BANG! Power steering gone, coolant everywhere, truck dead. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 15th, 2011, 08:28 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Unhappy BANG! Power steering gone, coolant everywhere, truck dead.

Uggh. After just telling someone I've only been stranded once due to a stupid relay my truck dies a block a way from my house. (convenient at least.)

I heard a pretty loud bang!! with a rattle and 15 seconds later the power steering went, then I smelled coolant and then the truck died.

I expected to see the fan jammed into the radiator but I didn't. There was coolant all over the upper bonnet and even out the front grille.

I took a photo - please tell me the pulley on the fan is supposed to be at that angle!

What happened? FYI - I recently had the alternator replaced.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	d90_fan.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	40352  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2011, 08:32 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Looks like your water pump just died.
Old July 15th, 2011, 08:44 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Water pump came apart. Not too uncommon after replacing the alternator as you re-tensioned the belt and pissed off the water pump bearing.
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
and looks like the failure caused the belt to come apart, which knocked one of the radiator hoses off, which spraid coolant everywhere. the loss of the belt also explains why you lost power steering, as there was nothing turning the pump.

no worries. as long as the radiator isn't damaged, the water pump is pretty easy and cheap to replace.
Old July 15th, 2011, 09:25 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
and looks like the failure caused the belt to come apart, which knocked one of the radiator hoses off, which spraid coolant everywhere. the loss of the belt also explains why you lost power steering, as there was nothing turning the pump.

no worries. as long as the radiator isn't damaged, the water pump is pretty easy and cheap to replace.
Thanks guys. Yeah the radiator looks fine. I don't remember there being that angle on the pulley though. I hope that's normal. Funny I've owned 2 D90s for the last 10 years and I can't recall that angle.

Alas - always an adventure...
Old July 15th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Just did the same with my disco 2 weeks ago on an interstate mountain grade. I cooked the 4.0 looks like you were more fortunate. Took the heads off the next day and dropped them to be shaved-got the call too warped to save.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 15th, 2011, 09:58 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
If you're going to do the replacement yourself, I would humbly suggest also swapping in a new viscous clutch. And maybe the fan, too.
Old July 15th, 2011, 10:08 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Same thing happened to mine. Looked the same. Sucks but easy to repair
Old July 15th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Roverdoc
Dan Kemper
1997 D90 SW #278

The pulley is at an angle because your bearing failed...replace water pump, viscous clutch an fan while your there....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
coolant