Batt disconnect switch help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 9th, 2012, 08:47 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Batt disconnect switch help

The disconnect switch that was in my truck was a POS. It had a screwy connection or something so it was constantly disconnecting on it's own. I have it bypassed right now but plan to replace it. Is there one that is better than others or are they all pretty equal. The Blue Sea ones look sturdy but I liked having the option of turning it off and pulling the stem out if I am leaving the truck somewhere. Any advice is appreciated.

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Is the disconnect for the starting battery or a winch battery? One for a winch battery would require a higher capacity.
What I use for a winch is described here: http://siteground237.com/~gunsandr/s...ull=1#post9778
It's a Cole Hersee 2000amp, but they have a wide variety of lower rated ones that would be suitable for a starting battery.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old June 10th, 2012, 12:12 AM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Right now it's just a starter battery but I will be adding a winch and lights soon. Can I get one switch that has multiple settings or do I need different switches for each function? I saw some Blue Sea ones that have a panel with multiple switches. I will be sticking with one battery, I have the big Die Hard Platinum marine battery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe

If you are running a winch off the single battery a two position (ON-OFF) switch is all you need. If that's your plan I'd go ahead and get one that has the capacity to support a winch, like the one I referenced. A few other companies make them as well, including Blue Sea I think.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old June 10th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe

I don't know about the Blue Sea one, but the keyed Hella ones I've seen were just a simple stamped key that isn't very secure. Cole Hersee makes some with a key like the Hella and also some with "real" keys. I prefer just using the 24505 lockout with a padlock.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old June 11th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post
Is the disconnect for the starting battery or a winch battery? One for a winch battery would require a higher capacity.
What I use for a winch is described here: http://siteground237.com/~gunsandr/s...ull=1#post9778
It's a Cole Hersee 2000amp, but they have a wide variety of lower rated ones that would be suitable for a starting battery.
Just out of curiosity, where are you coming up with that 2000 amp figure? What I mean is, on what basis you choose that rating?

Also, for those of you who are putting in a battery switch, what is the reason? Theft protection? Fire protection?

I'm adding a winch right now so I've been mulling these things over as well.
Old June 11th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Spalding View Post
Just out of curiosity, where are you coming up with that 2000 amp figure? What I mean is, on what basis you choose that rating?
It's 2000A intermittent (30 sec) and goes down from there to 300A continuous. Cole Hersee sent me a graph of the capacity/time rating and IIRC it was 500A for 10-15 min. I figured I'd not be running any of my winches for anywhere near that long at 500A.

Quote:
Also, for those of you who are putting in a battery switch, what is the reason? Theft protection? Fire protection?
I use them primarily as an emergency shut off in the event a solenoid or controller switch sticks in the on position.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
disco, switch