Battery Issue or Charging Issue? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 18th, 2016, 09:04 PM
icnsltmfg
Adam
1988 D90 RHD 19J

Registry
Battery Issue or Charging Issue?

I have been driving the truck most days and when I get in and turn the key the volt meter is showing about 11V, once started it showing about 13V+...I assume that with it running and getting that voltage the alternator is putting out a good current, but the battery may be on its way out....there were a few times this winter when it had not been used for a few weeks that it dropped too low to start and needed to be jumped...think its the battery?

2017 Range Rover L405 HSE TD6
2008 Range Rover HSE L322/MkIII - Gone but not forgotten
1988 D90 County RHD 2.5TD
2015 Porsche Cayenne TD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2016, 09:59 PM
cowboy
steven
'84 110 & '90 127 LHD 2-carb V8's

Hmmm, have you considered dropping in on your local auto parts shop to have the battery tested? - not too long ago, they would always ask that you pull the battery for several hours of bench testing that included a full recharge, but some of them are now doing freebie under-the-hood testing with spendy handheld testing units that only take a few minutes & that also test the alternator. Maybe something to do while you can still drive it over there?
Old May 18th, 2016, 11:25 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Don't trust your gauge. Put a volt meter directly on the battery--and post your results. Mine does that--I need to fix that... I'm going to take a direct line from battery to terminal and see what result I get on my gauge...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2016, 01:03 AM
icnsltmfg
Adam
1988 D90 RHD 19J

Registry
Good idea...will do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
Don't trust your gauge. Put a volt meter directly on the battery--and post your results. Mine does that--I need to fix that... I'm going to take a direct line from battery to terminal and see what result I get on my gauge...

2017 Range Rover L405 HSE TD6
2008 Range Rover HSE L322/MkIII - Gone but not forgotten
1988 D90 County RHD 2.5TD
2015 Porsche Cayenne TD
Old May 19th, 2016, 01:25 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

Concur with auto parts store recommendation--I just posted a question ( http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ors-40135.html ) re. a similar issue with a 300TDi--volts on the madman ems (which gets its positive juice from the fuse block and is grounded to the engine, so not true across-the-terminals voltage) were reading as low as 12.8V with headlights and A/C running, usually around 13.4 at highway speeds with no serious juice-drainers on.

Went to Auto Zone and they put one of those testers on it, had me take it to 1500ish RPMs and hold it, monitored voltage during starting, and checked battery amperage with the engine off. They said it was good to go--13.4 no load, 13.2 under load (fan and lights on), all within spec, according to the machine.

So that saved me a couple hundred bucks. I'll just keep an eye on the voltmeter and re-engage if the readings drop at all.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
battery