Defender Source Forum banner

Basic suspension question, tires rubbing

Tags
tire tires
1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Jpayne 
#1 ·
So I put 255/85s on my truck with alloys and 1.5" spacers. I believe that I have the stock suspension from 1983.

As it is, if I hit a bump in the road I get some rubbing on the flares and it looks like it could really tear things up quickly if I got anything close to articulation going on.

A couple of questions:

Is trimming the flares enough to solve the problem?

If I get some combination of springs and shocks that provide a 2" lift does all this go away?

Is the typical spring setup for a 110 to have HD in rear and MD in front?

I don't want some crazy lift or anything, but wouldn't mind a couple of inches so I don't have to get DC driveshaft or any other major components at this point.

I know many people run these tires and spacers, so tell me what I'm missing!

Thanks as always for your suggestions.

Jeff

See less See more
#2 ·
Stock suspension from '83, as in the original suspension, or newer stock? If the springs are old, they have probably sagged. I would consider new genuine springs, if you don't want a lift. If you want a lift over the new stock height, then look OME, RTE or perhaps genuine HD.

#3 ·
grnrvrs said:
Stock suspension from '83, as in the original suspension, or newer stock? If the springs are old, they have probably sagged. I would consider new genuine springs, if you don't want a lift. If you want a lift over the new stock height, then look OME, RTE or perhaps genuine HD.
I imagine stock suspension from 1983, but I'm really not sure. They are definitely old, no paint left and a nice coating of rust all over.

My goal here is not to get a lift necessarily, but to avoid tearing up my truck. If I have to lift it, a couple of inches would be fine. I'm sure anything I put on will lift it since mine have most likely sagged.

#5 ·
SPRINGS DO NOT AFFECT TIRE CLEARANCE!!!!! Shocks and bumpstops control maximum travel.

You can trim the flares or remove the spacers. Springs will only hide the problems and the rubbing will happen off road.

#6 ·
If you remove the spacers the tyres will probably rub on the hockey sticks on full lock but you can adjust the steering stops to correct this. You will loose turning circle though.

As for springs I run stock 90 springs on the front and 130 outer springs on the rear, gives about +1" and no steering, prop shaft or brake line issues. But springs don't affect clearance, it will still rub as the suspension compresses

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.