being lazy - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 25th, 2008, 10:55 AM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

Red face being lazy

Anyone know what diameter the inlet is on the mass air flow sensor is?? I would like to take the trumpet and drum off and run a straight k&n cone filter. I'm really just to lazy to take mine off and measure it. If not I guess I'll brave the cold and pop the thing off. Thanks
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

I have one layinng in a box at the shop. When I get there I will measure it for you. It is supposed to be 79 degrees here today - spring has arrived
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:32 AM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

Lucky SOB. I guess I shouldn't complain, we haven't had much winter on the Island. Today is about 35-40. Not to bad but certainly not 79! Thanks Chris I appreciate it.
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Inlet is 3.375" (that attachs to the air filter) on a '95 D90 MAF (actually I think it's the same for RR and Disco also). Outlet is approx 3.125".
Old February 25th, 2008, 08:37 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

Chris,
thanks so much for aiding my laziness! So if I'm reading this correctly, THIS should fit directly on to the MAF omitting the trumpet and box. Correct?
Old February 26th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

It looks like the one I started to buy, but I found one shorter and less expensive in the mix. But that should work.
Old February 26th, 2008, 08:04 AM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

awesome! thanks again for your help!
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

do not over oil or you will have problems! you might anyway. mafs don't like oil
Old February 28th, 2008, 09:21 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Jonathan - is the RP-5118 the one you are getting? If so, please let me know how it fits. I'm thinking of doing the same to my truck.

And when is it going to warm up around here?! Getting a Borla delivered tomorrow and would like to install but the garage is definitely not heated.
Old February 29th, 2008, 07:16 AM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

Don, I ordered the rp-5118. Should be here next week sometime. Seemed to me the bigger the better. There are a couple of other models on k&n's website that list a 3.375 flange diameter but they're smaller and wider. Not sure if it makes much of a difference. I'll report back on the install. On a side note, you need to get a propoane heater for your garage like this one. I have it and it's definately awesome. I let it run for like 15 mins and you can walk around in a t-shirt. I got one from the true value that I work at. Cost like 140 bucks. Took the extra tank for the barbecue and I'm sweating in the shop now.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 03:38 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

the install went flawlessly. Removed the factory breather box and just had to notch the the rubber flange on the K&N to accommodate the notch on the MAF. I have to devise some sort of bracket to secure the MAF and filter to the bracket that used to hold the factory breather box. The cable ties I have holding it down now really isn't cutting it as far as looks go. The difference in performance is noticeable and the difference in the sound is probably too much for most people. especially with borla exhaust and y pipes I'll try to post some pics later tonite or this weekend.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 04:14 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Sweet! Any negative effects?
Old April 3rd, 2008, 05:50 PM
LB Defender
Eric Beth
94 Defender 90

Not too bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOD77
Lucky SOB. I guess I shouldn't complain, we haven't had much winter on the Island. Today is about 35-40. Not to bad but certainly not 79! Thanks Chris I appreciate it.
It's at least 1 degree warmer here on the south shore in Long Beach. But lets discount the fact that the heater breaker blows every time I turn it on and the windows won't come anywhere near sealing.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 07:03 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

It would be interesting to hear what the pros who make a living building Defenders think of open element filters vs the factory air box unit.

Does anyone know if they actually increase airflow over that of the stock unit in the stifling-hot-behind-the-engine factory application? If so, does it really make a difference in an otherwise stock 3.9/4.0 engine?

It appears that even the sweet, extensively modified, 340 HP 5.2 litre B.R.Green/Tan '97 ST on ECR Mikes site -Project 108- still utilizes a stock air cleaner assembly...

(Granted, that may have something to do with the owners intended usage of the truck....)
Old April 4th, 2008, 08:37 AM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

Ade, as of right now, I can't see any negative effects. I do have ceramic coated manifolds so the engine bay is certainly cooler than stock. But really I can't see any negatives. It's raining like a bitch here today so we'll see about that. I was concerned about water intake but it really seems high enough and protected enough. so I guess it's all for the better!
Old April 4th, 2008, 09:28 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOD77
Don, I ordered the rp-5118. Should be here next week sometime. Seemed to me the bigger the better. There are a couple of other models on k&n's website that list a 3.375 flange diameter but they're smaller and wider. Not sure if it makes much of a difference. I'll report back on the install. On a side note, you need to get a propoane heater for your garage like this one. I have it and it's definately awesome. I let it run for like 15 mins and you can walk around in a t-shirt. I got one from the true value that I work at. Cost like 140 bucks. Took the extra tank for the barbecue and I'm sweating in the shop now.
Hey Jonathan,

Be careful using that heater in an enclosed space like a garage. Don't forget it is a combustion product, and combustion uses oxygen and produces CO and CO2. That heater is rated for outdoor use only, which means that it lacks safety shutoffs for low oxygen concentration, and probably puts off too much CO to be safe in an enclosed space.

But if you want heat from a fuel source in your garage, you should consider something like this or this instead (depending upon how many BTU's you need), that is rated for indoor use and has the safeguards to make sure your family doesn't find you 'asleep' on the garage floor...

Generally they are a little pricier than the style you have linked, but I found both of these on Amazon for less than you paid for yours. ($69, an $129 respectively)

Follow-up Post:

By the way, Amazon has the heater you linked for $82.00...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 4th, 2008, 09:40 AM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepeytr
Hey Jonathan,

By the way, Amazon has the heater you linked for $82.00...
GE THANKS THAT MAKES ME FEEL GOOD. nothing like getting ripped off. but there is something to be said supporting your local bricks and mortar establishments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepeytr
Be careful using that heater in an enclosed space like a garage. Don't forget it is a combustion product, and combustion uses oxygen and produces CO and CO2. That heater is rated for outdoor use only, which means that it lacks safety shutoffs for low oxygen concentration, and probably puts off too much CO to be safe in an enclosed space.

But if you want heat from a fuel source in your garage, you should consider something like this or this instead (depending upon how many BTU's you need), that is rated for indoor use and has the safeguards to make sure your family doesn't find you 'asleep' on the garage floor...

Generally they are a little pricier than the style you have linked, but I found both of these on Amazon for less than you paid for yours. ($69, an $129 respectively)
Gee and I thought I was getting tired because I was working too hard!!

Yes I am aware of the dangers of CO2/CO. I am a smoker and always do so outside so let's just say the garage door is opened every 45mins minimum. Sometimes when the wife come out she'll mentiion that it smells "propanie" and crack the door but I/she have never felt heady or anything like that. I'll have to look into those alternatives you listed, Thanks!!
Old April 4th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtracer
do not over oil or you will have problems! you might anyway. mafs don't like oil
I am interested to hear more on this. I have run a K&N on my 90 for abour 6 years now, and never had a problem. I put an intake and a K&N on my wife's Beetle and could tell a huge difference. But, the check engine light keeps popping on and the dealer is telling me it is due to the MAF not liking the wet filter. I added an intake and a dry hi-flo filter to my '07 Wrangler and love it. Any reason why the wet is better?
Old April 27th, 2008, 11:04 PM
JBOD77
Jonathan
1995 D90 ST Beluga Black

Exclamation Update

So, after driving with this upgrade for a little while now, I can see no real downside. I know I may or may not have wet filter issues down the road, especially after I re-oil the filter, but right now it's great. Increase pick-up, decreased engine braking, throaty sound. I love it. The only real issue I could see would be the sound, I know some of you don't prefer the loud, in-your-face, Borla exhaust and this only heightens the noise. The install is mindless, and in my opinion it's really one of the best upgrades I've done. Attached are some pics so all can see. I threw one in there of the truck just for fun!

Behold:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01170 (Custom).JPG
Views:	83
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	13109   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01171 (Custom).JPG
Views:	78
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	13110  

Name:	DSC01172 (Custom).JPG
Views:	82
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	13111   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01173 (Custom).JPG
Views:	85
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	13112  

Name:	DSC01174 (Custom).JPG
Views:	75
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	13113   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01175 (Custom).JPG
Views:	93
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	13114  

Name:	DSC01176 (Custom).JPG
Views:	79
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	13115  
Old April 27th, 2008, 11:07 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Very nice! Does your check engine light come on at all?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions