Bay Area mechanics - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 16th, 2013, 07:03 PM
melittle
Mark Little
1987 Land Rover 110

Bay Area mechanics

Has anyone in the SF Bay Area taken their truck to Roverland in SF? Read good reviews of them on Yelp but they wont answer the phone or return voicemails. Any consensus on the best place in the area for service?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2013, 07:33 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
I know Cerrone's European in Redwood City is highly regarded... they also support NCLR and run the Land Rover Repair Forum. They are Defender enthusiasts themselves.

I have only heard good things about them.
Old January 16th, 2013, 09:04 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

Depends on where you are and what you need? What kind of truck? Older RRC's, disco's, defenders, and series can be done at west coast British in Livermore. The owner Mike can be a peach but the work gets done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 17th, 2013, 12:08 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

I second the West Coast British recommendation. I went out there with some little problems and Mike is great. He actually told me what the problem was, let me borrow a tool I didn't have and let me fix my 110 in his driveway. He knows his shit and he is a great guy. I spent two hours out there just talking with him about rovers. Its worth the drive!
Old January 17th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Hondo
Randall Reiten
1994 Defender 90

Registry
I've taken my D-90 there since 1998. I probably wouldn't still be driving it if it weren't for Jennifer and Phillipe. Keep callinng them. They know their stuff and are very reasonable. Be patient.
Old February 19th, 2013, 06:59 PM
melittle
Mark Little
1987 Land Rover 110

I give up

I've given up on Roverland. No one EVER answers the phone. Left multiple messages. I even stopped by the shop one day when I was close. Philippe wasn't there so I left my information and a description of what I wanted done. Never got a call, 2 more tries with no answer. Forget it.
Also tried West Coast British but was really turned off by the response I got: basically it's a stupid idea to change transfer boxes because I didn't have the power to pull the bigger gear. Mind you, this is a 200tdi from a Discovery going into a 1.67 transfer case. From everything I've read, a 1.4 transfer case is no problem.
Cerrones European was very helpful and responsive, but quoted me $3500 to install a rebuilt transfer case. This included $2000 for parts and $200 shipping.
I'm about to either resign myself to the fact that I'll never go over 55 on the freeway or buy the part myself and take it to the mechanic I use for my other cars. It's not rocket science, any reason a LR expert needs to do the work?
Advice needed, please...

Thanks
Old February 19th, 2013, 08:03 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by melittle View Post
any reason a LR expert needs to do the work?
Advice needed, please...

Thanks
If you are buying the parts I would think any decent shop could replace the tcase, does not need to be a LR expert by any means. There are tricks and things that a LR shop learn over the years that save them time or help diagnose an issue easier but a straight t case swap should be pretty straigh forward.

Make sure they check the output shaft on your trans and replace the seal between the trans and t case.

You could always do it yourself or bribe a few locals with free food / beverages, should be able to do it in a day if you have all of the parts on hand.
Old February 19th, 2013, 09:56 PM
melittle
Mark Little
1987 Land Rover 110

Thanks for the help guys. Jeff, the concept of weekend is foreign to me right now. I have two young kids involved in multiple sports and my job requires me to travel out of town at least every other sunday. I appreciate the offer though and I would love to do this myself with some help. That was one of the reasons I bought the truck, to be able to work on it myself. Unfortunately, finding time to do anything on it is a challenge. Anyway, I'm going to get a rebuilt t-case and see if I can hand it off to a local shop for a reasonable amount of labor. If this doesn't work out I'll see if I can work out a trip up to Auburn. Thanks again.

Mark
Old February 19th, 2013, 10:25 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis

Hey Mark don't give up on West Coast British just yet. Mike can be rough and gave me the same BS when I went from a 2.5TD with a 1.6 to a 200tdi and 1.4 but with some sweet talk it got done (he did the T case). It's not hard and now I feel like I can do it. I have everything except the tranny jack but I'm sure Mike would let me borrow the one he bought to do my job. I work random days but am off 18-20 days a month so we can prob work something out. In summary: I'm happy to help (we have wrenching days at my place for NCLR from time to time) or talk to Mike again (let me know if you are planning this and I can talk to him as well. He just hates changing things unless it's his idea). I'm in Livermore.
Chris
Old February 21st, 2013, 08:49 PM
melittle
Mark Little
1987 Land Rover 110

Thanks Chris. I'll probably give Mike another try. Are you satisfied with the gearing of the 1.4?
Old February 22nd, 2013, 01:49 AM
El Solis
Chris Solis

Yeah I am very happy with the 1.4. I had the 1.6 and with the 200tdi that was too low for the freeway. The 1.2 would be better on the freeway but I like my 3rd and 4th gear up the hills.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions