Battery cut-off switch install - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 23rd, 2011, 10:23 PM
ditskovich
dmitry
Range Rover Sport 2013

Battery cut-off switch install

Where is the best place to install battery cut-off switch?
Should I brake positive or negative circuit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 25th, 2011, 08:30 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Actually I'd like to know the same thing....I've got a marine-grade cutoff switch I've been meaning to install but havent decided where to put it. Certainly could go on or near the battery/seat box I was thinking.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old August 25th, 2011, 08:59 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I would break the Positive side... Then you can run a jumper to your radio and other stuff you would like to keep their settings.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 25th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I tried breaking negative side as it's safer, but I found that it doesn't truely kill power to a lot of things as they sometimes get a ground from somewhere else.

I mounted my kill switch right on the battery box and have a protective plate around it so it doesn't get accidentally bumped.

Semper Fi!
Old August 25th, 2011, 10:16 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Jonathan, can you post a pic of your mount?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old August 25th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Chris Vitale
Chris
'95 D90 ST 2.8L TDi #2050

I used the Blue Sea 350 AMP 4-Position Compact Battery Switch.

This switch is rated 350A continuous/600A Intermittent/2000A cranking with the new Engine Starting Standard.

As you can see from the pictures, I interrupted the positive despite best practices to interrupt the ground. I did this for the same reason mentioned above...concerned that some of the systems would find a ground elsewhere.

I run all positive through this switch, including:
- Engine
- continuous and switch fuse panels to run accessories (CB, Stereo, lights, seat heaters, 12v power, etc...)
- AMP for stereo
- winch

This switch meets all of my needs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	836
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	41337   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	41338  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	41339  
Old August 25th, 2011, 11:57 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Having rewired the entire truck, I can guarantee you that every connection in an 80's UK Defender is body grounded.
Old August 25th, 2011, 12:05 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Having rewired the entire truck, I can guarantee you that every connection in an 80's UK Defender is body grounded.
Even the positive ones...

Old August 25th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
I tried breaking negative side as it's safer, but I found that it doesn't truely kill power to a lot of things as they sometimes get a ground from somewhere else.
If you break the connection between the negative post and the vehicle it's not possible for them to get a ground somewhere else.
That said, I always break the supply cable.

For the OP, what are you trying to achieve? Security? No battery drain? Emergency kill for a winch?

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old August 25th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post
If you break the connection between the negative post and the vehicle it's not possible for them to get a ground somewhere else.
Technically, yes. But if you want to leave something connected, like a stereo or other things that require constant power, and thus a ground, that screws with cutting the ground. You hqave to truely isolate those electronics that you want to have constant power.

Semper Fi!
Old August 25th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris
'95 D90 ST 2.8L TDi #2050

To Jon's point, I interrupted the positive as my winch positive is isolated to switch #2 (grounded to frame), and all other electronics are on switch #1. The purpose of isolating the winch to switch #2 is for safety reasons, god forbid, in the event of a front-end accident.

I always run on switch #1 unless I need to winch...then, I switch to "both".

I also like the ability to switch all power to "off" when I do not plan to use the vehicle for a while.
Old August 25th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have a separate winch cuttoff switch under the hood that stays off unless I am wheeling.

------ Follow up post added August 25th, 2011 01:41 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Jonathan, can you post a pic of your mount?
I'll post some pics tonight.

Semper Fi!
Old August 25th, 2011, 03:03 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

There are some advantages to using the neg cable connection to a mc switch, but generally most use the pos. Two things to be careful of, one that if you have an unsealed battery and you mount the switch in the bat. compartment, make sure you have ventilation. Second, make sure you choose a switch that is rated for the amps req'd, especially the starting demand.
Old August 27th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Nathanwind,
Here's my cutoff switch. It a simple Hella brand switch with removable key. I bent a bracket to protect it from accidental disconnect. Nothing fancy, but it works.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3327923714.png
Views:	318
Size:	882.1 KB
ID:	41406  

Semper Fi!
Old August 28th, 2011, 01:49 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrc.swb View Post
Even the positive ones...

Hmmm.... looking at the state of some of those lucas looms, i'm not entirely sure about that one!
Old February 5th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Rosproline157
Matt Oaks
1992 Defender 90

Registry
This thread is really interesting. I searched it, hoping to find some better answers. I too, would like to use my negative battery cable inorder not to interupt any constant powers.

I am looking to install a cut-off switch as a form of security. Any suggestions where to mount in? I really dont want to lift my seat off to get to the battery box everytime I am at the store. Inside the center console is an option. Anywhere else?

Thanks in advance.
Old February 5th, 2012, 05:03 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
I don't have time to look right now but I seem to remember that they made (used to make?) cut off switches that still allowed a small current to flow for things like clocks and radio backup memories, etc.? They had a fuse or a circuit breaker and if you tried to pull a large current such as when starting they tripped/blew and you couldn't start the vehicle. Might answer some of the problems with a straight kill switch for those with constant voltage devices.

No experience with them, never used one but seem to remember they exist...
Old February 6th, 2012, 05:43 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
If it is just for security, you could do a toggle somwhere that simply interupts power to the fuel pump.
x2 if you want it for vehicle security. A lot easier to hide. If you want to get really creative you could "mask" them as 4 or 5 auxiliary light switches and wire them so they have to be set in a certain order (i.e. on-off-off-on-on) in order to get power to the pump.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old February 6th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Rosproline157
Matt Oaks
1992 Defender 90

Registry
Good Idea
Old February 6th, 2012, 07:05 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
So if killing the fuel pump, I've got a battery power lead that runs from the battery direct to the factory fuse box under the passenger seat (that contains fuses for things like the fuel pump).. In theory could one just install a cutoff switch to interrupt this lead, thereby serving the purpose?

I have a very heavy duty marine switch (shown here: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...1&d=1294420661) that I was planning to use, but would be overkill for just that small 8gauge lead wire I'd think.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
battery, switch