Battery question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 28th, 2016, 07:36 PM
K9Phil
Phil
1994 D-90 #1184

Battery question

It's time for a new battery and I've been looking through some of the old battery threads and had a question I was hoping someone could answer. It looks like most go with a group 34 size and the one that's in my truck now is a 27f. Looking at the Interstate website, the dimensions for those two are the same but the weight is very different. 27f weighs 50 lbs, group 34 weighs 36 lbs and has slightly more cca. Anyone know what the difference is between the two? (beside the weight)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2016, 12:16 AM
JASEcrest
Jason
'88 Defender 110

x2

My 'British' battery doesn't have any discernible information for what the 110 is wanting to kick over for me. Looking to swap with US equivalent.
Old March 29th, 2016, 07:44 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Buy batteries by weight not CCA. Heavier=more lead=longer life and deeper discharge. Buy the heaviest battery that will fit the space. Group 27 marine deep cell in either flooded or AGM you can't go wrong. Odyssey, Deka, Trojan, and Surette/Rolls are the brands you should be shopping.
Engine starting batteries are like sprinters...Lots of energy for short bursts but not long winded. Deep cycle is like a marathon runner...pretty even discharge for long periods. The stating batteries have plates with open mesh for a lot of surface area so that there can be a lot of electrons flowing when needed. Deep cycle the plates are almost solid so that the discharge is slower.
You can certainly use a deep cell for engine starting but you shouldn't use a start battery for long periods.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2016, 08:12 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
I'm pretty sure Group Size is related ONLY to the battery's physical size/dimensions. In general, what Bill says above is good advice, and good brands.

I'd add that I regard Reserve Capacity (or RC) much higher than CCAs when shopping a battery. Almost any auto battery will have enough CCA's to start your truck, but Reserve Capacity gives you a window into how long it will take to discharge the battery with a constant 25a draw. Give the accessory loads most of us run, the higher the better..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 29th, 2016, 11:52 AM
K9Phil
Phil
1994 D-90 #1184

Thank you Bill and Scott, good info, very helpful.
Old March 29th, 2016, 03:43 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Phil View Post
Thank you Bill and Scott, good info, very helpful.
Glad it was helpful. You may also want to check out these discussions as well..

Best battery for Defender?

Anyone Using an ODYSSEY PC 2150 in their 90?

Interstate Battery Part Number

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
battery