belt changing tips
keywords: fan belt, power steering belt, belts
Just changed the three belts (no A/C) on my 3.9 V8 94 NAS D90. Thought I'd offer some tips for anyone else:
1) The fan and alternator belt come off relatively easily, just a matter of adjusting an idler pulley and alternator belt tensioner, respectively.
2) The PITA is the power steering pump belt. Loosening (7) and (10) allows the pump and bracket to rotate along (11) and release the tension. However, the movement seems very limited.
3) Some have removed the pulley (2) altogether. I went the route of loosening some ancillary alternator brackets. This seems to give a little more wiggle room.
4) Remove the grill frame, radiator mounting hardware and top radiator hose. Pivot the radiator on the passenger side so it opens like a door. Gives you much better access to all the belts.
5) To tension the steering pump assembly after putting a new belt on, you can wrap a flat belt around it and pull it up as you tighten 10.