Basic suspension question, tires rubbing - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 20th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Basic suspension question, tires rubbing

So I put 255/85s on my truck with alloys and 1.5" spacers. I believe that I have the stock suspension from 1983.

As it is, if I hit a bump in the road I get some rubbing on the flares and it looks like it could really tear things up quickly if I got anything close to articulation going on.

A couple of questions:

Is trimming the flares enough to solve the problem?

If I get some combination of springs and shocks that provide a 2" lift does all this go away?

Is the typical spring setup for a 110 to have HD in rear and MD in front?

I don't want some crazy lift or anything, but wouldn't mind a couple of inches so I don't have to get DC driveshaft or any other major components at this point.

I know many people run these tires and spacers, so tell me what I'm missing!

Thanks as always for your suggestions.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2011, 10:24 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Stock suspension from '83, as in the original suspension, or newer stock? If the springs are old, they have probably sagged. I would consider new genuine springs, if you don't want a lift. If you want a lift over the new stock height, then look OME, RTE or perhaps genuine HD.
Old May 20th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs
Stock suspension from '83, as in the original suspension, or newer stock? If the springs are old, they have probably sagged. I would consider new genuine springs, if you don't want a lift. If you want a lift over the new stock height, then look OME, RTE or perhaps genuine HD.
I imagine stock suspension from 1983, but I'm really not sure. They are definitely old, no paint left and a nice coating of rust all over.

My goal here is not to get a lift necessarily, but to avoid tearing up my truck. If I have to lift it, a couple of inches would be fine. I'm sure anything I put on will lift it since mine have most likely sagged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2011, 11:42 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Sounds like your springs are past due. IMO, get some new stock springs, unless you are looking for a lift or are planning on consistently carrying very heavy loads.
Old May 21st, 2011, 12:00 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
SPRINGS DO NOT AFFECT TIRE CLEARANCE!!!!! Shocks and bumpstops control maximum travel.

You can trim the flares or remove the spacers. Springs will only hide the problems and the rubbing will happen off road.
Old May 21st, 2011, 03:54 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
SPRINGS DO NOT AFFECT TIRE CLEARANCE!!!!! Shocks and bumpstops control maximum travel.

You can trim the flares or remove the spacers. Springs will only hide the problems and the rubbing will happen off road.
If you remove the spacers the tyres will probably rub on the hockey sticks on full lock but you can adjust the steering stops to correct this. You will loose turning circle though.

As for springs I run stock 90 springs on the front and 130 outer springs on the rear, gives about +1" and no steering, prop shaft or brake line issues. But springs don't affect clearance, it will still rub as the suspension compresses
Old May 26th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Ok thanks. What I understand then is that I should either remove the spacers or trim the flares to fix this. I think I like the spacers, so I will look into trimming.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tire, tires