battery/ electrical issues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 23rd, 2004, 02:52 PM
Steven Brooks
'94 D-90 #1281
battery/ electrical issues

I have a '94 D-90 which is a third car and so it sits for extended periods. I have several auxiliary electrical options including a winch and Hella lights. I have engine starting trouble requiring frequent jumps. I am on my second yellow spiral cell battery (which is 2 yrs old) and I replaced the alternator 4 years ago. The car won't start again despite a jump and then driving for 30 minutes. If it is the alternator, is there a better alternator to install. If it is the battery, is there a better alternative than the yellow Optima spiral cell? I would appreciate any feedback. You can post to this thread here, or email me at

Old April 23rd, 2004, 03:05 PM
Mike Hippert
94 D-90 Grinding Rover
Steve, easiest solution by far is to take it to the autoparts store and have them run a test on the battery and charging system. If it is the battery again, I would suggest getting a battery cutoff switch so when you leave it off for long periods the battery does not get drained. You could also buy a solar panel or a trickle charger to keep the battery toped up.
Don't forget to Search first then ask questions later! The loose nut behind the wheel

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

battery, electrical