Bed Liner - Who Has Experience? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 12th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Bed Liner - Who Has Experience?

I am planning to coat the middle row floor panel and bulkhead between the middle row and the seat box with bed liner, but I'm not sure what is the best to use. I know there are several out there and I was wondering if anyone had first-hand experience with any of them.

Ideally I'd like something that comes in spray cans so I can spray the floor and bulkhead out of the car. I would also like to be able to brush it on because I'd like to coat a few inches of the rear floor where it is visible under the middle row seats. The cargo area is covered in a Rubber Mat, so there is only about 8" or so that is visible and I'd rather not spray in the confined truck and have to mask everything. If there is one that also comes in a can and can be brushed on, that would be ideal.
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2013, 07:26 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

dupli-color has a spray can bedliner that they also offer in quart cans for roll on. Used it my dad's ford ranger bed about 15 years ago and aside from touch ups it's still hanging in there.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old November 12th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I'll check it out. I may have used that one before actually. I just tried the Rust-Oleum version and it was terrible. I tried spraying a piece of scrap to test it and there was almost no coverage, no build-up, it was like I was spraying on sand paper. It was more of a Spray-On Non-Skid than a true Bed-Liner.
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2013, 09:50 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

We used the quart cans mainly and sprayed it on with a gun and compressor. Used I think a 2.0 tip got a good heavy texture out of it. The kit they sell if I remember had a roller for it that left a good texture as well.

The spray cans we used for touch up had less texture.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old November 12th, 2013, 10:40 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede View Post
I'll check it out. I may have used that one before actually. I just tried the Rust-Oleum version and it was terrible. I tried spraying a piece of scrap to test it and there was almost no coverage, no build-up, it was like I was spraying on sand paper. It was more of a Spray-On Non-Skid than a true Bed-Liner.
Rustoleum is awful. You might as well use black rattlecan.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 12th, 2013, 10:47 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Rustoleum is awful. You might as well use black rattlecan.
I'm using Rustoleum bedliner on my Rollbar, rear crossmember, front bumper and my mirror arms. It's fairly tough and I like the "nonskid" texture. I'll probably go with a roll on liner or Line-X for the actual bed and the rock sliders.
Old November 12th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

I have used many DIY bed liners and they all suck! The best one I have used is Monsta Liner, it is a base and catalyst so it is a lot stronger then the typical liner. If you can find a local super liner installer I would recommend that, you have to be a dealer to buy it bit if you find a dealer near you they will usually sell it to you. Rhino is the best for your money dampening wise but will run you a grand or more to have it sprayed. Invest in a spray gun makes installation and prep way easier! You get what you pay for cheap is not always the best way to go when you have to replace it in six months bc it's peeling.
Old July 7th, 2017, 12:48 PM
BryGuy
Bryan
None

I know this an old thread, but l figured l'd add my 2 cents. I was searching for bedliner threads because l'm considering bedlining the rear floor, seat ledge up to the hard top.

About 4 years ago l used Raptor Liner for the whole interior of my Jeep. I purchased to kits of the liner and a gun to spray it on. Prep was light sanding and cleaning the grit off and using a degreaser. It looks as good now as the day l put it on. I had enough product to apply 2 full coats, a 3rd coat in high use areas and a 4th coat for problem areas/touch up.

It was pretty easy to do, but the most important/hard part is the prep work.... Masking areas off, protecting bolt holes, making sure its really clean for good adhession.

I can't stress how important it is to mask off everything, as l had a few overspray issues that might of been avoided if l took more time.... And l spent a long time to begin with.

I'd use this product again, but l'm hesitant because l'm not able to remove the hardtop myself. I might use a roll on application or seek out a line-x dealer to do it for me.

If anyone knows a good reliable dealer in the Toronto area let me know.
Old July 7th, 2017, 01:02 PM
littlehandegan
Jack
68 Series 2a

Raptor Liner is really the only DIY that looks great, or consider Monsta Liner
Old July 7th, 2017, 02:02 PM
Factoid
Mark
Three criminals seeking revenge

Registry
Duplicolor makes a kit with a two part (epoxy) bedliner that you mix prior to application. It comes with a brush and roller, but you will have to figure out the sprayer. It is the best of the half dozen or so brands I have tried, including the "regular" Duplicolor that is horrible.
1975 Porsche 911 hot rod
1964 Porsche (Beck) 904
Old July 7th, 2017, 06:25 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
It's difficult to beat high temperature, high pressure catalyzed polyurea coatings like Line-X.

The combination of application pressure, high temperature, and catalyzed chemistry makes it nearly invulnerable.

The only product I ever tried was rustoleum truck bed liner and the outcome was a bed liner that wouldn't cure and was very easy to scratch straight through to bare metal.
Old July 7th, 2017, 07:30 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I keep meaning to take my M416 that I did a DIY job on to linex. But I might sell it.
Old July 7th, 2017, 08:02 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
It's difficult to beat high temperature, high pressure catalyzed polyurea coatings like Line-X.

The combination of application pressure, high temperature, and catalyzed chemistry makes it nearly invulnerable.

The only product I ever tried was rustoleum truck bed liner and the outcome was a bed liner that wouldn't cure and was very easy to scratch straight through to bare metal.
This. Never had a positive experience with any of the low temp/low pressure offerings, and I've tried a whole lot of them. Seems like you either get good adhesion but a soft, gummy feeling finish, or a finish that feels hard and durable initially but ends up being brittle and prone to chipping or cracking.

-Ash

352-572-3236

Old July 8th, 2017, 10:47 AM
ATX_D110
Victor
1985 RHD D110 (SOLD)

[QUOTE="Brewie212;482542"]I have used many DIY bed liners and they all suck! The best one I have used is Monsta Liner, it is a base and catalyst so it is a lot stronger then the typical liner.

I 2nd Monsta Liner - I have an extra gallon of Black along with the Catalyst if interested
Old July 8th, 2017, 10:51 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
x4 on Duplicolor....
Old July 8th, 2017, 11:45 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

If you're anywhere near Central New Jersey there's a place called milspray. They do have proprietary Line-X type coating available in any color I have it on my truck inside it out. It's nearly invulnerable but will fade in the sun overtime, they can top coat it with a matching paint just like Line-X. Blast Booth there's about 80 feet long as they normally spray tanks and armored personnel carriers.
Old July 8th, 2017, 12:15 PM
TheOneTen
Eric Wages
1988 D110 300tdi/R380

Registry
I did this with Raptor U-pol. It's a two part system that goes on with a spray gun in ranges of 40-50psi depending on what texture you want.

Awesome quality. Prep is key. You need to clean, scuff, and degrease the surface before shooting the product (which has a 1-hour mixed working time).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions