Banging Noise - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 22nd, 2007, 01:01 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider
1994 Portofino ST: #217

Registry
Banging Noise

I have searched and found some great info, but wanted to post also for some feedback. Just recently replaced the stock driveshafts with custom tom woods double cardan shafts and just replaced motor mounts and tc mounts. Used the qt service mounts for the motor, stock rubber mounts for tc.

Prior to these updates, had a metal vibration type sound appear when motor/exhaust/etc. reached normal temp. Happened during deceleration at stops. Thought maybe a cat was going bad. Since these updates, have a banging clanging noise when decelerating and accelerating. Kinda sounds like the driveshaft is banging the crossmember or something. Inspected, didn't notice anything of the sort.

This is really weird. Wondering if it could be since the driveline angle has been kinda bad, with the stock shafts and 3"lift, that by allieviating this with the double cardan shaft it released some sort of failure in the tc or transmission? Bearing?

Anyone experience a similar issue with brand new double cardan shafts with brand new spicer u joints? Is there a "break in" period that may cause this banging noise?

Any advice would be appreiciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2007, 03:50 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

There are a lot of unrelated things that can cause those noises. For instance, I had a very worn-out steering joint that allowed a lot of the longer steering rods too much clearance, resulting in a bonking sound when accellerating, shifting and stopping quickly.

Other folks have had similar sounds coming from worn out suspension bushings.

The stock style cats have a tendency to break apart internally sometimes, which causes rattling noises at times.

I'd start by just getting under there when the truck is cool, grabbing various things and giving them a good shake.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:15 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I would start by checking the frame-to-trailing arm bushing and frame to radius arm bushings as well as your rear A-Arm joint. Since you are referring to accel/brake occurances, these make most sense to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2007, 09:06 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

x2 check your bushings....

Are you refering to the slack in the drivetrain?

How loud of a "bonk"?
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:02 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider

Registry
I plan to get under it tomorrow and shake some stuff around. I'll check the bushings too. The rear links are new, so hope those aren't bad already. Could be the front radius arms. Those are still stock. Its just kinds weird that it was not there prior to mounts and shafts, then bang!

It sounds like someone taking a hammer and hitting the frame. Would this start in the drivetrain after double cardan shafts allievate angle issues?
Old February 24th, 2007, 11:17 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider

Registry
Well, checked everything. Seems fine. Drove around and the clanging noise still there. Think either new u-joint bad or transfer case. Really strange. I am baffled.
Old February 25th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Did you check the A-arm ball joint? If so, how did you check it?
Old February 25th, 2007, 07:28 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider

Registry
Visually checked it and grabbed it to see if it was loose. Seemed okay. Is there another way to check it? Clue me in.
The clanging noise seems to occur when rpms are around 2000 and decelerating. Its like a bonk, bonk, bonk, as the driveshaft comes to a stop and is rotating. May be out of balance or input/output angle issue?
Old February 25th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Might also be a bad U-joint, they can be deceptively hard to diagnose. To really check them, you need to chock the rear wheels and put everything in neutral. Otherwise, because of the location of the parking brake, the tension on the driveshaft can make them SEEM solid even if they are about to collapse.

-Hans

Old February 25th, 2007, 09:48 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider

Registry
These are brand new. Guess there could always be a bad one.
Old February 28th, 2007, 01:08 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider

Registry
Some friends of mine think it is coming from the transfer case. Anything in there that could be causing this noise?
Old March 2nd, 2007, 01:26 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiefffff
Some friends of mine think it is coming from the transfer case. Anything in there that could be causing this noise?
Hand brake shoe?
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old March 3rd, 2007, 06:01 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider

Registry
Checked the hand brake shoe. Its okay. 95% sure its the Transfer Case. Time to think about options of repair. Its getting worse eveyday.
Old March 4th, 2007, 01:27 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider

Registry
What are the options for the transfer case? Places to buy or rebuild? What have all of you done that had tc issues?
Got under truck again with it running and can hear a grinding type noise coming from the case. It may "explode" any day! My guess is that previous owner mechanic rounded off the fill plug on the transfer case. Last time oil was replaced, had to fill thru sensor. Done by dealer. My guess is that the gears are worn out due to abuse and since the drivetrain geometry has been corrected with new motor mounts and trans mounts, and new shafts, new diffs, etc., the bearing is bouncing around in the case and gear wear is more evident. Hope this diagnostic is correct! Sounds good anyway. Thanks for all of your suggestions.
Old March 4th, 2007, 01:48 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

New or reman for George
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old March 4th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Well, I also suggest checking if it's the "Clunk of doom" before ordering a transfer case. It may actually be the transmission output shaft wearing out, which extends into the transfer case. This would mean a new transmission, but the transfer case would be fine still.

Thankfully, that can be checked without much hassle. You just need to remove the PTO cover from the transfer case and the input gear will slide out for inspection. There are a few good websites that covert the problem, I'll see if I can dig them up later.

-Hans

Old March 4th, 2007, 07:17 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider

Registry
Thank you Hans. Will need to check that too. Can you explain how the dealer refilled the transfer case through the sensor? I would need to do the same since the fill plug will not come out. If it is the transmission output shaft, how long will it last before it goes? I may have multiple issues going on, which may result in both the transmission and transfer case. That would really suck.
Old March 4th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Refilled through the sensor? Maybe he removed the speedometer cable and filled through there? He would have to use one of those syphon tools, I forget the correct name.... it looks like giant syringe but with a flexible tube instead of a needle... I got mine at Napa.

Anyways, the output shaft could last months if you baby it (and if it IS actually a problem), or it could go anytime. Most people that had it go bad say it just goes out on them suddenly with no real warning, just CLUNK and the truck don't move anymore. But because the output shaft from the tranny goes really far into the transfer case, the problem will sound like it's the transfer going, even though the part that is failing is part of the transmission.

-Hans

Old March 5th, 2007, 12:29 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider

Registry
Can the shaft be replaced with the transfer case removed, or do you have to drop the transmission too? All I see are $$$$.
Another question, if one or the other or both need replacement, would you deal directly with Ashcroft in England or would you work through Atantic British or Rover North type outfit here in the states? Any cost savings? Thanks again for the feedback.
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Is that shaft a common problem on the 90's? I thought they addressed it in the 90's by adding an oil passage and that it was only really a problem on the '93 110's. I'm intrigued now...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions