banging in drivetrain - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 13th, 2004, 04:36 PM
prospector
Brian Rekasis
95 d90

banging in drivetrain

'95, d-90.

In neutral there are baning sounds in the drivetrain. It almost sounds as if it's in gear and about to stall. Could it be mainshaft spline wear? I understand this was a known issue with the '95. I have not replaced the mainshaft / input gear yet.

Ideas?

thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2004, 05:12 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
do you have the R-380 tranny? I would think you did since its a 95... where is reverse right and down or up and left
Old June 13th, 2004, 06:14 PM
prospector
Brian Rekasis
95 d90

reverse is down and to the right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2004, 08:13 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
you got the R-380.. Otherwise I have no idea
Old June 14th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

It is happening in neutral, well then I would think that it is something before the trans like the clutch. Is this happening when parked? If you are parked, and in neutral try pushing in the clutch to see what happens.
Old June 14th, 2004, 08:15 PM
prospector
Brian Rekasis
95 d90

in neutral and rolling at slow speeds - 5- 15 mph. it happened while i was in stop-and-go freeway traffic (not a happy place for the defender).
Old June 14th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Brian,
Try backing off the park brake drum adjustment about 1 turn....it's the 17mm bolt head on the bottom of the park brake backing plate...if you have a slightly warped park brake drum and it catches as it comes around, you will get some major noise from the driveline ratcheting back and forth. If this takes care of the noise, you may need to have the drum turned or replaced and the park brake readjusted. Also, take a close look at the park brake cable and make sure that it is not burned on the exhaust pipe and that the heat shield is still in place.
Rob Dassler
Old June 14th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Doug_Paoletti
Douglas P. Paoletti
'94 D90

Not to hijack this thread, but....

I have been experiencing a loud bang whenever I let the clutch out any faster then EXTREMELY slow. This got worse when I lifted the D but has been aleviated somewhat by the install of the GBR CV front shaft. The noise is still there, however. During the front shaft install, I did notice that with the D parked and in gear I am able to turn the front shaft by hand about an inch or so before it meets any resistance (which is not the case with the rear shaft). I would assume this could be the source of the noise (and I would guess it ain't good). Any ideas what my problem might be?
Old June 14th, 2004, 11:17 PM
redrover

Clunk clunk clunk Its a rover and it will always go clunk. No actually the early boxes had some lubrication issues. The input shafts were not drilled to lubricate the gears properly and thus deteriated. And the clunk is magnified if you have a mannual tranny. The Autos shift so smooth that you dont get to enjoy the clunk. I had a 94 with lt77 and it was like driving a 70 yr old international harvester as far as gear precission. Many 77 s were replaced with r380 under warranty. I wish i had rebuilt the lt77, I thought it was a great rock crawling tanny. But you also should not rule out a bad u-joint. If you blow a u-joint- it could destroy some spendy nearby parts. Jp

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions