Battery drain issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 19th, 2014, 08:53 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Battery drain issue

My 90 seems to be loosing charge. What is strange is that I don't see too much coming out of the battery when the car is off---I am reading a total of .026A, of which .017 A is my sub woofer which I have temporarily unplugged. So .009A seems pretty darn typical/reasonable for the accessories like the clock, stereo and ECU in the off position. When the car is running, the battery charges fine and the battery gets to over 13V DC but then when it sits, just a matter of days, the battery drains to under 12V. My battery is rather new, less than a year, and it is the Odyssey 2150, an absolute beast of a battery.

I am thinking I may need to get the battery checked out---that said, doesn't .026A draw seem too low to drain the battery over a 3 or 4 day period?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2014, 09:00 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
With the engine running and the alternator charging, you should be seeing 14.4 at the battery. If it's only at 13-sumthin, I'd wonder if I had a bad cell.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old March 19th, 2014, 09:04 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
If the nominal battery voltage is 12V then there's nothing wrong with the voltage being slightly under 12V.

Are you having problems starting?

26mA at 90Ah capacity should last 144 days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2014, 09:08 PM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

You're measuring that draw between ground and battery post (lifted lead) I'm assuming. That is not an unreasonable draw. The other issue could be a bad diode in the alternator since you mention charging voltage only over 13v when it should be close to 14.5v. It can drain the battery easily. I had a similar issue in my suburban until I swapped out the alternator. You might consider swapping in another good battery (any would do) to see if it repeats the problem too. Having that high dollar battery checked, if you purchased it local, couldn't hurt.
Old March 19th, 2014, 09:15 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
The first thing to do would be to check your battery, as others have already stated. I've seen batteries do some strange things over the years, and no brand battery is perfect.
Old March 19th, 2014, 09:17 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Sorry--I meant that the battery, when fully charged, reads about 13.3V. The battery, with the truck running in idle, reads 14.4V.
Old March 19th, 2014, 10:03 PM
Videoguy
Ron
1997 Defender 90 SW

Battery

Sounds like the charging circuit is ok. Do a load test on the battery. That's a great quality battery but may have an internal short......that could lead to a fire.
Old March 19th, 2014, 10:27 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Yeah, I am stumped. I will take it in for a test--just pulled the receipt, bought it in 6/13 so it is still pretty fresh...
Old March 20th, 2014, 06:48 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Are you having problems starting?
Old March 20th, 2014, 07:48 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
I am reading a total of .026A, of which .017 A is my sub woofer which I have temporarily unplugged.
I have a theory based on experience dealing with my sons 1993 Range Rover.
The RR has an Isuzu 4JB1T with a 200amp alternator.
He has the back of the vehicle packed with a speaker box complete with sub woofers.
There is also a big amplifier.

He has gone through 3 batteries being so damn cool blasting ear drums and so on.
I drive the RR to keep it in occasional use and noticed when the amp and speakers are blasting at idle, the battery voltage drops down even with the 200amp alternator.
This constant drop and quick recharge when you come off idle damages the battery to a point that it no longer holds a full charge.

Batteries aren't designed to be quickly drained and quickly recharged.
They are designed to be slowly drained and slowly recharged.

This weekend when it was warm, I decided to go for a drive in the RR and sure enough the battery was under 8 volts after sitting for a week and it needed a jump to start. Driving it was fine and it would immediately restart.
Sat overnight and the battery was drained again.

From the limited research I did, the problem is common.
The solution is to isolate the car battery from a special audio battery with a split charger.
The audio battery is hooked up to the stereo equipment and the car battery is hooked up to everything else.
That way, the stereo can't ruin the car battery and the vehicle will start when you need it too, provided you don't have a diode drain as Mark suggests...

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old March 20th, 2014, 08:35 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Although in your situation that may be all true, but my amps and sub are not that big and we are talking a huge battery with the 2150 that is designed for rough service and draining. I currently have in my 8 year old PC2150 and it is working just fine--I have had the same stereo/sub for it's entire 8 years of use (why I changed it to a new one was user error--it turned out to be the starter but I figured 8 years in I might as well change it anyways). This battery is only 8 months old and it only gets moderate stereo use.

It is at Battery Systems getting checked out. The initial check had it's cranking amps at a paltry 400A so they are charging it over night and we will make a determination in the morning. Another reason I went with the 2150 is odysseys' warranty---4 year full replacement... not bad at all.

I'll know more tomorrow, but right now I have no clue what may have gone wrong. The battery may just have been a bad battery. Or maybe the alternator is bleeding AC current and damaged it (I used my DMM to check it and I am getting very little AC so I doubt it although i will end up taking it to a shop to get a good reading, or borrow an oscilloscope). It sure seems though that it is the battery...
Old March 20th, 2014, 10:50 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

I killed my 2150, solution after tracing the drain was a stuck turn signal relay.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old March 21st, 2014, 07:55 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

This was a dead battery--no clue why, but they replaced it no questions asked (after they tested it). One more reason why I like this battery and Odyssey--4 year warranty on full replacement---that is standing behind a product...
Old March 21st, 2014, 08:03 PM
asetliff
Adam Setliff
2A 109 Four Door 07 RRSC

Just curious as to how much this vehicle gets driven? Daily, weekly, how long of a drive?
Old March 21st, 2014, 08:09 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

It varies. Sometimes I take it on my commute to denver (about 30 miles each way)--about twice a month. I (or my wife) drive it around town, about 10 miles, about 2 or 3 times a week. When it originally went "flat", it was sitting for a couple weeks in extreme cold, but this has happened before on the last battery about 2 dozen times without going down.

They tested it and they said it is completely shot. I am going to have a shop run a diagnosis on my alternator just to make sure there isn't leaking AC current--I am fairly certain it is normal based on my MM tests, but I don't mind just making sure. Truck sat two days on the last (old, 8 yr) battery and the .025A drain didn't make a dent--so it isn't my electronics...
Old March 22nd, 2014, 07:49 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
It would be a bad idea to put a cheap battery maintainer on it if you let it sit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
battery, drain