Battery Light/Tachometer Intermittant - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 15th, 2005, 08:41 PM
markurski
Mark Kurzinski
95 D90SW 046/500

Battery Light/Tachometer Intermittant

Hello all. I am the owner of my 1995 D90 SW #046/500 and I have had been having a problem with the battery warning light on the display panel coming on at low idle. At the same time when the light comes on, the tachometer will fluctuate and sometimes reads 0 rpm. The battery light will go out once the rpm's increase but the tachometer continues to fluctuate. I have read on another post that the tachometer receives an alternating current (A/C) signal from the alternator. Is the fluctuation and battery light a sign that the alternator is dying? Maybe the belt is not tight enough? Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Fair winds and following seas...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2005, 08:56 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I think you answered your own question. Try tightning the belt first. If that doesn't work, have the alternator tested at an auto parts store. It think you are on the right path.......
Old August 15th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Either that, or just a bad connection. But without an actual voltmeter on the dash, it's hard to tell for sure.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2005, 12:07 PM
markurski
Mark Kurzinski
95 D90SW 046/500

Smile Problem fixed...

Just thought I would follow up with this for others' benefit. The problem was fixed with a new Alternator. The Alt was not putting out enough voltage, it was around 10.5 V. Easy fix...
Old December 29th, 2005, 05:23 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

I have had the same problem for some time now. Well, the alternator finally went out and I replaced it. The tach problem was fixed with the new alt. as well. But now the alternator is 1 month old and yesterday it all started again however, not nearly as bad as before. So my question is: Is there something else causing the alternator to go bad? I notice it mostly when I have my XM radio on. It will shut off like it was disconected from a power source and the tach stops working. When I restart the engine the whole thing works fine (at least for today). What is up with my electronics, besides the fact that it is British?
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:04 AM
TheBeast
Dane Block
1994 D-90 #1440

Question Battery Light, Alternator & Electrical Drain

I have owned my 94 D-90, "The Beast" as my boys call it for about 8 months now. After reading the threads above I imagine my problem is the Alternator but I want to toss this out and see what y'all thought. I had a dead battery after "The Beast" sat for about a week. No big deal, I jumped it and it ran fine for the weekend. A few days later I had a dead battery again. I jumped it and went down and bought a new battery since the old one was about 8 years old. When I swapped out the old battery it look as if it had boiled over. I had not seen that before. Hmmmmmm..... The new battery was fine until "The Beast" sat for more than 2 days...dead again. I figure I have a drain somewhere so the fix is to drive it every 2 days until I find the drain. It works.... Driving the other day I get a Battery Light and the Tachometer drops to zero (never had that before). Now here is the interesting part. When I start the motor the Battery light stays on and the Tach stays at zero. The Tach comes alive at 2000-2200 RPM and the Battery light goes out at approx 2500 rpm. When the motor slows back down the Battery Light comes back on and the Tach drops to zero at the above RPM readings. What do ya'll think about the situation as well as the electrical drain?
Old May 19th, 2009, 01:40 PM
enjoi1968
Blake Pendleton
98 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeast
I have owned my 94 D-90, "The Beast" as my boys call it for about 8 months now. After reading the threads above I imagine my problem is the Alternator but I want to toss this out and see what y'all thought. I had a dead battery after "The Beast" sat for about a week. No big deal, I jumped it and it ran fine for the weekend. A few days later I had a dead battery again. I jumped it and went down and bought a new battery since the old one was about 8 years old. When I swapped out the old battery it look as if it had boiled over. I had not seen that before. Hmmmmmm..... The new battery was fine until "The Beast" sat for more than 2 days...dead again. I figure I have a drain somewhere so the fix is to drive it every 2 days until I find the drain. It works.... Driving the other day I get a Battery Light and the Tachometer drops to zero (never had that before). Now here is the interesting part. When I start the motor the Battery light stays on and the Tach stays at zero. The Tach comes alive at 2000-2200 RPM and the Battery light goes out at approx 2500 rpm. When the motor slows back down the Battery Light comes back on and the Tach drops to zero at the above RPM readings. What do ya'll think about the situation as well as the electrical drain?
I'd put my money on a bad alternator, between the tach issues and not to mention a bad cell in a battery can cause an alternator to crap the bed.

Advnaced, napa, pep boys, I believe they all will test for free.

I would find out if you need alternator for sure, then volt test the batt while off, running engine and under load (ac, lights, idle)

not running 12.3-12.5
running 13.6-14.3
underload should be pretty close to running voltage.
Old May 19th, 2009, 01:45 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Bad alternator. Replace before it kills something else.
Old June 8th, 2009, 01:55 PM
TheBeast
Dane Block
1994 D-90 #1440

New Alt fixed the problem. All is working fine now thanks for the help!
Old June 21st, 2009, 09:18 PM
rr1
john
1997 D-90

For what it's worth - my '97 90 was killing the battery too - and the tach would sometimes work, and then not...I replaced the alternator, but that didn't do it. I took it to West Coast Rovers and they found a short somewhere behind the dash that was draining the system. I don't know which part it was, but they said something had been corroded by water. Took them a few days of trial and error to find it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, battery, ht