Battery Compartment under seat - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 27th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Battery Compartment under seat

Hi,

I have questions about the battery compartment under the drivers seat.......I was trying to really clean the interior yesterday..........

I am the one who bought the Defender new, owned it for 7 years.....sold it to a friend........and then bought it back 4 years later. Either I never paid much attention to this area, or I have forgotten what it should look like.

--------------------

My area under the driver's seat is a mess. What am I looking at here? The battery is fairly new and in good condition. There are items (jack?) wraped up with white stained cloth. The bottom of the compartment has a lot of rust. There are steel sticks (partly rusted0 with nuts and washers loosly attached, in that area (I am guessing these should hold the battery down). There are 4 slots through the bottom of the compartment......maybe those slots are there to hold the steel sticks hooks?

It was getting dark last night - so I put the truck back together. I was going to check the manual - BUT I thought I would ask people on this chat page.

I am sure that someone out there has some really good pictures of what this compartment should look like in super clean condition..........

Thanks.........Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 27th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I wish pictures of mine would help, as it is in great condition, but not only is mine a 94, but the battery rack is definitely non-standard.

The sticks you describe definitely sound like a parts for the hold-down. I take it your battery isn't strapped down? I highly recommend doing that, it's critically important if you do any off-roading and still a very good idea just for normal driving.

Unless you specifically want to stay with Land Rover parts, you can put a good battery tray in there fairly inexpensively. Summit sells a stainless battery tray and hold-down set for only $20.00 or you can get cheap generic ones at local auto-part stores as well.

Since mine is a '94, it only has the battery in that compartment. The jack and everything else is under the passenger seat on mine, with the computer in a different spot.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 27th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

the J end of the hook goes into the slot and hooks between 2 of the slots. You should have a small piece of angle iron with 3 holes in it, pass the other end of the J hook through one of the holes and tighten down the nut on it. The battery should fit under the angle iron between the J hooks.

I would take a pic of mine but it is dirty :P and I am at work cunducting crazy experiments on wacky products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 27th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
really good pictures of what [insert any part of vehicle] should look like in super clean condition..........
Scour the Expedition Exchange website. I opine.

Mine is a '97. Under the driver's seat, besides the battery bracket already described, there were two wheel chocks, the bottle jack (retained by a rubber loop), two sections of handle for the jack, and a rinky-dink tool kit (with some Defender-specific bits).
Old March 27th, 2006, 09:27 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Another solution is to use one of the pull or rachet tie downs to hold the battery. I use one pull one for both optimas and it has never failed on plenty of nasty roads. You can attach it and number of ways. It also makes it easy to get the batteries out.
Old March 28th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Thanks for all the replies........Still waiting for that picture to inspire me! Just kidding........

One thing for sure......I need to open that compartment back up and make sure the battery is secure. I do not believe it is right now, and I need to fix that. Mike - I will first look in there closely and see if I have that Angle Iron.........

Thanks again!

Flagg

Follow-up Post:

Next weekend will be the outside of the car!
Old March 28th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
In mine (1991 ex-MOD) it uses normal hook hold-down exactly the same as any "traditional" car. In fact I replaced mine a little while ago from the generic ones at the auto parts store and they were identical.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 08:32 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

HI,

Thanks everyone for the responses........Well, my compartment still ain't pretty - BUT the battery is now firmly held down. For now I was able to find, and use all the parts that I guess were original. All the pieces that Mike had described were in the compartment.

I may get a battery tray at some point. Seems like a bad idea just to have the battery sitting right against the bare metal.

The battery in there now is an Optima Redtop. It was put in in Feburary 2003. Will this battery last me a few more years? Have people had good experience with these batteries?

Thanks for everyones help.

Flagg
Old April 2nd, 2006, 09:23 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Lots of people have had very good experiences with Optimas, and only recently have I heard a fair amount of bitching. The bitching seems to be focused on batteries purchased in the last year or so, and they've simply not held up. Sure, they're covered by warranty, but you have to ship them back and forth.

If yours is doing fine, I'd leave it alone and run with it for another year or so.
Old April 2nd, 2006, 09:26 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I have a red top its been a great battery never lets me down or given any issues its compact I think I like it pretty good. maybe its three years old
Old April 2nd, 2006, 11:16 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

2 things--first is that often times the bottom of the tray rusts so those little grate bars actually break (mine did, at least), so just keep an eye on it. I welded a new tray to the bottom of the floor of the compartment to correct mine.

Second, Costco had yellow optima batteries, $139. Not bad. They only had red before (now they have both).
Old May 15th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

I bought a battery tray from summit, but even though it is a simple design, the lack of directions and hardware has me a little confused.

I am specifically interested in where the 2 little 90 degree angle pieces go. I assume they are bolted to the bar that goes over the top of the battery, but the whole unit looks so pretty that I would like to get it set up the correct way and not jury rig it.

Any help is much appreciated!

PS. I thought it was funny how at Summit they advertise free shipping, but then charge $10 for handling fees!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
battery, part