Banging Noise - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 5th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Hans Haase
The Lab Rat
The shaft was an issue on the earlier 90's with the LT-77's as well, and not all of them got the retrofit parts. I've also heard that in some cases the LT-77's were replaced with R-380's under warranty.

Unfortunately, replacing the shaft means tearing down the transmission. But it is possible that it's already been repaired/upgraded, which is why you need to check before spending money on replacing the whole transmission.

You also mentioned that you need to replace the transfer case, what's wrong with it? They are usually one of the more durable parts of the truck.

My oil line fix

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 21st, 2007, 01:09 AM
JC Alvarez
1996 Discovery SE
D-90 Source Vendor
Any updates?

Previous Rovers
1996 Discover SE
1965 Series IIa 109'
1965 Series IIa 88'

Old March 21st, 2007, 11:56 AM
Keith Rider
1994 Portofino ST: #217
Just want to say thanks to all for the help. Under advice from Steve and Drew at Rovertym, I re-checked the rear pinion angle again. Took all the spacers out of the Rovertym rear links. So far, the banging, clanging noise I was hearing has gone away. The other noises, playing card in bike spokes, etc, are still there. My guess is tranny output shaft or TC input. At this time, plan to ride it till something breaks or gets to the point of having to replace. Hope it doesn't happen on my way out to Utah next year!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions