Battery Configuration - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 25th, 2015, 05:31 PM
kp3ma
Kevin
None

Battery Configuration

Just purchased '88 Defender 110 w/ 2.5L 19J engine (LHD).

There is only one battery but has cable for auxiliary battery and shut off. There is no ground hook up on the unattached cable (see pic) - assume grounded to the shut off?

There is a winch on front.

See pic of the battery box with the cables. Any thoughts on the proper configuration? Should I add another battery?

Any advice is appreciated.... new and learning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9899.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	135583   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9905.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	135584  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 25th, 2015, 05:38 PM
javelinadave
-
-

What is the extra cable hooked up to? It's not something that came standard.
Old November 25th, 2015, 05:44 PM
kp3ma
Kevin
None

It is just as you see.... it is not hooked to anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 25th, 2015, 07:52 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp3ma View Post
It is just as you see.... it is not hooked to anything.
Remove it. Had one of those unconnected loose wires. Intended for trailer wiring. It shorted against the bodywork. Blew fuse. Truck wouldn't start.

Wasn't until months later when adding in trailer wiring that we figured out why it blew.
Old November 25th, 2015, 08:03 PM
Tommieboy
Thomas
2000 Defender 110 TD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Remove it. Had one of those unconnected loose wires. Intended for trailer wiring. It shorted against the bodywork. Blew fuse. Truck wouldn't start.

Wasn't until months later when adding in trailer wiring that we figured out why it blew.

...or add an aux battery if you need it depending on how you intend to use the vehicle.
Old November 25th, 2015, 09:05 PM
kp3ma
Kevin
None

What is the real need for auxiliary battery? Needed for winch? Don't mind putting another in if better to have
Old November 25th, 2015, 09:13 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I would take that rat's nest out and start completely fresh. You can build new cables easily. Pos goes to your starter and the ground to the transfer case and from there to the frame. Use some good cable and marine-grade terminals and a single quality battery and you'll have a reliable power source for years to come.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...dux-26830.html

I've made some updates to my battery system since that first post; they're detailed further down in the thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old December 1st, 2015, 07:55 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Aux battery can serve multiple purposes. I think one is to have one battery for accessories and another for starting.
Old December 1st, 2015, 08:08 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
I have an aux battery in the rear LHS box of the 110 - it supplies power to Auxiliary stuff, and the trailer wiring for a charge to a caravan, or Expo Trailer...plus has a charge wire to the Alternator - so it acts in two modes.

As Doug found out (scared his pants off) make sure you tell people working on the truck...he disconnected the main battery - and couldn't figure out why it kept sparking
Old December 1st, 2015, 08:57 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
I have an aux battery in the rear LHS box of the 110 - it supplies power to Auxiliary stuff, and the trailer wiring for a charge to a caravan, or Expo Trailer...plus has a charge wire to the Alternator - so it acts in two modes. As Doug found out (scared his pants off) make sure you tell people working on the truck...he disconnected the main battery - and couldn't figure out why it kept sparking

Rotflmao.

The mental image that creates is brilliant!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
battery