Battery post clamps - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 2nd, 2016, 04:23 PM
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5
Battery post clamps

What is the latest on multi port battery post clamps? Looking for some suggestions on what's out there, what people have been using.

Wanting to start working on cleaning up the "octopus" under my seat, the positive post is getting crowded, so I will probably incorporate a fuse block for some circuits. Still, there the winch power, amp etc.

Old September 2nd, 2016, 04:39 PM
Robert Davis
I use the quick release snap on and off battery clamps that I bought here on the forum.
Wiring off the (+) battery post is a bad idea.
A better place is the (+) lug on the starter solenoid.
Good luck with this work, Scott.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)
Old September 2nd, 2016, 05:33 PM
Ryan Noonan
1994 D90 NAS #159
Just attacked this very same problem. I have a single battery in the box so there was lots of room on the inboard side to mount a Blue Sea ML-RBS 7700 remote battery switch with manual cutoff.

I have a single 2 AWG cable that runs from the positive terminal to the primary contact. Thats the only thing that comes off my (+) terminal. Off the switched terminal (of the 7700) go my Winch cable, starter cable, remote battery terminal cable, and raw power for my headlights, driving lights, and electric fans. Off the switched terminal (of the 7700) I also have a 4 AWG cable with an inline 120 amp fuse that goes through a 100 amp (normally open) relay into the terminal on a Blue Sea ST Blade Fuse Block with 12 circuits, a negative bus bar, and a cover.

The 100 amp relay is switched by a splice to my cigarette lighter power... therefore, the entire fuse block becomes a switched power supply and only supplies power when ignition is on... ignition power is applied, which closes the 100a relay, and allows the battery to power the fuse block.

All my other relays (fans, lights, CB power) receive power from this fuse block. Since the fuse block has a negative bus bar, all circuits can ground to that, and I only have one 4 AWG tinned cable that runs from the negative bus bar to the negative terminal as well as the cable to my remote battery terminals under the hood.

It took a little figuring initially, but I like how everything is split apart, separately fused, labeled and the actual battery terminals are clutter free. Also, haven't had any problems with a bad ground since I've put it in.

Might be more complicated than you are looking at doing... you can also go the simpler route and just put in a bus bar for your (+) connections.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

battery, lamp