Band Aid for 4.0 - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 20th, 2014, 10:35 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Would a 4.0 from a 96 Disco work? Any mods needed to fit it in a 97 Defender?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 20th, 2014, 11:41 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-441526765.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	488.0 KB
ID:	88266

Turned the last bolt, filled with coolant, prayed, and turned the key. Hard start, lots of smoke, and a 1600 to 1000 RPM idle. Let her warm up and then restarted. 600-700 RPM idle and smoother than before I started. Whew! 4 hour job turned into a 2 day affair after all the cleaning, vacuuming, and painting.

No detectable leaks yet from any of the normal suspects.

Next week, ripping off the front cover and going after the timing system, water pump, crank seal, and power steering hoses.
Old January 21st, 2014, 08:42 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Well at least you know its better than it was, keep driving it. Its not that bad, did you clean the oil pan out? When I first got my Classic I was using a lot of rislone and doing frequent filter changes. inevitably some crud got dislodged in the top end and blocked an oil passage. I had no choice but to keep driving the truck as I was hours from homw. ran it WFO on the highway,whatever was causing the blockage passed though. That was about 25k ago. Keep at it with Rislone or Marvelous Oil and frequent filter changes. I like the big Napa 1452, it holds about a quart of oil.
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2014, 09:20 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Nice to hear that it worked out. Not sure what the bottom of the '97s are like but I did my pan and pickup on my '95 and it felt good to clean up the junk in there - messy but not a bad job. I like evilfij's swap the oil filter every 500 miles until it gets light method.
Old January 21st, 2014, 09:32 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Thanks guys. I did not have time to pull the pan last night, but obviously will have to to do the front end work this weekend.

Good idea about the honkin NAPA filter every 500 miles. I started that MMO diet at Christmas and will continue that as well.
Old January 21st, 2014, 09:47 AM
MotoMando
Armando Centeno
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
Attachment 88266

Turned the last bolt, filled with coolant, prayed, and turned the key. Hard start, lots of smoke, and a 1600 to 1000 RPM idle. Let her warm up and then restarted. 600-700 RPM idle and smoother than before I started. Whew! 4 hour job turned into a 2 day affair after all the cleaning, vacuuming, and painting.

No detectable leaks yet from any of the normal suspects.

Next week, ripping off the front cover and going after the timing system, water pump, crank seal, and power steering hoses.
If you could do a step-by-step of the above timing system maintenance, that would be great. I plan to do mine when it gets warmer.
Old January 21st, 2014, 10:21 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMando View Post
If you could do a step-by-step of the above timing system maintenance, that would be great. I plan to do mine when it gets warmer.
I am probably the second to last person you want to take Rover mechanical advice from on this forum, but I definitely will try to do a pic/doc. I usually follow the RAVE and online pic/docs. Ill be posting it in my Smaller Projects thread.

To Do:

Water Pump and Gasket. Viscous Clutch. Lower Coolant Hose. Inspect Oil Pump. Front Cover Gasket. Blow out Radiator. Serp Belt. Tensioner. Power Steering Hoses. Amsoil Oil Change. Big Honkin Oil Filter. Front Crank Seal. Crucifix Seals. Clean out Oil Pickup. Re-seal sump.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions