Battery recomendation - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 19th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Mpfish82
Mike
'94 AA Yellow D-90 #690

Registry
Deka is an East Penn battery and are excellent batteries. You really can't go wrong with those.

Optima, Interstate, and DieHard batteries are all made by Johnson Controls. Good batteries but way see slightly more warranty issues with these compared to East Penn products. If you are running extra accessories like flood lamps, winch, etc then you may wan to consider the Optima blue top, tons of power as it is originally a marine unit.

Either way I would go with an AGM as they are less maintenance than regular flooded batteries.

Leaving the battery on the floor or concrete an it will kill it is just a myth. This biggest issue with any of these batteries is keeping them correctly charged or you will reduce the battery life substantially. Average shelf life for a flooded battery is approx 6 months before it won't fire up your engine, an AGM will get you maybe 8 months. This is based on a new battery, a marginal or older battery will go dead much quicker. Best way to prevent this is anytime you leave the battery for more than a couple weeks hook it up to a Battery Tender. You can pick one up at Sears/Kmart, O'Reillys Auto, Batteries Plus stores, or online at Amazon.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2012, 12:01 PM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post
Unless you're still buying batteries with wooden and glass cases or rubber cases that's not true.
In other words, any modern battery discharging from being on a concrete floor is a myth.
Pop rocks and soda killed Mikey, though..
Old August 19th, 2012, 01:34 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90
Bill, you can't leave a battery on a concrete floor... it will kill it.

Dave, buy a tender and your battery will remain in excellent shape.
Yep, no matter what the naysayers think, it happens here all the time. Its not nearly as much an issue with a sealed AGM battery, but a conventional battery hell no it's not a myth I don't care who says otherwise. On the floor even sitting them on a 3/4 sheet of plywood helps keep the charge twice as long as sitting on the concrete. Once I charge one, about 4 weeks later it will need to be charged again. Bare floor, might last a week or two. An AGM battery can sit about 4 months on the floor and still have enough charge to start a trick. The AGM in one of my cars is from 2005 and sometimes sits as long as 12 months between starts with no charging- and it starts right up. This is a high compression big block too.
Saying that it's OK to leave them on the floor as long as you keep it charged is funny. Isn't any battery, left anywhere, fine if it keeps it's charge?
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Funny, I just finished double checking my research on batteries as I'm fixn' to put a new battery in my 90 at the same time I hook up my winch. Hopefully in a month. I'm going to use a Sears Platinum PM-2. I was going to use a P-4 but there are reports out there that the side mounts are not reliable. The PM-2 has two mounts on the top and is otherwise the same.

Fall issue of Overland Journal 2010 rated the Sears Platinum P-4 both the "Value Award" and "Editor's Choice". For what that is worth.
Old August 19th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpfish82 View Post
Optima, Interstate, and DieHard batteries are all made by Johnson Controls.
The "norma;" Diehards are. The Diehard Platinum line, however, is made by Enersys and are the rebadged Odysseys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
Yep, no matter what the naysayers think, it happens here all the time.
Wooden case batteries would absorb moisture, swell and break the glass case inside. Rubber cased batteries could become electrically conductive and eventually the battery could discharge. Modern cases don't absorb water. If they are going dead from sitting on concrete it's most likely they are chilled by the concrete heat sink. I can't think of any other scientific explanation.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old August 19th, 2012, 09:24 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post
The "norma;" Diehards are. The Diehard Platinum line, however, is made by Enersys and are the rebadged Odysseys.
So that's a good thing, right?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old August 20th, 2012, 06:16 AM
Mpfish82
Mike
'94 AA Yellow D-90 #690

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist

Wooden case batteries would absorb moisture, swell and break the glass case inside. Rubber cased batteries could become electrically conductive and eventually the battery could discharge. Modern cases don't absorb water. If they are going dead from sitting on concrete it's most likely they are chilled by the concrete heat sink. I can't think of any other scientific explanation.
The Diehard Platinum's are made by JCI as well. Our company deals with Sears and this came directly from the battery buyer this weekend while we were at a corporate event together. Good battery though.
Old August 20th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpfish82 View Post
The Diehard Platinum's are made by JCI as well. Our company deals with Sears and this came directly from the battery buyer this weekend while we were at a corporate event together. Good battery though.
Well, then they've changed suppliers as they were made by Enersys as of just a couple of years ago.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old August 20th, 2012, 09:39 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
JCI makes optima and varta batteries, as well as regular diehard, autozone duralast, Walmart everstart, advance duralast, BJ's Kirkland, interstate, etc. but that does not mean they make every type of battery sold under any of those names.

Noone makes odyssey batteries but enersys, that includes the diehard platinum in question.

Exide and Deka come to mind as other manufacturers independent from the JCI monster.
Old August 20th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
Noone makes odyssey batteries but enersys, that includes the diehard platinum in question.
It's certainly possible Sears has gone to JCI for the Platinum line, but it sounds fishy to me. I've a call in to Enersys to find out for sure.
I called them some years back when certain people were claiming that the Platinums were a different battery than Odyssey, aside from the cases and labels.
For good or bad, I'll post what they tell me.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old August 20th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe

Ok, just got a call back from Enersys. The Platinum is still made by them. All is right with the world.
He did tell me something I wasn't aware of, that the Diehard Gold is made by East Penn.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old August 20th, 2012, 11:49 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I usually just pick the biggest, heaviest no-name sealed battery from Autozone / Pep Boys / Advance / O'Reillys with the terminal arrangement I need and will fit in the space I have.

IMHO, unless you're planning to deep discharge, it's all just lead and sulfuric acid.
Old August 20th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Mpfish82
Mike
'94 AA Yellow D-90 #690

Registry
I stand corrected. Our buyer said all they bought was JCI for the auto lineup. Good to know the Platinum is Enersys because they are typically a better battery than the JCI brands.
Old August 21st, 2012, 05:37 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I'm not crazy about the Enersys support program. I don't want to drag out all the details but I will not be buying anything else they sell. I'm sure they make a fantastic product, but when I get better results, service and life out of something that costs half as much, is widely available and doesn't need (apparently) to be maintained by a very expensive charger (that is sold by Odessey)............makes me feel like I drank the damn cool aid again.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:37 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe

Supposedly all AGM's should have chargers designed for them, but Odyssey isn't the only company that sells them.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old August 22nd, 2012, 08:04 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

They(Enersys) told me in no uncertain terms that I had to use there special charger designed for that specific battery, not just AGM but that specific model no less......to which I call bullshtien.........and if thats the case I'll just opt out. As it is I have a nearly new uninstalled $400 battery that is essentially junk sitting on a shelf as a reminder to myself that all which glitters may not be gold.

I have an excellent battery charger which is supposed to cover most types of battery including AGM and is probably the most used equipment in the shop not counting the bank of battery tenders I need to keep all the customer batteries in charge, remembering that most rigs are here for at least a year.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old August 22nd, 2012, 03:13 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe

I don't know which battery you have, but here's a list of non odyssey chargers that are suitable.
http://www.odysseybattery.com/docume...PT2011_000.pdf

------ Follow up post added August 22nd, 2012 03:16 PM ------

I just happened to see that Sears has their Group 34 Platinum on sale for $164, normally $219.
http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinu...p-02850090000P

Not sure but it may be a 1 day sale.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old August 22nd, 2012, 03:34 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

i have a dead red optima in my drive way it will not keep a charge
Old August 22nd, 2012, 03:48 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
I've been running Napa's Commercial line and have been very happy with them.
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

Old August 22nd, 2012, 04:19 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

I've got a platinum pm1. Just squeezes in there and is awesome

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
battery