Bench seat or Jump seats? Poll - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 11th, 2008, 09:57 AM
limeport
Chuck Burrows
94 D-90 #230

Bench seat or Jump seats? Poll

Which do you prefer and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Jump seats are nice because they carry more people and fold up out of the way, leaving the entire floor open, but the bench is more comfortable for passengers, and allows the use of a child seat.
Old December 11th, 2008, 10:47 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

I have both and am indifferent.
Fact is, neither are very good from a safety, comfort or practicality standpoint.

I'm not on the daddy track so in truth I do not know; but what puzzles me are D90 owners who try and convince themselves that either seat is a viable option for transporting children.

If there was ever an arguement supporting buying a 110, that would be it, IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2008, 10:56 AM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

I've had both. The jump-seats are "trendy," but they offer little comfort or reliability - the base is reinforced particle board. The bench offers more utility and space than the jump-seats. It [the bench] also provides a little more comfort and limits your carrying capacity by two, which is not a bad thing in my opinion. Moreover, it's both retractable and removable. These two features, and the additional space you get from removing the jump seats, are the salient reasons to install the bench.
Old December 11th, 2008, 10:57 AM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

I think its based on your lifestyle and planned use. If you have or plan on having children in the truck then you absolutely need a bench and preferably REAR-facing bench (see link http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html)

Even for adults the side seats are not safe very safe, primarily because of the restraints or relative lack of them. If it for you and wife/girlfriend/boyfriend and occasional friends then side-folders are fine for traveling low speeds, ie. trails, around the city, etc. Although I still think bench is better. If you are traveling anything over 20-30 MPH side seats are ineffective as most accidents will be offset-frontal where combined speeds are going to be in excess of 40-50 MPH (a lot of energy).

Bench can be made to remove fairly easily for occasional large loads which can be planned. If bench is in place it can be folded and loadspace still utilized including the sides.

I am working on a bench installation right behind the front seats facing rearward with belt harness for kids mostly but can fit adults. It can fit 3 smallish children, ie 10 year olds. The bench can easily fold down creating a little platform to put stuff from the front. It is also easy to remove if needed. This also leaves large space in the back for additional cargo.

Other options are the Exmoor seats that fold and have integrated belts. Very pric$ey and look clumsy and block rear view.

Some of this is personal taste but we should remember these trucks are not setup for safety first and lack much of the mechanisms in our other vehicles. This makes it even more important to maximize what we can, ie seats, belts, etc.
Old December 11th, 2008, 11:10 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

None, I pulled my jump seats out of my 110, they are worthless. Of course for that matter the rear seat in a 110 is worthless. I would like to build and integrated rear cargo box with roll out drawer with two bucket seats for comfort and safety.
Old December 11th, 2008, 12:54 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Forward facing bench by far.
-Wheel wells are useful storage spaces
-Jump seats not easily removable
-4 people fit in back very poorly
-Rarely carry 4 in back anyway (and would never _want_ to)
-Facing inward reminds me of riding around in the back of a 5-ton

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old December 11th, 2008, 01:55 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

I am with Jim and John on this one. John thanks for the link. I am on the daddy track or soon to be. I use the bench seat and like the versatility of removing it when using the fast back top or folding it forward. I also installed seat heaters in the bench seat. I will move it forward when kids are on the way. Also purchased a front center seat and plan to use Mud U.K. seat rails (to move the center seat back in order to provide more room for the child seat in the middle during the first few months, then move to car seat to the rear bench.
Old December 11th, 2008, 01:57 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

The bench seat is a real pain to get passengers into. I'm young and it's still a pain even with the backrest folded down.
Old December 11th, 2008, 03:17 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Biggest issue with the bench is when you take it out there are two big metal stakes that interfere with carrying cargo.

Ron
Old December 11th, 2008, 03:29 PM
AGS
Geoffrey Souter
NAS 110

I own a 95 Wagon and had the jump seats removed and had a bench installed with three point belts. I have two small children and despite the thoughts relayed via prior post about safety, I still think it is a better alternative for child and booster seats. Agree that tossing the kids over the back of the seat is a royal pain but while they are small, they are at least light. When the kids get bigger, I may swap back out to the jump seats.
Old December 11th, 2008, 03:39 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Geoffrey,

Can you post a picture of that? I have been considering doing this to my SW, but I do not want to eliminate the bench seat out of my ST.

Thanks,

Scott

Old December 11th, 2008, 04:08 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikojo
I think its based on your lifestyle and planned use. If you have or plan on having children in the truck then you absolutely need a bench and preferably REAR-facing bench (see link http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html)

Even for adults the side seats are not safe very safe, primarily because of the restraints or relative lack of them. If it for you and wife/girlfriend/boyfriend and occasional friends then side-folders are fine for traveling low speeds, ie. trails, around the city, etc. Although I still think bench is better. If you are traveling anything over 20-30 MPH side seats are ineffective as most accidents will be offset-frontal where combined speeds are going to be in excess of 40-50 MPH (a lot of energy).

Bench can be made to remove fairly easily for occasional large loads which can be planned. If bench is in place it can be folded and loadspace still utilized including the sides.

I am working on a bench installation right behind the front seats facing rearward with belt harness for kids mostly but can fit adults. It can fit 3 smallish children, ie 10 year olds. The bench can easily fold down creating a little platform to put stuff from the front. It is also easy to remove if needed. This also leaves large space in the back for additional cargo.

Other options are the Exmoor seats that fold and have integrated belts. Very pric$ey and look clumsy and block rear view.

Some of this is personal taste but we should remember these trucks are not setup for safety first and lack much of the mechanisms in our other vehicles. This makes it even more important to maximize what we can, ie seats, belts, etc.
Please let me know more about the rearward facing bench you are working on. I have been thinking about this exact project for next year. I have 3 kids and would love to have the whole family be able to ride in the 90. Not to mention all the safety reasons you did already.

I was looking into getting a 3rd row bench from a Suburban that has the integrated seatbelts. I took the ones out of our '07 Yukon XL and put them in the back of the 90 facing backward. I really think they could work after getting rid of the heavy and combersome attachment gear. I would use the stock mounts and fabricate a frame to mount the seats. I was also thinking one step further and making a sliding (maybe something from Tuffy) toolbox for underneath.

Another small benefit I see with a ST is with the top off, the rear seatbelts get slapped all around from the wind. Besides being very annoying I noticed the rear seatbelts already frayed.
Old December 11th, 2008, 04:09 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I have the bench seat in the back of my SW from ST conversion, and I've ended up using the 2-point belts from the jump seats along with the y-piece from the jump seat. You have to come up with something to attach the upper mount to the roof somehow, and I didn't like my original solution, so I just went with the 2-point belts.

Old December 11th, 2008, 04:31 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"You have to come up with something to attach the upper mount to the roof somehow"

There is an attachment on the POEs for this. See ECR's website. Mike did not believe me that they existed as he fabricated some, but Yeastie had them (Dan may be able to get pics).
Old December 11th, 2008, 04:45 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
How right you are Ron, the rear seat belts on the 94 attached to a set of brackets bolted to the fenderwell, right next to the back corner where the cage goes through the body. On a 95, this mount was integrated into the cage. I actually used the mounts from yeastie to install the 3-point belts in the hardtop, and I think thats what LR did too when necessary. Ultimately, I didn't like the apparent (lack of) strength in the design, so I just went with the 2-point belts, which, given the kludged nature of the other solution, probably aren't any worse, maybe better.

The other issue was that the rear window trims would interfere with the seat belts.

Old December 11th, 2008, 07:47 PM
limeport
Chuck Burrows
94 D-90 #230

Were all D-90 ST bench seats the same fabric? Or did the 1994 come in car denim , and did the 1995-97 come in twill vinyl?? Do they all look similar?
Old December 11th, 2008, 08:40 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
All soft tops had the car denim (grey on black), it was just the station wagons that had the twill vinyl (grey on grey) - so all bench seats should look the same, except for the few leather ones floating around from 94.

Old December 11th, 2008, 10:19 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

If you have a SW there are seat belt mounting brackets that bolts up in the rear corner near the roof line for the third point of a three point. I find it ugly and not very functional as it places the shouler strap too high even for adults. This is true even in the SW.

Here are some pics of what I am trying to put together.

The bench will fit between the fender wells at 36" (fender well are 36.5" apart -- can someone confirm??)

The seat belts ALL mount to the floor. Would like to possibly use existing bolt mounts from seat belts for front seats near center console and other possible existing bolts that bolt the cage tube to the floor. If not can easily just drill and place either large fender washers or other spanner type plate.

The advantage of these belts is they don't require and roof or side attachments and you have a 4-point harness. These are easy to get into and out of similar to regular auto belts (nothing fancy like the racing style).

The bench mount onto a great rail system that is almost flat. There are 4 almost flat plates that bolt to the floor. There are 4 handled bolts that screw a clamping bracket to the flat plates securing the bench seat. Very strong and easy to remove bench. When bench is out the floor has no brackets sticking out of the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bench.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	16834   Click image for larger version

Name:	4harness.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	16835  

Attached Images

Old December 12th, 2008, 10:05 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
All soft tops had the car denim (grey on black), it was just the station wagons that had the twill vinyl (grey on grey) - so all bench seats should look the same, except for the few leather ones floating around from 94.
Are you referring to just 94's?

(The bench in 97's is vinyl.)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bench, jump seat, seats