Battery charging solutions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 13th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Trae Reuwer
94 D90
Battery charging solutions

Looking for some input here on an "ideal" solution. I have a dual battery setup that is monitored by a national luna dual controller and split charge system, and although I haven't had an instance where my batteries have run down I'm not comfortable with the low charge level they have if I left my truck sit for a while. My feeling is that if I can keep the batteries topped up they'll last longer rather than having this repeated power up with the alternator and then slow drain.

Now, on my motorcycles I have a battery tender that works great for long term storage, and I'd like to do something similar for my truck. The problem is that my batteries are in unusual locations and of course there's two of them- I do have a warn quick connect mounted in a convenient location, but I couldn't find a charging solution on Warn's site.

My idea is to buy a spare quick connect with the leads and attach a battery tender to the leads, then I can just plug into the quick connect on the truck when I park it for a while. Does anyone see an issue with charging batteries this way, or is there a better solution that I'm missing??

Old January 13th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
It sounds like a reasonable solution and as long as you wire it up right, it should work fine. Maybe install the tender and use a socket style connector so you could take any old extension cord and plug in the vehicle?

Old January 13th, 2010, 02:24 PM
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi
For this purpose I bought a dual battery charger at a boat supplier that is fit for my batteries (2 x AGM). It is water and dust proof. I share the same setup as you do and my problem was that I use my Webasto heater extensively and sometime I don't run the truck for long enough periods of time to recharge the batteries. So I used a couple of quick couplings and plug the truck when I get home at the end of the day.

I also find those quick connectors handy for all my 12v needs like compressor, inverters, fridge ... They are allot stronger than the flimsy 12v standard cigarette lighter type ones and can take the vibrations without unplugging all the time.

" You never, ever, ever go full retard ! "

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder
Old January 13th, 2010, 03:52 PM
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
I use this:

Purchased here:

These chargers have a really good charging system. I went largish as I run a Webasto and I wanted to be able to keep up with it. You could get one of the smaller models for your needs. The 3 Amp version is nice and low cost:

If you want waterproof, they have those as well:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions