Battery recomendation - Page 6 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 7th, 2015, 10:49 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Optima D31A. Do it. 900 CCA and 1125 CA. Only get it if you can get a discount on it, though.
I had an Optima battery a few years ago. It wouldn't hold a charge if left sitting for a week or more. Their exchange policy was so rediculous that I just left it at the "authorized" exchange place and drove over to Sears for a replacement. My problem was solved with the Die Hard Platinum. From what I have read the old Optima batteries were made here and worked. The newer ones are made south of the border and no es bueno.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2015, 10:57 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Optima D31A. Do it. 900 CCA and 1125 CA. Only get it if you can get a discount on it, though.
I went through three Optimas in a weekend. Kept checking the electrical system thinking something was wrong. Even took it to the shop to have someone else diagnose it.

Nothing wrong with the electrics. Optima admitted they were having quality control issues and repeatedly replaced them until we found one to hold a charge.
Old February 7th, 2015, 06:02 PM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
I may try the DieHard Advanced Gold - has anyone tried one?
Again after having a Platinum, I may not be convinced its worth it.

D90 Yahoo Group member since 2001
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2015, 06:05 PM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

AGMs in my trucks and 240Z. Used Optima for years but had regular failures. Switched to Duralast from Sam's Club and have been very happy and they're less money.
Old February 7th, 2015, 06:13 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

I had a LR original Varta in a D3 that went 7.5 years, would have went longer but didn't want a no-start at an inopportune time.

I bring this up because it appears batteries can be hit or miss for the same brand/model as I know plenty of folks who had their factory Vartas replaced under warranty by Rover 1-2 years in from new.

Unless you see an overwhelming consensus that a certain model or brand is failing consistently (like the new Optimas), the majority of us run Diehard Platinums with absolutely no issues. I'd give them another shot.

I just picked up a Duralast Platinum AGM from Vatozone. Great reviews, $50 cheaper than the DHP, same warranty, and covers more models (like the D3, which DHP does not support).

Oh, and it appears Sears and its parent company...er investment group is failing at an alarming rate and speculation is that they may shutter soon. Someone would probably buy and continue the Craftsman and Diehard lines, but something to think about as far as warranties...
Old February 15th, 2015, 02:13 PM
Ben Dutton
Ben Dutton
1988 Land Rover 110

Registry
Hi - it is time to replace the battery on my 1988 110 diesel. Given the lack of electrics etc do I really need to splash out on an expensive battery or would a good standard $100 battery be ok?
Old February 15th, 2015, 02:22 PM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
I have been asking around and have heard a lot of good things about Interstate batteries

Old February 15th, 2015, 02:30 PM
Ben Dutton
Ben Dutton
1988 Land Rover 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
I have been asking around and have heard a lot of good things about Interstate batteries
thanks - are some many options is difficult to know which ones to go for.
Old February 15th, 2015, 02:53 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Interstate is a bit over priced IMO. Walmart and Costco have great warranties. I tend to get 5 years out of them on my daily drivers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 15th, 2015, 02:54 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Checking out the pulse of the interwebs and locals, and it appears Interstate is loosing their reputation. This seems to be a recent change of events...look at the date of reviews. I never use to see this about Interstates, my family swore by them for years. I just changed out a battery and all Interstates here in El Paso have a Mexican origin. Not saying that is what is wrong, but it may correlate to the recent string of negative reviews.
Old February 15th, 2015, 02:59 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dutton View Post
Hi - it is time to replace the battery on my 1988 110 diesel. Given the lack of electrics etc do I really need to splash out on an expensive battery or would a good standard $100 battery be ok?
Absolutely.. they are ALL THE SAME.... many of the different brands are the same things in different boxes.

Some have better quality control.. but you can still get a bad one from the most expensive brands., they are a 150 year old design. It doesn't matter which one you buy.

I frequently find the same exact battery with the same markings with different brand stickers on it for half the price or less.
especially if its an oem or store brand... there are no OEM or store brand battery factories. They are all the same generics.

I guess it's just market forces that made $100 battery a cheap one? I just bought a generic today at auto zone or .. checkers.. or something for $120... my last rover battery (10 years ago) was the same generic for 39.99. 1 more lucas part down...

oh yea.. the difference in lead acid batteries... 2... really... 1 - you can get sealed or not sealed.. and warranty or not warranty. That's where colorful stickers come in.
Old February 15th, 2015, 03:10 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Interstate is a bit over priced IMO. Walmart and Costco have great warranties. I tend to get 5 years out of them on my daily drivers.
Yea.. I just got the same thing from "autozone" (i have no idea which chain it was) and it only carried a 2 year warranty. Costco is a bit farther and I don't go into walmart anymore.. but I paid probably a bit more and got less warranty for the same thing.
I've never owned a car for more than a year.. so I'm not too worried, but if ya can get it.
Old February 18th, 2015, 02:41 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
does anyone know where I can find the date code on a Sears Die Hard Platinum battery?

I can't find my original receipt from 1-2 years ago and want to exchange this one for a new one because it seems tired.
Old February 18th, 2015, 02:46 PM
sloanfiske
Anthony Nelson
97 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
does anyone know where I can find the date code on a Sears Die Hard Platinum battery?

I can't find my original receipt from 1-2 years ago and want to exchange this one for a new one because it seems tired.
You should be in the Sears system.

And are you sure it's not tired because it's crazy cold?
Old February 18th, 2015, 02:54 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloanfiske View Post
You should be in the Sears system.

And are you sure it's not tired because it's crazy cold?
could very well be that (cold), but it still seems down on cranking power.
these things are notorious for giving up the ghost right around the 3-year mark, so regardless it can't hurt to try to squeeze a new one out of them.
Old May 17th, 2015, 07:48 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Looks like my second (replacement) seat die hard battery is giving up (3 hour drive and now won't crank until it's hooked to my jump pack)
It's an AGM battery, I'm on the verge of buying another for a dual setup... Think I'm done with AGM this one lasted a year and a half.. We'll see tomorrow when I have them check it.

Alt puts out 13.45 constant (memory from a few minutes ago).
Never had good luck with optima either

I need a deep cycle for the second battery, think I'll just go conventional flooded type

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old December 28th, 2015, 02:12 PM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
Old thread, but I am going to pick up a DieHard Gold (Group size 34) - has anyone tried one? any feed back re: their experience?

I have a 5yr diehard platinum that doesn't hold a charge, and from my experience I don't think it is worth it to pay up for another one.

For the past year I have been using a hand-me-down used Batt from Jackie Treehorn (Thank you sir!) and now it won't hold a charge anymore either

Old December 28th, 2015, 02:23 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I buy mine at Costco and trade them in about every three years under their crazy good 42 month warranty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 28th, 2015, 04:07 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Old thread, but I am going to pick up a DieHard Gold (Group size 34) - has anyone tried one? any feed back re: their experience?

I have a 5yr diehard platinum that doesn't hold a charge, and from my experience I don't think it is worth it to pay up for another one.

For the past year I have been using a hand-me-down used Batt from Jackie Treehorn (Thank you sir!) and now it won't hold a charge anymore either

If your truck sits a lot you need to have a maintainer on it, otherwise you will have the same problem in a few years.
Old December 28th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Yes a good battery charger is cheaper than a battery and make all the difference in battery life. I think I'm around twelve years on my batteries and they are still going strong.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
battery