against my fiberglass hard top. I'm not opposed to bending them, just wanted to throw that out for what its worth.

Thx-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Badger Major Door Gaps.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	30202  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
I slipped zip ties into the outside seal tube to lean the top of the door inward. Works great. I'll find the pix and post 'em...
Old August 17th, 2010, 07:44 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Do you have the plastic sleeves on the studs? If not, loosen the bolts and you should have a good bit of adjustment. If not, stick your knee in the door (top part right below the door top where there is steel) and pull inwards. All it will do is bend the studs to tighten the top up.
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2010, 08:07 PM
SeattleRRC
Woody
1990 RRC SWB, 1994 D90 ST

No plastic sleeves - I will have at it with knee-to-the-door technique.

Update: The bending worked great. I think it fixed about 75% of the gap. I was afraid I'd break something if I bent them in much further. Mike, I'd still like to see what you're referring to with the zip ties.
Old August 17th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Grover
Mike

Registry
Thumbs up Zip Tie Trick

I slipped two zip ties (one on top of the other) into the entire length of the door seal outer bump (for lack of a better word...) This gives a firm surface to act against the outer door top edge. Works great with no leaks.
FWIW, I recommend SS door top studs and coat the inside of the bores with antiseize for good measure.

Good luck...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC05126_resized.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	30207   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	30208  

Name:	DSC05129_resized.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	30209  
Old August 17th, 2010, 09:36 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

On a side note, have you guys noticed that the galvanized gutters dump rain out of their ends? My truck leaks worse with the gutter kit than before. The rain pours down the front edge of the door and onto my dash, down my bulkhead (!!), and down onto the floorboard. I'm thinking that maybe I need to make some plugs out of RTV in the ends of the gutters to keep the water from pouring out there.
Old August 17th, 2010, 09:45 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRRC View Post
No plastic sleeves - I will have at it with knee-to-the-door technique.

Update: The bending worked great. I think it fixed about 75% of the gap. I was afraid I'd break something if I bent them in much further. Mike, I'd still like to see what you're referring to with the zip ties.
If you loosen them a bit, you can probably get the last 25% as you do not have the sleeves. Frankly, sleeves are a mixed bag, in some ways they make them more stable and better fitting but they do sieze in the holes.
Old August 17th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Grover
Mike

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
On a side note, have you guys noticed that the galvanized gutters dump rain out of their ends? My truck leaks worse with the gutter kit than before. The rain pours down the front edge of the door and onto my dash, down my bulkhead (!!), and down onto the floorboard. I'm thinking that maybe I need to make some plugs out of RTV in the ends of the gutters to keep the water from pouring out there.
Use window puddy. It stays pliable (if you ever need to remove or adjust the drain channels) and it seals well. Since I installed the drain channels, I have no leaks what so ever around the door tops. Pure nirvana...

Cheers...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door, door tops