bedliner/ linex etc on a tub? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 26th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

bedliner/ linex etc on a tub?

So what is the consensus on coating the underneath of a tub with linex or rihno lining etc...?

To me it makes sense to do this after paint or primer to both seal it more and to act as sound deadening etc...

I was thinking of doing it after primer then having the body color painted over it. My only concern is rock chips on it later and the body paint coming off.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 26th, 2010, 11:42 PM
MERLEANDSARAH
MERLE/STEPHEY
1984 DEFENDER 110

I line-xed the bed of my 2001 Tundra when I bought it new. 10 years and 160,000 miles later it has held up great. It has been a well abused work truck. I have built two houses and remodeled four other with it and hauled over 500 yards of 5/8-gravel. I would do it again in a heart beat.
Old September 27th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

when i had my rear tub line-x'd they told me that if you sprayed the line-x with acetone it would open the pores in the line-x and allow it to receive a colour, for about 30 seconds until it closed up again.

the colour would then be perminent, i seen a few test pieces they had done I it looked ok.

i would have it again on the next truck.

Gren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Cool. Thanks for the responses. So Gren did you line the bottom side or the top side of the tub? I am thinking about lining the underneath and dynamat on the topside or the inside of the truck.

Interesting about the acetone. 30 seconds is not much time to shoot though.
Old September 27th, 2010, 01:34 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I do the underside of my seatboxes and floorboards. At the very least it keeps the occasional rock from making a loud bang on the bottom. I've never done the bottom of a tub, but I've done the inside of a set of soft-top doors. It does help attenuate vibration to an extent, but I'm not sure its very significant.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 27th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Hey Jim-

Yeah that was my thought about the rocks etc..... I figure anything I can do to help with vibration and the lack of dense feel to a rover would help.

Thanks
Old September 27th, 2010, 01:53 PM
16kpsi
Tony Lawson
1986 D110 ex-200tdi to be 6BT

Rhinoline can do color match now (depending on the shop) - We use color matched on some areas of the floatation we use subsea. So no overcoating required.
Old September 27th, 2010, 03:54 PM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

I have done the complete inside on my truck including the battery box (inside / out) and floorboards (inside/out).

It helps kill the vibration and keep some of the heat from coming up through the floorboards.
Old September 27th, 2010, 07:05 PM
waggoner5
Gary Waggoner
1965 custom

I did my complete underneath. Bed and cab and have done this before on other custom builds and will do it everytime for corrosion and noise reduction.

Old September 27th, 2010, 10:04 PM
roverx
Scott Preston
1969 Ser IIA Tdi Hybrid

Smile bed lining

For what it's worth. I have done a spray on lining two different rovers and it makes a huge difference in sound dampening and overall body noise. Seatbox, floors and complete inside of the tub. I have not done the underside as it adds a tone of weight and never seemed to be necessary to me. Anyway it was the best money you can spend on an upgrade.

I have done both Rhino Liner and Line-X and Line-X is the winner hands down. Although Rhino can color match they can't adjust the spray gun head much so it looks like my 10 year did the job. Line-X spray guns are fully adjustable and can spray glass smooth to rub your knees raw. It also have a very clean professional finish. The last jog is 8 years old and zero issues. You can paint over Line-X but I'm a fan of plain old grey. Black look cool and seams great at first but ends up becoming a black hole. Can't tell you how much time I spent at night looking for something in the rear tub when it was black.

All of this is IMHO of course and best of luck with what ever you choose.

Cheers
Scott
2003 VW Jetta wagon 1.9 Tdi 5 speed
1995 Range Rover Classic 300 Tdi SoftDash (My Son's)

"Be the person your dog thinks you are"
Old September 27th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Cool. Thanks for the ides. Looks like I should do it. However I did call a rhino line shop today and they said they do not tint anymore. But it sounds like line-x is better anyway.
Old September 27th, 2010, 10:30 PM
SeattleRRC
Woody
1990 RRC SWB, 1994 D90 ST

Line-X/Rhino liner the under carriage instead of Waxoyl?
Does it trap water?
Does it keep the rust out?
What are the drawbacks?
I plan to do something to rust-proof my chassis this fall, following this thread with interest.
Old September 27th, 2010, 11:48 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
No, Line-X will never be a substitute as an all-over coating instead of waxoyl or good paint. To do the underside of anything the parts need to be disassembled and carefull taped & masked.

With respect to holding rust at bay, I think you'll get good results on the underside of a seatbox since the line-x seals up all the seams and makes basically a continuous surface. That isnt to say that water won't get in some other way and cause rust, but I think its an improvement for sure.

Oh, I've used four different brands and Line-X is definitely the best.

Old September 28th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi tyler i've done the tub bulkhead back in line-x pics on my 300tdi build thread, i have just found out about the drawback of the black colour.
2 nights ago i had an impact socket rolling around in the tub, ended up groping around like stevie wonder in a nudist camp trying to find it ... i left it till the morning in the end.

regards all
Old September 28th, 2010, 01:01 PM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97-D90-736 View Post
I have done the complete inside on my truck including the battery box (inside / out) and floorboards (inside/out).

It helps kill the vibration and keep some of the heat from coming up through the floorboards.

Do you have any pics of how this looks completed? Also, did you take everything apart and spray or how did you do it exactly? I'd like to do this but have some concerns as to how it looks and being able to access in the future.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions